Salary Compare Contrast

Serf

10 year Courier here. Base salary is 24.xx. With overtime (now especially due to labor shortage) I gross 59,000.
With Medical, Dental, 401k, & living in the Tri- State Area my take home pay is 800$ a week.
My mortgage and taxes are 1500, car and insurance 420, utilities 200, grocery bill for the month average 500 including beer/wine. Gas about 130. Misc spending about 200. So all in all about 36,000 of the 40,000 gets allocated for give or take.
As long as I’m at fedex from before sunrise to sundown. Side note; I have. Wife and kids. Wife has a job, these are just my numbers.
Compare & Contrast.

btrlov

ur being ripped off. idk if you are hudson or tristate/big apple district but i was making that with only 5 years.

To put things into prosective:

I would go to the MTA, Amtrak or NJT or Path-65-80k base . Hell Conrail or NS is hiring as well. PSEG, Local 1, LIPA are hiring too.

iF staying at fedex dispatch or LTD is the place to go, I dont think swing is worth it. U might as well go express management.

UPS drivers are at 39 going to 40/hr after 4yrs. Feeders(psedo LTD equivalent) is already at 40. UPS Part time Supervisors(psedu fedex Lead equivalent w/o the driving) are at 21-22/hr starting in the tristate REGION.

Post Office is harsh but have a better retirement vs the fedex portable plan. A 204b(temp supervisor) at a usps station makes 59k which is easy to get because regulars dont want the stress

At least with a Amazon DSP u can complete a run and still get paid for an entire days work. Direct(non contract) amazon employees are issued stock the higher they are in the company.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
I won’t add all the details that Serf did, but here’s a quick run down for my area:

B1 pay scale here that starts at $18.01
Nearest stations are all on the same pay scale.
Median home price for the towns that have those stations are $595k, $400k, and $495k.

I’m in a different situation than many in my station as I’m older and was able to buy my house before the housing market went crazy. Bought my house for $250k and now it’s worth $550k.
With that being said, I worked a ton of OT due to staffing issues and grossed $63k last year. If I had no OT at all it would have been roughly $43k. My net checks are tiny since I’m investing as much as possible in retirement and staying CC debt free.

DriverNerd

I'm UPS so my income will vary just a little bit....
Hourly rate $39.xx
Yearly $130k
Take home $1500 per week (union dues once a month/18% 401k)
Mortgage $1700 (pay more than I have to)
Car Payment $1000 (pay way more than I have to)
Utilities/Misc $1000-1400
Food $1000 (including everything else you buy at grocery stores/Target/Walmart etc)

My wife works. I have two kids. I didn't do any math for my bills or food so it's just a very rough estimate.

zeev

10 year Courier here. Base salary is 24.xx. With overtime (now especially due to labor shortage) I gross 59,000.
With Medical, Dental, 401k, & living in the Tri- State Area my take home pay is 800$ a week.
My mortgage and taxes are 1500, car and insuranceR 420, utilities 200, grocery bill for the month average 500 including beer/wine. Gas about 130. Misc spending about 200. So all in all about 36,000 of the 40,000 gets allocated for give or take.
As long as I’m at fedex from before sunrise to sundown. Side note; I have. Wife and kids. Wife has a job, these are just my numbers.
Compare & Contrast.
You need to get RTD training and get to UPS immediately UPS loves FedEx drivers. The training is good and the big trucks are not as hard as they look, you have a better view of the road from up there,24.0 hr.is awful for your area.

You need to get RTD training and get to UPS immediately UPS loves FedEx drivers. The training is good and the big trucks are not as hard as they look, you have a better view of the road from up there,24.0 hr.is awful for your area.
You're wrong about that UPS does not love FedEx drivers.
Most of them crash and burn right off the bat because they are trained differently than what UPS wants

Serf

At least with a Amazon DSP u can complete a run and still get paid for an entire days work. Direct(non contract) amazon employees are issued stock the higher they are in the company.
Tell me more about this please? And yes I agree with your entire post.

Serf

Yea, so also morale of the story is; if my spouse didn’t work we’d be working poor. Express doesn’t just pay peanuts in metro Nashville, but Tri State Area also.

Serf

B1 pay scale here that starts at $18.01
Nearest stations are all on the same pay scale.
Median home price for the towns that have those stations are $595k, $400k, and $495k.
Same here. Kinda crazy really.
I feel like being a decade in it I don’t go now I never will and I’ll be stuck here.

zeev

RTD you drive a truck at UPS just like FedEx one is white one s brown I know 3 personally and still in touch, if it doesn’t work out lots of crappy delivery jobs out there.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I made 102k last year at ups. Average 9hr paid days.
I have no mortgage
No car payments
Wife stays home with kids.
I put the max into 401k

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I made 102k last year at ups. Average 9hr paid days.
I have no mortgage
No car payments
Wife stays home with kids.
I put the max into 401k

I was given $73,404.00 last year at home. Average day was when I got up and when I went to bed.
I have no mortgage.
No car payments.
My wife and I stay wherever we want whenever we want and leave when we want.
I never had a 401K.
I have to try, but I am very successful at spending every nickel they give me.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
My mortgage and taxes are 1500, car and insurance 420, utilities 200, grocery bill for the month average 500 including beer/wine. Gas about 130. Misc spending about 200. So all in all about 36,000 of the 40,000 gets allocated for give or take.
Compare & Contrast.
Sad, the last time I grossed less than $59k at UPS was 17 yrs ago when I was pt on the twilight shift. It blows my mind how you guys afford house, wife, kids on a FedEx salary. Bravo to those who can do it.

Serf

That's funny, I started at UPS in the 2010's at $8.50 an hour.
Think about that, back then it was legit. I did see not that long ago handlers at UPS were offered 9-9.50.
Keep in mind also, living reasonably and simply. I would argue ( especially now with inflation) minimum wage at 40 hrs is somewhere between 23-25$ an hr. So if you have a job that pays 30-45$ you’re very well off.