Sales leads

UPSmeoff

I turned in a sales lead today only because the customer asked what she had to do to activate a UPS account.
I do not normally do this even though there are incentives to do so.
I have a amex card that acrue's (sp) money every month from past positive sales leads.
Why dont i try to gain more business?
Because it's all i can do to deliver the 150 stops a day to barely make 8 effing hours.
You would think i would be motivated to do this.

U

ups ups ups

Because the Fedex Ground driver will take away your job if you don't!

Fedx Ground drivers have an incentive, profit.

UPS drivers have an incentive, continued paycheck.

I hate to admit it, but UPS is boomed. Many of our people want to do as liitle as possible and expect the most compensation.

Fedex, DHL, or some other carrier will be glad to accept the business UPS' employees don't want.

They do it everyday!

over9five

Staff member
You have stated the exact reason most drivers do not participate in the sales lead program. You would have to have mental problems to intentionally add to your over-dispatch.

Why can't they understand this???? It's not rocket science, Bob!!!

(Mike, are you listening?)

helenofcalifornia

Exactly!!!!! Why submit a sales lead when you KNOW you will get no additional help. Sad that we think this way with the way the business is. But most of us know what will happen with that extra business on our route. We will end up doing it and get no help. I know it's not right, but this is what the vast majority of drivers think.

UPSmeoff

Because the Fedex Ground driver will take away your job if you don't!

Fedx Ground drivers have an incentive, profit.

UPS drivers have an incentive, continued paycheck.

I hate to admit it, but UPS is boomed. Many of our people want to do as liitle as possible and expect the most compensation.

Fedex, DHL, or some other carrier will be glad to accept the business UPS' employees don't want.

They do it everyday!
Spoken like true management.

Boost my morale and i will boost your business.

stealth8

I turn in sales leads all the time . Last year I recieved $768.00 on my AMEX card! I used it as my gas card for a few months!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I made over 1500.00 last yr on my sales lead card. Now if I submit a lead I cant even get the status of it online anymore.

We also lost one of the feeder pick ups I gained to fed ex, and no one has followed up on it to my knowledge, for the phone calls I made to the center the day of, saying "hey FEDEX ground is taking my stuff"

Reactive, not pro active, I guess I will put in another lead and take the 500$ when we get it back. They assured me it was not me it was my upper management, surely they jest.

UPSmeoff

Said customer still has not recieved a call as of yet.
Why does it take so long to contact someone.
I shouldnt have to do someone elses work.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When the Sales Lead Program first started, I turned in three leads. It took Customer Service over six weeks to contact the potential customer. They all use FEDEX after that, they like me personally, they just felt UPS didn't care for their money.

Brownnblue

I knew a Railway Express driver who had the same attitude!

Yes, I'm sure management issues had nothing to with the decline and fall of the Railway Express Agency.

Perhaps I should get a sales lead for the shipment of radioactive waste, or circus animals?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I made over 1500.00 last yr on my sales lead card. Now if I submit a lead I cant even get the status of it online anymore.

We also lost one of the feeder pick ups I gained to fed ex, and no one has followed up on it to my knowledge, for the phone calls I made to the center the day of, saying "hey FEDEX ground is taking my stuff"

Reactive, not pro active, I guess I will put in another lead and take the 500$ when we get it back. They assured me it was not me it was my upper management, surely they jest.

Update, the company owes us 60 grand, guess it is upper mgmt fault, NOT. Two sides to everything

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
I turned in a sales lead today only because the customer asked what she had to do to activate a UPS account.
I do not normally do this even though there are incentives to do so.
I have a amex card that acrue's (sp) money every month from past positive sales leads.
Why dont i try to gain more business?
Because it's all i can do to deliver the 150 stops a day to barely make 8 effing hours.
You would think i would be motivated to do this.
Here Here !!

DS

Fenderbender
Sales leads lead to more volume than my center has the personel to pick up.When you call in that you are full,they tell you to go to so and so and pick up the 3 skids that the other driver couldn`t fit in.When you explain that you couldn`t squeeze a fart in back there,they hang up on you and scramble to find a half full car.Let fedex ground have some,I dont care.If ups goes under I`ll work there.I`ve lost respect
for upper management.I get paid no matter how ****ty my day is,and
its only due to the presence of my immediate sup,that things have been livable lately.He has done my area.I dont know why anyone would want to be mngmt at ups right now.They get hassled because the numbers are down,because of things they have no control over.Ugh
sales leads...no thanks

disneyworld

You have stated the exact reason most drivers do not participate in the sales lead program. You would have to have mental problems to intentionally add to your over-dispatch.

Why can't they understand this???? It's not rocket science, Bob!!!

(Mike, are you listening?)
Not only that but I've had a couple of sales leads closed stating not interested then have an account show up a short time later. friend* them

Braveheart

I turned in leads thet either took too long to have any follow up on and lost to DHL or FEDEX or they just never follow up at all. Then when they do follow up they do a shiity job. I was told that even though I recruited the customer I was not getting any rewards because they did not want to pay for a daily pick up even though they ship every day and do it over the internet prepaying with a credit card to get a good discount. HEY UPS HERE IS AN IDEA, FIRE ALL THE WORTHLESS SALES REPS AND GIVE ME A BIGGER PIECE ON MY REWARDS CARD SINCE I AM THE ONE DOING THE WORK AND KEEPING THE CUSTOMER HAPPY. HELL YOU COULD TRIPLE MY REWARDS AND TRIPLE THE LENGTH OF TIME YOU REWARD ME AND STILL SAVE MONEY AND ER IMPROVE PROFIT MARGINS DESPITE ADDITIONAL TIME SPENT WITH NEW CUSTOMERS DUE TO ELIMINATING SALARY, BENEFITS, AND OTHER EXPENSES OF WORTHLESS ACCOUNT REPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I turned in leads thet either took too long to have any follow up on and lost to DHL or FEDEX or they just never follow up at all. Then when they do follow up they do a shiity job. I was told that even though I recruited the customer I was not getting any rewards because they did not want to pay for a daily pick up even though they ship every day and do it over the internet prepaying with a credit card to get a good discount. HEY UPS HERE IS AN IDEA, FIRE ALL THE WORTHLESS SALES REPS AND GIVE ME A BIGGER PIECE ON MY REWARDS CARD SINCE I AM THE ONE DOING THE WORK AND KEEPING THE CUSTOMER HAPPY. HELL YOU COULD TRIPLE MY REWARDS AND TRIPLE THE LENGTH OF TIME YOU REWARD ME AND STILL SAVE MONEY AND ER IMPROVE PROFIT MARGINS DESPITE ADDITIONAL TIME SPENT WITH NEW CUSTOMERS DUE TO ELIMINATING SALARY, BENEFITS, AND OTHER EXPENSES OF WORTHLESS ACCOUNT REPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do get reward from internet,but unless you haul in a big fish its minimal. the two I have submitted in the last 2 weeks will be feeder pickups, so more work for us, but not for me! Yeah.
I agree, they turn us into sales reps, the reps come, maybe and set it up, it requires our pc know how to keep it going, and we only get a reward for 3 months, and THEY DO IT COZ THEY LIKE US!!!!!!!!! NOT THE REP. SO I AGREE, PUT DR MARKETING BACK IN THE BOARD, GIVE US THE TIME TO DO IT, AND THE TRAINING TO SET THEM UP AND THE DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE AND LET US GO.
my sup who recently went on road told me how much each group sup gets when WE get the accounts, doesnt even come close to what we get, and all they do is say "get a lead or no donut"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its pretty sad but if EVERYONE put in sales leads we would shut fedex down. But hell, we cant even handle all of the volume we have now and where I am at they have hired over 100 drivers in 2 bldgs. I think the main job of acct reps are to listen to customers complaints. If management really made an effort to listen to drivers opinions on volume growth, and then add appropriate help to handle extra volume we would be unstopable and would shut dhl down.