Sales lead for Enstrom's in Co

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
One of my customers gave me a box of Enstrom's almond toffee for Christmas.
I must say, it was the best tasting toffee I have ever had. I logged on their site to order some more for myself and as gifts for friends and family. When given the shipping option for my order, I canceled my order. They offered the whole gambit of shipping options but only with Fedex. If they offered at least USPS for the ground option, I probably would have placed my order. No matter how good a product is I refuse to order from them if they do not offer other shipping options other than FedEx.

If anyone services the Grand Junction Co. area, Please work on getting Enstrom's to switch shipping companies so I can place an order with them:happy-very:---unless of course Enstrom's is one of those "unprofitable" shippers that the new UPS is not interested in having as an account:biting:

hudson

:happy-very:---unless of course Enstrom's is one of those "unprofitable" shippers that the new UPS is not interested in having as an account:biting:

The "new UPS" has a minimum revenue per piece. If a sales person has to go below this minimum to win the business we are instructed to walk...We all remember what happened to DHL...Maybe it will happen to FedEx

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
does it not make sense to walk away from unprofitable business? while this is scary strategy, in a recession, you dont want to add packages to a network that cost UPS money.

we like making a profit!

say a customer has an o/r (operating revenue) of .95. that means we make $.05 per dollar they spend with UPS.

if a customer has an o/r of 1.25, we LOSE $.25 for every package we pick up.

UPS overall O/R is something like .92. we need volume that makes us money, or else we will start losing money.

rwsmith67

i just cancelled a brooks brothers order because they wouldnt ship it UPS.

Salesguy, I also cancelled a Brooks Brothers order because they only use FEDEX, they used to use us before the strike, I ordered from Jos. A Bank, they use UPS, I guess Brooks Bros. doesn't realize how many mgmt. people we have that need suits, ties, dress shirts and shoes!!:wink2:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Salesguy, I also cancelled a Brooks Brothers order because they only use FEDEX, they used to use us before the strike, I ordered from Jos. A Bank, they use UPS, I guess Brooks Bros. doesn't realize how many mgmt. people we have that need suits, ties, dress shirts and shoes!!:wink2:

this was actually just the last straw with those jerks. i ordered on the 26th and i sent them 5 emails because it hadn't even shipped it yet, and I kept telling them dont bother if it is fedex. I told them UPS or the USPS.

so they finally get back to me on the 8th, saying it just left the warehouse fedex. I called back and gave them major crap. the girl on the phone eventually admitted that people request UPS "all the time" but they have been shipping fedex for years. she agreed to refund 100% of my money and pay for the return shipping (of course via fedex).

so in my gusto for UPS, fedex actually gets two packages out of it. I can only hope they are unprofitable for them!

brooks brothers is crap anyway. the only reason I used them was because someone gave me a gift card. there was nothing on the site for under $70. shipping was something like $13.95 too. rediculous.

bumped

this was actually just the last straw with those jerks. i ordered on the 26th and i sent them 5 emails because it hadn't even shipped it yet, and I kept telling them dont bother if it is fedex. I told them UPS or the USPS.

so they finally get back to me on the 8th, saying it just left the warehouse fedex. I called back and gave them major crap. the girl on the phone eventually admitted that people request UPS "all the time" but they have been shipping fedex for years. she agreed to refund 100% of my money and pay for the return shipping (of course via fedex).

so in my gusto for UPS, fedex actually gets two packages out of it. I can only hope they are unprofitable for them!

brooks brothers is crap anyway. the only reason I used them was because someone gave me a gift card. there was nothing on the site for under $70. shipping was something like $13.95 too. rediculous.

How much does UPS make when we get a call tag for a package that was shipped via Fed Ex or DHL.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

A few less shortly.:dissapointed:

Maybe they were getting more orders from FEDEX mgmt.

bbsam

Staff member
does it not make sense to walk away from unprofitable business? while this is scary strategy, in a recession, you dont want to add packages to a network that cost UPS money.

we like making a profit!

say a customer has an o/r (operating revenue) of .95. that means we make $.05 per dollar they spend with UPS.

if a customer has an o/r of 1.25, we LOSE $.25 for every package we pick up.

UPS overall O/R is something like .92. we need volume that makes us money, or else we will start losing money.
This of course makes perfect sense, but there are exceptions aren't there? L.L. Bean account at Fedex was not a big money maker and popular belief was that UPS "bought" the account.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Some strategic accounts are priced unprofitably because they fill our trucks/network, making other packages more profitable. Yeah, it's complicated.

LL Bean is the perfect example- but wedid much more than offer rates to win that business, I'm sure.

hudson

Some strategic accounts are priced unprofitably because they fill our trucks/network, making other packages more profitable. Yeah, it's complicated.

LL Bean is the perfect example- but wedid much more than offer rates to win that business, I'm sure.

We let LL Bean add all their suppliers on their contract. We won a lot of business but not sure how profitable this decision was...

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
We let LL Bean add all their suppliers on their contract. We won a lot of business but not sure how profitable this decision was...

i did not know that. I don't think profit was the goal, as much as winning that account from FedEx.

How often do we do press releases when we win business from a company? I know we did it for LL Bean, but not sure I have ever seen it before/since.

we like making a profit!

And that is precisely the mentality and attitude that is putting goods in flat rate boxes and Fedex Ground trucks! I remember the brilliant idea about how we want the more profitable packages (1da) instead of residential deliveries. Now a driver goes down a street to deliver 1 stop when in the past he used to have 3-5 stops making the trip down the street profitable!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
And that is precisely the mentality and attitude that is putting goods in flat rate boxes and Fedex Ground trucks! I remember the brilliant idea about how we want the more profitable packages (1da) instead of residential deliveries. Now a driver goes down a street to deliver 1 stop when in the past he used to have 3-5 stops making the trip down the street profitable!

just go away. I mentioned we need unprofitable accounts to fill the truck, re-read my post and see if you can comprehend what I said about winning that account from fedex.....LL bean suppliers shipping to them is all ground commercial. you really have no idea how our business works.

it's really ashame that there is competition out there trying to take all of our packages.

and, no profit, no pay, *******.

Last edited by a moderator:
just go away. I mentioned we need unprofitable accounts to fill the truck, re-read my post and see if you can comprehend what I said about winning that account from fedex.....LL bean suppliers shipping to them is all ground commercial. you really have no idea how our business works.

it's really ashame that there is competition out there trying to take all of our packages.

and, no profit, no pay, *******.

I spent 33 yrs of my life working at UPS. I would say I know very well how the system works. Of course I want UPS to make a profit so some ********,who still has to go to work everyday, can provide a pension check me.:happy2:

Last edited by a moderator: