Safety Reps...

W

want to retire

In writing? No.
I never asked why, why should I care? I will say it was much easier to just have your 4-ways on all the time.

Because it's a major change. It's contrary to previous training. I've learned to ask twice and end with "you sure about this?" Because, if something happens and they ask"were your 4 ways on.....?"

In writing? No.
I never asked why, why should I care? I will say it was much easier to just have your 4-ways on all the time.

The drivers beat it into mgmts heads to NOT use 4-ways unless backing or stopped because it's awfully hard to communicate ones intentions using turn signals if they're all going at once. Also if they're used all the time then nothing stands out when a situation changes.

That being said our yard is still a wild west show with accidents waiting to happen.

Indecisi0n

Our yard is good except for the feeders. They don't abide by speed limits, stop signs, or even parking. They park in the oddest and most outrageous spots.

W

want to retire

The drivers beat it into mgmts heads to NOT use 4-ways unless backing or stopped because it's awfully hard to communicate ones intentions using turn signals if they're all going at once. Also if they're used all the time then nothing stands out when a situation changes.

That being said our yard is still a wild west show with accidents waiting to happen.

Well said. When I went to feeders(out of pkg car), I mentioned that fact also(about using direction signals for direction changes)! All to no avail. I thought maybe a flashing beacon like the shifters....but they have their flashers and beacon on!...............On a side note some of the rail yards require all flashers on and the shifters there don't follow ANY kind of road rules at all! Most dangerous and a tragedy waiting. About the wild west show......it is flat out amazing to me that mgt. is so willing to look the other way in the name of production. Although you see the same willingness throughout the hub.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Employees authorized to drive vehicles in the yard must ensure the vehicle is equipped with operable head lights, hazard lights or reflective material that provides 360 degree visibility. I guess it doesn't specifically say they have to be on.

Yeah, I just got my card out of my lunch bag to check that. It probably should say to actually use them. Something else for some safety wonk to address.