Safety - Mirrors

AlwaysChafed

My biggest complaint, and I've talked to everyone, is having to pull your mirror in at stops and even more so in the city.

If I have 200 stops, I risk my hand/arm being severed 400 times a day. That rule makes zero sense to me if we are the number one package.

browniehound

My biggest complaint, and I've talked to everyone, is having to pull your mirror in at stops and even more so in the city.

If I have 200 stops, I risk my hand/arm being severed 400 times a day. That rule makes zero sense to me if we are the number one package.

I thought I was the only one who worried about a severed arm from pulling my mirror in. I don't do it. If the street is so narrow that there is a good chance another truck can take your mirror out then the odds are equal that a truck could rip your arm off when you go to push it back out. After all, you can't see anything coming because you stupidly pulled your mirror in when you parked. I refuse to do it.

browniehound

Also, I have a severe chaffing issue. I have permanent red marks on my ass. Do you think using Gold-Bond for a couple of weeks straight will get rid of it? Some days i'm almost crying in pain by the end of the day from the constant burning every time I get in or out of the seat. Any suggestions for a remedy would be greatly appreciated...

Also, I have a severe chaffing issue. I have permanent red marks on my ass. Do you think using Gold-Bond for a couple of weeks straight will get rid of it? Some days i'm almost crying in pain by the end of the day from the constant burning every time I get in or out of the seat. Any suggestions for a remedy would be greatly appreciated...
Don't let your Sup stand behind you. The will keep your butt from chaffing!!!

stink219

You don't have to if you feel you being put in danger. There is OSHA protections on these types of rules. I 100% agree with you. I never pull my mirror in anymore. I almost lost my arm twice. The problem I find is not the pulling in the mirror, it's the pushing it back out that is the blind movement. You can replace a metal bracket but you can never replace an arm.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Its the same issue with feeders. At one point they lost a lot mirrors within a year. They started going on that you should stick your head out in tight close spots and pull those mirrors in each time. Sure, lets save a few mirrors with the death of a few people in return. Makes sense since UPS will bonus if you die as to loss of money on a replacement of property.

AlwaysChafed

That is great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. This is one of those redundant rules that need to go away.

Does anyone know if anyone has been injured from pulling/pushing the mirror?

didyousheetit

use the green bottle medicated gold bond works much better than the regular gold bond.

I thought I was the only one who worried about a severed arm from pulling my mirror in. I don't do it. If the street is so narrow that there is a good chance another truck can take your mirror out then the odds are equal that a truck could rip your arm off when you go to push it back out. After all, you can't see anything coming because you stupidly pulled your mirror in when you parked. I refuse to do it.

No joke,when I explained I refuse to do it because I could lose a few fingers or a hand in doing so because I can't see what's coming I was told to peek out the window first.....

The company is just covering itself and giving us a way to prevent an avoidable accident. I have had a couple close shaves. I was also told to peek over my left shoulder before pushing the mirror out

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The other issue with continuously folding the mirrors in and out is that over time it will cause the detent bolt on the spring to loosen, which will eventually cause the entire mirror arm to fold inward at highway speed from its own wind resistance. Ever had your passenger-side mirror fold in at 55MPH on the highway while towing a trailer? Not cool. The only time I ever fold my mirrors in is to keep them from being broken off by tree branches in narrow driveways.

S

serenity now

The other issue with continuously folding the mirrors in and out is that over time it will cause the detent bolt on the spring to loosen, which will eventually cause the entire mirror arm to fold inward at highway speed from its own wind resistance. Ever had your passenger-side mirror fold in at 55MPH on the highway while towing a trailer? Not cool. The only time I ever fold my mirrors in is to keep them from being broken off by tree branches in narrow driveways.

i just go slowly and let the branch fold 'em in for me :wink2: