sad: More than three in five Americans wouldn’t have money in their savings accounts to pay for...

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself

moreluck

golden ticket member
More than three in five Americans wouldn’t have money in their savings accounts to pay for an unexpected bill.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

this is a continuation of the theme of majority of public school students now in poverty thread.

capitalism and government policies really failing average american
Gee, how much money is in your Canadian bank account to pay your unexpected bills? ....like when mom & dad demand rent for that basement apartment. ???

rickyb

Gee, how much money is in your Canadian bank account to pay your unexpected bills? ....like when mom & dad demand rent for that basement apartment. ???

actually becuase of them im fine. when i was living alone working 42 hours a week earning $25/hr on a railway, i was saving less than $1000 a month, living in a dive and not spending anything other than food and gas. i cant believe people defend capitalism when most have so little to show for it. i cant imagine how much money per hour i was making that capitalist.

if i didnt have my parents i would probably move back to my old railway job, or i would be living with friends or living in my car right now.

i was thinking today its funny how people allow many employers to pay employees a starvation wage (minimum wage). the decent thing would be if a corporation is so unproductive that it can't support a living wage for its workers, that it shouldnt exist. but thats up to rest the of the population stuck in the matrix to figure out.

oldngray

nowhere special
albert-einstein-trolls.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Kid , when ever I can I use an old method for transactions , it's called cash .
For emergencies I use a credit card which is paid in full once the bill arrives .

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
actually becuase of them im fine. when i was living alone working 42 hours a week earning $25/hr on a railway, i was saving less than $1000 a month, living in a dive and not spending anything other than food and gas. i cant believe people defend capitalism when most have so little to show for it. i cant imagine how much money per hour i was making that capitalist.

if i didnt have my parents i would probably move back to my old railway job, or i would be living with friends or living in my car right now.

i was thinking today its funny how people allow many employers to pay employees a starvation wage (minimum wage). the decent thing would be if a corporation is so unproductive that it can't support a living wage for its workers, that it shouldnt exist. but thats up to rest the of the population stuck in the matrix to figure out.
Being able to save anything close to $1000 per month all expenses considered is pretty damn good if you ask me.

rickyb

Being able to save anything close to $1000 per month all expenses considered is pretty damn good if you ask me.

i was shocked. i when i earned 30 working for a railway staying at home with my parents, i never paid attention to how much i saved, i was always just good at it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There are plenty of UPS drivers that don't have enough in the bank for unexpected bills. There are plenty of people earning a third as much with nice bank accounts. Can't blame it all on the minimum wage.

rickyb

There are plenty of UPS drivers that don't have enough in the bank for unexpected bills. There are plenty of people earning a third as much with nice bank accounts. Can't blame it all on the minimum wage.

try living on your own on minimum wage full time and let me know how much you save. i dont blame it on minimum wage (although its certainly a problem), i blame it on capitalism itself and how for the past 50 years in developed countries capitalism has been leaving in search of lower wages overseas, and leaving behind low paying jobs with deteriorating conditions. UPS is an example ive seen posts on the forum how it was a good company and how workers like it less and less. same for the canadian railways.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Considering that a majority of the world's population makes just around $2/ day .
Just the fact that one has a bank account speaks volumes against your theory .

smapple

The presupposition here is that saving money for an emergency is somehow the right or smart move to make when the correct move would be to invest in some type of market that would accrue real interest between 7% and 12% and use the after tax gains to either reinvest or liquidate for the needed emergency. Easier said than done but "saving money" is no answer at all when the general idea is to get ahead not fall behind.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Saving money is no answer"(smapple)

Then why does your kid, a business owner, need a loan multiple times to repair equipment to keep working?
Because they failed to save anything for a rainy day like they've been told for 20 years and mom and dad (who do save) can be hit up for the money.
Gotta save some!!!!

rickyb

Considering that a majority of the world's population makes just around $2/ day .
Just the fact that one has a bank account speaks volumes against your theory .

its not theory. im quoting the wall street journal...what are you trying to say?

in addition the cost of goods around the world may be less for those people who earn $2 / day. and my guess is they are worse off than americans who cant save.

rickyb

The presupposition here is that saving money for an emergency is somehow the right or smart move to make when the correct move would be to invest in some type of market that would accrue real interest between 7% and 12% and use the after tax gains to either reinvest or liquidate for the needed emergency. Easier said than done but "saving money" is no answer at all when the general idea is to get ahead not fall behind.

i would make sure i have money for an emergency...

Morsi

I work for UPS part time unloading and i can definitely relate. Been blessed enough to have amazingly low rent but its not at all a situation where i have the ability to save large amounts of money. This is what happens when you live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of other hard working Americans. While its a noble and inspiring quality, i think its pure insanity to just say "well that just the way it is" and go on working while the factory burns down. It's like that for a reason, and that reason is to make other people rich at our expense, period. I dont think its fair i don't think its smart and i don't think it was ever meant to be sustainable. Now that the house of cards are steadily crashing down the question is what do we do now? Continue to work like dogs and just hope it goes away, or actually stand up and do something about it? I don't know about the rest of you but it was never in my DNA to quit and or accept bull:censored2: being thrown in my face. Contrary to popular belief that aint what being a real man is all about.