Safety Committee Disbanded?

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
Safety Committee members were contacted by the Union today and told they are no longer to clock in early for safety work? Told this is supposed to happen throughout New England. (i am not a committee member) Anyone else have this happen at their building?

UPSGUY72

Safety Committee members were contacted by the Union today and told they are no longer to clock in early for safety work? Told this is supposed to happen throughout New England. (i am not a committee member) Anyone else have this happen at their building?

I haven't heard anything I'll have to ask my fellow safety committee members if they heard anything when I go to work tomorrow.

cino321

Here in NYC @ Local 804, we haven't been going in months.
-http://teamsterslocal804.org/story/local-804-pulls-safety-committees

-http://teamsterslocal804.org/sites/teamsterslocal804.org/files/letter_to_safety_committees.pdf

menotyou

bella amicizia
Safety should be NUMBER ONE! That being said, the "safety committee" is a joke. Nice way to make a few extra bucks, but no real substance. Safety does not matter to a lot of management at UPS. DART matters, not safety. If safety did matter, there would not be one person on the site able to say they have seen a sup of any level pressure another employee out of an accident report or, better yet, OUTRIGHT DENY an accident report to any employee. I, for one, have witnessed such occurrences. Why there hasn't been some type of national grievance on this subject is beyond my scope of understanding.

Returntosender

What about SUPS who refuse to clean up liquid spills because their is no time to clean it up. Unloading trailers first, clean up liquid spills is second.

TheKid

To answer the original question posed, we do still have a safety committee in our building but our BA has considered disbanding it if they "misbehave".

We have a safety committee also and it is a freaking joke! Those people who promote safety and spew all that jargon are the first ones to do something against policy and procedures...but low and behold if one sees you doing something unsafe then heaven help you. :) ...I was once on the CHSP thing and I got nothing out of it...maybe a few extra minutes here and there...but never felt quite right telling someone else how they should or shouldn't do their job...and plus you get laughed at and get the one finger salute. I've seen no hard work involved in doing the safety thing...but I've seen how safety matters when someone gets hurt or when there's an audit coming our way. That's when it matters.

iowa boy

...but I've seen how safety matters when someone gets hurt or when there's an audit coming our way. That's when it matters.[/QUOTE]

This line says it all. We don't touch safety where I'm at unless the Keter rumor starts circulating, unless of course, someone gets hurt. We were told recently that knowing all the safety dribble is a "job requirement" and that we should be studying it on our own time to make sure we know it all. At the pcm some of us, including me, started laughing at this comment. When the company doesn't want to spend any "on the clock" time studying safety, why should I waste my personal time studying their crap?

Sorry, but I've got beer to drink, thank you. :beerhat:

...but I've seen how safety matters when someone gets hurt or when there's an audit coming our way. That's when it matters.

This line says it all. We don't touch safety where I'm at unless the Keter rumor starts circulating, unless of course, someone gets hurt. We were told recently that knowing all the safety dribble is a "job requirement" and that we should be studying it on our own time to make sure we know it all. At the pcm some of us, including me, started laughing at this comment. When the company doesn't want to spend any "on the clock" time studying safety, why should I waste my personal time studying their crap?

Sorry, but I've got beer to drink, thank you. :beerhat:[/QUOTE]

Me too buddy!! *cheers*