San Antonio Hub

antho1

Just applied for PT package handler. Just wanting to get my foot in the door. I was a former handler and courier with fedex in 2007. Does anyone know how long the wait is for a package car driver? Any info or help would be great. Just wanting to get an idea. I see in other cities they are hiring off the street for them.

Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

Ask around and see if the hub is in a hiring frenzy for feeders like many others are. If they are then it won't take long. If not try and get into an extended center. They NORMALLY have much shorter wait times. There is at least one extended center in the San Antonio area off of I-410. I can't remember the name though.

Sent using BrownCafe App

antho1

I will do that. How do I know if it's extended or not? I know there is a hub off foster rd on the east side between 410 and 1604. Do you think the drivers would know the wait times?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I will do that. How do I know if it's extended or not? I know there is a hub off foster rd on the east side between 410 and 1604. Do you think the drivers would know the wait times?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App
If its real small. Like a FedEx "station". The one I'm talking about was only about 5 bay doors long. I remember having to drive past the Ingram Park area from Lackland AFB to get there. Or maybe through it? That was over ten years ago. Ask HR when you are interviewed. They typically work at the hub but handle all of the buildings in their area.

Sent using BrownCafe App

antho1

I just called the local union and they said the extended is in Leon valley. Near 410 like you said. I live 10 mins from there. Near sea world. Could I ask how long the list is prior to accepting the job? I just don't want to get stuck waiting 8 years if I don't have to. 3-5 would be fine. I love to drive and I loved it at fedex. But I need to think long term. Benefits, pension, etc. The union person that knows the info is out till the 26th due to surgery.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The way things are poppin around this company, you probably picked the best time in recent history to get your foot in the door. Every day, every minute you wait, people are taking jobs, and they will *always* be in front of you when it comes time to go full time.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just called the local union and they said the extended is in Leon valley. Near 410 like you said. I live 10 mins from there. Near sea world. Could I ask how long the list is prior to accepting the job? I just don't want to get stuck waiting 8 years if I don't have to. 3-5 would be fine. I love to drive and I loved it at fedex. But I need to think long term. Benefits, pension, etc. The union person that knows the info is out till the 26th due to surgery.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yep that's it. I couldn't tell you about the wait times though.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
If you deliver to the Alamo don't forget to take your hat off before you enter. That is sacred ground to those dudes----I learned the hard way.

antho1

My appt is on Monday for the walk through. I guess I'll find out then. I choose either 11pm-3:30 am shift or the same but daytime. It said I was going to be seasonal. I thought if you were hired on before 10-15 than you were a normal hire and not seasonal.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

antho1

I still haven't visited the Alamo. Been here a year now. It's on the list. Rod are you a driver around here?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If you deliver to the Alamo don't forget to take your hat off before you enter. That is sacred ground to those dudes----I learned the hard way
Not only do you have to take your hat off, but they expect you to whisper when you talk, and flash photograpy is verboten!

UPSer171

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

Getting on in Leon Valley would be your best bet(driving distance) the one in San Antonio near foster road is way on the other side of town. If you don't mind the drive over there and the traffic, I think that one is easier to get on with. Hiring a lot of Part Timers right now.

Overpaid Union Thug

My appt is on Monday for the walk through. I guess I'll find out then. I choose either 11pm-3:30 am shift or the same but daytime. It said I was going to be seasonal. I thought if you were hired on before 10-15 than you were a normal hire and not seasonal.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App
Make sure you ask about Leon Valley. If there is an opening they should be able to place you there. I'd go for the one with the lesser wait time for driving and NORMALLY that would be the extended centers. But keep in mind what I said about some of the hubs going through hiring frenzies right now. If that is happening then you could possibly end up in package or even feeders very quickly in the hub. They are hiring part-timers into package and feeders with as little as a few months seniority in some of the hubs.

antho1

That's what I want goal wise. Would love to be package as soon as I can. I am 33 so I know that I should be able to do package for 15-20 years. Then move to feeders. Unless I can get into feeders earlier. Would getting into feeders as soon as I can be ideal or should you stay package longer?

Question. Do you guys have to pre and post trip?

Sent using BrownCafe App