Safety for thee but not for me. Tell your tales.

Bill3508

I'm not sure how everyone else's center is but at ours safety is more a recommendation than a actually followed protocol. I'll give my example and it's a current and ongoing one. I've been with ups neary 11 years on preload, don't want to drive. Currently I'm an "acting" clerk with a preloader job title. How did this occur you might ask? Well, in an effort to help the former clerk who retired and learning the system I then found myself forced into her formerly retired spot by management.

It started off with promises of we'll find a replacement, this and that, blah ,blah blah. Come 7 months later here I am still. Best part yet is I have zero training for clerk position other than what I picked up helping the former. And included in that is zero hazmat responder certification training as it required for this position. Yet I am instructed to deal with/handle leaking packages including leaking hazmats of which we have had a few. Process damages of which many are leakers, and modify hazmat shipping papers as to allow process throgth the ups system. All this done with clear knowledge and instructions from management.

I have no protective gear, no training, and routinly have potentially hazardous substances spilled on my person as well as known hazardous materials a few times. As we know all leaking packages are to be treated as hazardous right until a certified responder determines otherwise. The basic don't touch, leave the area, notify supervisor thing as well for normal preloader classification. Well, these rules don't apply at our center, and a blind eye is turned not only by local management but also district and even ups own "safety" inspectors who advised me only a certified responder was supposed to do this job.

So there is my tale and only one of the problem at my center. Let's see what the rest of you have.

diallo185

Southern California had a employee burn their lungs cuz management made him finish the trailer he was in. Follow protocol preached otherwise don’t practice it. You get hurt your just a number and cheaper labor will come in

Days

I know over 70,s are usually tossed out and you're expected to handle them with no help. Drivers carry a lot more weight than they should be

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't recall folks getting hurt more back in the day vs today. All this so-called safety crap is to fend off potential law suit damage.

km3

I'm not sure how everyone else's center is but at ours safety is more a recommendation than a actually followed protocol. I'll give my example and it's a current and ongoing one. I've been with ups neary 11 years on preload, don't want to drive. Currently I'm an "acting" clerk with a preloader job title. How did this occur you might ask? Well, in an effort to help the former clerk who retired and learning the system I then found myself forced into her formerly retired spot by management.

It started off with promises of we'll find a replacement, this and that, blah ,blah blah. Come 7 months later here I am still. Best part yet is I have zero training for clerk position other than what I picked up helping the former. And included in that is zero hazmat responder certification training as it required for this position. Yet I am instructed to deal with/handle leaking packages including leaking hazmats of which we have had a few. Process damages of which many are leakers, and modify hazmat shipping papers as to allow process throgth the ups system. All this done with clear knowledge and instructions from management.

I have no protective gear, no training, and routinly have potentially hazardous substances spilled on my person as well as known hazardous materials a few times. As we know all leaking packages are to be treated as hazardous right until a certified responder determines otherwise. The basic don't touch, leave the area, notify supervisor thing as well for normal preloader classification. Well, these rules don't apply at our center, and a blind eye is turned not only by local management but also district and even ups own "safety" inspectors who advised me only a certified responder was supposed to do this job.

So there is my tale and only one of the problem at my center. Let's see what the rest of you have.

Whether things continue on this way is entirely up to you. You have the right to refuse to work in unsafe conditions, per the contract. After 11 years you should know this.

Box Ox

Whether things continue on this way is entirely up to you. You have the right to refuse to work in unsafe conditions, per the contract. After 11 years you should know this.

Yep. I was never challenged when invoking my rights to a safe work environment as a preloader. That’s super dangerous territory for a supervisor once a part timer has said a particular situation is unsafe as the sup’s ass is grass if anything does happen after somebody said something.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive

You been here 11 years and have finally started to realize Sups don't give a damn about your safety, only your productivity so they can get a bigger bonus. Our "Safety" supervisor is such a joke that he comes up and quizzes you periodically, creating an egress issue with his body and impeding your work progress. I got a new phone a while back and didn't program the hubs number into it, and woke up with food poisoning. I texted one supervisor saying I couldn't come in. Next day at work, another sup, the true "dickwad" of the bunch starts asking me what the method is for calling in. I asked, "what's the method for loading, one at a time? Let me try that and tell the other preloaders the same thing and you can watch this place fall to :censored2:."

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Back when men were men and knew how to force a decent contract.
On the other hand, If you don't really have any aspirations with your life and can't/aren't looking/won't work another job, preoload nowadays is effing exhausting and they'll vote yes for more work, equal work, and less pay. It's disgusting.