Safety committee

35years

Gravy route
By the way UPS was the single largest contributor to the PAC that killed the ergonomic standard that could have prevented thousands of workplace injuries.

By the way UPS unilaterally raised the wieght limit for packages from 50 to 70 then 70 to 150 lbs. In a delivery system designed for "small package". Who can even speculate how many debilitating injuries have resulted.

Btw UPS consistantly lobbies to gut OSHA's regulatory power in favor of "self regulation" that has secured our claim on the most injured company workforce in the USA.

UPS routinely dispatches drivers with overwhelming heavy loads by choice...cutting other drivers. One of our regional competitors prohibits their drivers from working over 10 hours because it is too dangerous to driver health and safety.

So the idea that safety is only an individual responsibility, and the corporate decision makers bare no responsibility, is ridiculous.

The job is intrinsically dangerous. Even following methods to a T can result in injuries, especially to your joints.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
By the way UPS was the single largest contributor to the PAC that killed the ergonomic standard that could have prevented thousands of workplace injuries.

By the way UPS unilaterally raised the wieght limit for packages from 50 to 70 then 70 to 150 lbs. In a delivery system designed for "small package". Who can even speculate how many debilitating injuries have resulted.

Btw UPS consistantly lobbies to gut OSHA's regulatory power in favor of "self regulation" that has secured our claim on the most injured company workforce in the USA.

UPS routinely dispatches drivers with overwhelming heavy loads by choice...cutting other drivers. One of our regional competitors prohibits their drivers from working over 10 hours because it is too dangerous to driver health and safety.

So the idea that safety is only an individual responsibility, and the corporate decision makers bare no responsibility, is ridiculous.

The job is intrinsically dangerous. Even following methods to a T can result in injuries, especially to your joints.
I agree.

What have you done to challenge UPS on these points?

Integrity

Binge Poster
So I have to infer that you believe following the contract is a bad idea.

I find it intriguing that you and a brand new member (quad decade guy) push the same agenda (the contract must be violated to make the workplace safer).

You two, of course, use two very different styles to attempt to make the same point. No one would ever expect that you two are working as say part of the same management team to promote this idea to "transform" (where have I heard that word?) the culture at UPS.

Of course there is no way this could be true...right???

Something to ponder.
Incorrect inference.

Following the CBA is always a good thing.

As for the rest, I guess anything is possible.

35years

Gravy route
I agree.

What have you done to challenge UPS on these points?

You don't get it.

You ask: What have YOU done. ..

Your response reflects exactly what is wrong with UPS's attitude towards safety....Make it all about individual responsibility to skirt any corporate responsibility...

Well I will tell you EVERY safety program at UPS will continue to fail until corporate actually shows it's commitment by example. And not just individual managers writing "commitment statements". Real changes like redesigning sort isles, lowering the weight limits, lowering the shelves in the pkg car, installing fans or a/c in the cars, hiring enough workers, not implementing the 70 hr rule, stop harrassment over production etc etc etc.

No solider follows a hypocrite into battle.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You don't get it.

Your response reflects exactly what is wrong with UPS's attitude towards safety....Make it all about individual responsibility to skirt any corporate responsibility...

Well I will tell you EVERY safety program at UPS will continue to fail until corporate actually shows it's commitment by example. And not just individual managers writing "commitment statements". Real changes like redesigning sort isles, lowering the weight limits, lowering the shelves in the pkg car, installing fans or a/c in the cars, hiring enough workers, not implementing the 70 hr rule, stop harrassment over production etc etc etc.

Far too costly and ambitious. I'll just have a coke instead.

35years

Gravy route
Imagine the change that would take place if manager's bonuses were based on...

Maintain production within 20% of last year but your stock is awarded by your safety picture. And real accountability when it comes to not hiding accidents and injuries.

If you hide any you lose your bonus....dishonesty.

It will never happen. So real safety change will never happen.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
The people who don't take safety seriously are not going to be brought into compliance by activities or videos. Unfortunately, they have to be hit where it hurts. Money. Our problem child driver was put out of service yesterday for being caught delivering without a seat belt. The seat belt was connected to avoid telematics. He just sat on top of it. We were warned about heavy on area observations weeks ago. Now UPS has his undivided attention as he goes many weeks without a paycheck. I disagree with management about a LOT of things, but put your :censored2: seatbelt on.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You don't get it.

What I mean is have you ever brought a issue up to your Safety Committee for resolution?

Filed an Article 18 Grievance?

Filed a formal complaint with OSHA?

This is the process that each employee must be willing to follow if they want get in the game of having the employer held accountable to fulfill their responsibility.

No hypocrite here. If you only knew.

FYI

I am of the opinion it is 100% the employer’s responsibility to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards and 100% the employer’s responsibility to see that all safety training is followed 100% of the time. My position is that simple.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Imagine the change that would take place if manager's bonuses were based on...

Maintain production within 20% of last year but your stock is awarded by your safety picture. And real accountability when it comes to not hiding accidents and injuries.

If you hide any you lose your bonus....dishonesty.

It will never happen. So real safety change will never happen.
It will if employees exercise their rights in concerted action to make the company safer.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The people who don't take safety seriously are not going to be brought into compliance by activities or videos. Unfortunately, they have to be hit where it hurts. Money. Our problem child driver was put out of service yesterday for being caught delivering without a seat belt. The seat belt was connected to avoid telematics. He just sat on top of it. We were warned about heavy on area observations weeks ago. Now UPS has his undivided attention as he goes many weeks without a paycheck. I disagree with management about a LOT of things, but put your :censored2: seatbelt on.
I agree with progressive discipline but discipline should be objectively carried out to correct issues not hurt people you don’t like or who don’t see things your way.

The “problem child” and the “wonder child” should be treated exactly the same for exactly the same offense.

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
I agree with progressive discipline but discipline should be objectively carried out to correct issues not hurt people you don’t like or who don’t see things your way.

The “problem child” and the “wonder child” should be treated exactly the same for exactly the same offense.
I agree. Our telematics extravaganza has actually been fair so far. Both liked and disliked drivers have been disciplined.

quad decade guy

So I have to infer that you believe following the contract is a bad idea.

I find it intriguing that you and a brand new member (quad decade guy) push the same agenda (the contract must be violated to make the workplace safer).

You two, of course, use two very different styles to attempt to make the same point. No one would ever expect that you two are working as say part of the same management team to promote this idea to "transform" (where have I heard that word?) the culture at UPS.

Of course there is no way this could be true...right???

Something to ponder.

A conspiracy! Lololol....this made me smile. How utterly stupid and ridiculous this is!

35years

Gravy route
No hypocrite here. If you only knew.

I am of the opinion it is 100% the employer’s responsibility to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards and 100% the employer’s responsibility to see that all safety training is followed 100% of the time. My position is that simple.
1...I didn't mean you are a hypocrite, but rather corporate leadership who preach safety and yet make decisions that threaten the health and safety of workers.

2. The safety concerns I mentioned created by corporate are recognized hazards already. UPS is well aware of excessive heat, excessive hours, etc. They just choose to accept the injuries as part of the cost of doing business.

The idea that it is the responsibility of individual employees to file to change these huge company wide issues is like telling someone to yell at the wind to stop blowing.

35years

Gravy route
Tell me Integrity, which is moe egregious...

A feeder driver who repeatedly speeds in the yard endangering his and several others' safety (after being warned several times).
OR
A district manager who orders his center managers to work his package car drivers 14 hours a day continually for 8 straight weeks during peak because he understaffed.

The 8 straight weeks of 14 hour days happened here a few years ago. 70 hour rule invoked...70 hours (in 5 days) for hundreds of drivers. Thousands of missed stops brought back daily. We had several drivers fall asleep at the wheel, I was one of them. The hundreds of drivers each had their safety put in danger working until 11 PM or later every day. Not to mention the thousands of other drivers and pedestrians they encountered.

Should the feeder driver be fired?
He endangers several.

Should the district manager be fired?
He endangered thousands.

I personally brought up the understaffing issue with him prior to that peak season. He chose to make more money for himself rather than hire additional workers.

This district manager preaches personal responsibility for safety and hands out warning letters. No solider follows a hypocrite into battle.

UPS pulls telematics records to see which drivers back excessively, back first etc.

Who pulls the records for district managers?

Last edited:

quad decade guy

I agree 100%. So why, knowing this, do you stay?

quad decade guy

A feeder driver who repeatedly speeds in the yard endangering his and several others' safety (after being warned several times).
OR
A district manager who orders his center managers to work his package car drivers 14 hours a day continually for 8 straight weeks during peak because he understaffed.

The 8 straight weeks of 14 hour days happened here a few years ago. 70 hour rule invoked...70 hours (in 5 days) for hundreds of drivers. Thousands of missed stops brought back daily. We had several drivers fall asleep at the wheel, I was one of them. The hundreds of drivers each had their safety put in danger working until 11 PM or later every day. Not to mention the thousands of other drivers and pedestrians they encountered.

He endangers several.

He endangered thousands.

I personally brought up the understaffing issue with him prior to that peak season. He chose to make more money for himself rather than hire additional workers.

This district manager preaches personal responsibility for safety and hands out warning letters. No solider follows a hypocrite into battle.

UPS pulls telematics records to see which drivers back excessively, back first etc.

Go into mgt. He has a boss. Become one.....if you want to run the company.
Sound familiar?

quad decade guy

OR

He endangers several.

He endangered thousands.

Why is it an "or" question? Is there a "winner"?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I agree. Our telematics extravaganza has actually been fair so far. Both liked and disliked drivers have been disciplined.
Sounds good.

Also every management observed violation to UPS Safety training (including safe lifting and lowering training) should be corrected every time for every employee, liked or disliked.