Safety Reps...

Walk the line

Walk the line,

Please give some examples why you think hourly Employee Health and Safety Committee members think they are above other union members?

Sincerely,
I

I have personnaly noticed preferential treatment to safety reps. I.E. A cover driver was charged for an avoidable accident one particular stop, ( broke mirror bracket on tree branch.) A few days ago...safety rep did the same thing at same stop, in same pkg car as previous cover driver. Safety rep wasn't charged and the INCIDENT was charged as UNAVOIDABLE! No Charge! It was the exact same explanation from both drivers? FYI both were cover drivers for this route!

Returntosender

The safety rep/chair is treated differently cause the do 70% of managements job in regards to safety for them. From the observations, to PCMs to recording of minutes/days issues brought up/resolved. The more safety paperwork you do for management the better you will treated.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have personnaly noticed preferential treatment to safety reps. I.E. A cover driver was charged for an avoidable accident one particular stop, ( broke mirror bracket on tree branch.) A few days ago...safety rep did the same thing at same stop, in same pkg car as previous cover driver. Safety rep wasn't charged and the INCIDENT was charged as UNAVOIDABLE! No Charge! It was the exact same explanation from both drivers? FYI both were cover drivers for this route!
Walk the line,

If in fact these situations are identical then I agree with you that they should both have identical outcomes.

Your original postion may be flawed a bit.

The problem may be not so much that the safety reps think they are above other union workers.

It may be that the local management give the safety reps preferential treatment in order to perpetuate the flawed saftey processes they put upon the safety reps.

The safety reps may not feel that they are above other union workers.

They may just feel that since they do the safety committee work they might as well not look a gift horse in the mouth when receiving management supplied preferential treatment.

This is just speculation on my part. I am not saying this is right.

The fact that the CHSP is severely flawed and lacks integrity is not speculation on my part. It is my opinion based upon my experience.

Sincerely,
I

S

speeddemon

I am our Wellness guy. I don't do it because of special treatment. I do it because I was able to beat cancer and changed my diet to try and keep it away. I share what I do with my co workers in hope that it might keep someones mommy or daddy here with them a little bit longer. Please don't generalize people into one category. Your just showing your total ignorance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The safety rep/chair is treated differently cause the do 70% of managements job in regards to safety for them. From the observations, to PCMs to recording of minutes/days issues brought up/resolved. The more safety paperwork you do for management the better you will treated.
Returntosender,

The sad reality is that the Safety Committees are not operating according to the company supplied training for hourly Co-Chairs or Committee members.

In my opinion, this is poor management,

The sad reality is that the Safety Committees are not operating according to the Master Collective Bargaining Agreement.

In my opinion, this is poor unionism and poor Local Union leadership.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. It is just the truth as my experience has revealed.

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

I am sure all centers are different but our safety members are treated just like every other employee. If anything safety members are held at a higher standard and expect them to be safer than everyone else.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am sure all centers are different but our safety members are treated just like every other employee. If anything safety members are held at a higher standard and expect them to be safer than everyone else.

Sincerely,
I
Indecision,

Are you a safety committee member?

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n,

Are you a member at large or do you have a defined job such as Co-chair, Wellness champion, scribe, gatekeeper?

Do you have the Committee Member Handbook?

Sincerely,
I

I do not have a title so by your terms i would be a "member at large." We don't have member handbooks. We use all the company books/tapes to teach, train and reiterate the methods.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I do not have a title so by your terms i would be a "member at large." We don't have member handbooks. We use all the company books/tapes to teach, train and reiterate the methods.
Indecisi0n,

Do you know why you don't have the Committee Member Handbook?

This is the document that details the purported functioning of the Safety Committees and the purported responsibilities of the Committee members?

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n,

Do you know why you don't have the Committee Member Handbook?

This is the document that details the purported functioning of the Safety Committees and the purported responsibilities of the Committee members?

Sincerely,
I

We are a big center and I think things like this get lost in the hustle of the business. To tell you the truth i am more worried about them ordering my damn uniforms. It's only been 6 months. I don't need a book to tell me what a member should/shouldn't be doing. I stick to the methods as close as i can and i teach it to others. If i see something unsafe i try to fix it or tell someone who can fix it. The one thing i don't do and i will NEVER do it rat out another member. If i see someone doing something unsafe i will tell them face to face. There is no need to get management involved. If they ever specifically tell me that they require that of me then i will leave the committee.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We are a big center and I think things like this get lost in the hustle of the business. To tell you the truth i am more worried about them ordering my damn uniforms. It's only been 6 months. I don't need a book to tell me what a member should/shouldn't be doing. I stick to the methods as close as i can and i teach it to others. If i see something unsafe i try to fix it or tell someone who can fix it. The one thing i don't do and i will NEVER do it rat out another member. If i see someone doing something unsafe i will tell them face to face. There is no need to get management involved. If they ever specifically tell me that they require that of me then i will leave the committee.
Indecisi0n,

I uderstand your logic about a big center but I think that is a common excuse used in larger corporations that is faulty.

In my opinion, it is like saying we are so big and successful that we can't possibly do things the way we claim to do, because of the bigness, success and hustle bustle of running such a giant corporation that makes millions and millions. If we did everything we claim to do we would surely go out of business.

I find this to be a faulty excuse.

If you haven't read the handbook how do you know that you know what a member should or shouldn't be doing?

Are you aware that Safety Committees and how they are to function is fairly spelled out in the Master Collective Bargaining Agreement?

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n,

I uderstand your logic about a big center but I think that is a common excuse used in larger corporations that is faulty.

In my opinion, it is like saying we are so big and successful that we can't possibly do things the way we claim to do, because of the bigness, success and hustle bustle of running such a giant corporation that makes millions and millions. If we did everything we claim to do we would surely go out of business.

I find this to be a faulty excuse.

If you haven't read the handbook how do you know that you know what a member should or shouldn't be doing?

Are you aware that Safety Committees and how they are to function is fairly spelled out in the Master Collective Bargaining Agreement?

Sincerely,
I

It's not an excuse on my part but its the reason the company doesn't focus on us. You think UPS really gives a **** about the safety committee? It's a PR move and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
98% of my job is common sense. It amazes me the **** drivers do. When you asked them after a accident "what were you thinking?" they always give you the same stupid stare and shrug their shoulders. I have noticed that most of our problems are with older drivers thinking this is the same UPS from 1980. WAKE UP GUYS. Still driving with the bulkhead door open, still not using handrail, driving headfirst into driveways. The problem is they can't comprehend telematics and its bites them in the ass everytime. We had a driver that had 30 driving without seatbelt violations. When we said something to him his response was "Are you kidding me? This is what UPS is worrying about!" I was dumbfounded. You are driving a company vehicle without your seatbelt you dumb @#%$@#$% !!

over9five

Staff member
........ It amazes me the **** drivers do. When you asked them after a accident "what were you thinking?" they always give you the same stupid stare and shrug their shoulders. I have noticed that most of our problems are with older drivers thinking this is the same UPS from 1980. WAKE UP GUYS. Still driving with the bulkhead door open, still not using handrail, driving headfirst into driveways. The problem is they can't comprehend telematics and its bites them in the ass everytime. We had a driver that had 30 driving without seatbelt violations. When we said something to him his response was "Are you kidding me? This is what UPS is worrying about!" I was dumbfounded. You are driving a company vehicle without your seatbelt you dumb @#%$@#$% !!

Wow, spoken just like the center manager. What the hell business is it of yours? This is between that driver and management, not you.