Same Day Amazon Prime starts in Atlanta

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
https://www.facebook.com/wsbtv/posts/10152761931475695

Same day delivery service has started in certain parts of Atlanta when you order early enough in the day. $5.99 charge for Prime members, $8.99 for non-members. Maybe Peak Season won't be so bad this year.....
One can only hope. We are getting slammed in the nutz this week in volume for Labor Day weekend..summer peak coming to an end...finally!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Paying a premium of services hasn't gone to well, look at My Choice if you want examples. 50% of my shopping is done via amazon, I have yet to pay for shipping besides prime (which includes music stream/DLing, videos,2day shipping). Even now they are offering me 1.00 digital video credits to choose non 2 day shipping. I don't see same day shipping being very cost effective if they don't have the volume to support it.

I've been with Amazon Prime for 5+ years.

upschuck

Straight up question: how long does UPS let this go before the deep discounts Amazon enjoys disappear?
A long time. UPS is not going to jeopardize their largest account because they divert a little volume away. They may never admit it, but they are probably glad they are starting this so UPS can't be blamed for the peak season debacle as much as last year. They will also see that it is not s easy, come peak, as it looks, Just wait til Christmas Eve, when they offer that you can still get your stuff, then fall flat on their faces. No one to blame but themselves.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Did anyone see the Myron Gray interview on CNBC a few weeks ago? The moderator asked him a direct question about same day shipping and he totally ducked it and started talking about My Choice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
https://www.facebook.com/wsbtv/posts/10152761931475695

Same day delivery service has started in certain parts of Atlanta when you order early enough in the day. $5.99 charge for Prime members, $8.99 for non-members. Maybe Peak Season won't be so bad this year.....
I think I must have been in the beta testing.
I have got several packages ordered late at night or early morning within 18 hours or less.
I was not charged extra for these and they were all delivered by the Post Office.

upschuck

The deep discounts are volume based.
If Amazon does not give UPS the volume, the discounts are reduced.
They are soooo far from a change in discount limit, it is not funny. In addition to all the shipping volume, they also get the vast majority of the return volume, plus we get the marketplace sellers shipments that Amazon fills. That is a lot of ancillary volume.