San Antonio Hub

antho1

I was asking because when I was at fedex I had to pre and post and log it in the book. Are you guys required to have a CDL or just regular license?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

d1994

I work a the SA hub off foster rd. Started seasonal Oct 94 rehire 1/95, started pkg 10/2000, FT 2002, start feeder school 9/8/14. I would be a little hesitant about LV, because moving 30 routes over to my hub. My guess would be not all 30 drivers are coming so that would leave a lot of drivers over there.. Just my 2 cents.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I work a the SA hub off foster rd. Started seasonal Oct 94 rehire 1/95, started pkg 10/2000, FT 2002, start feeder school 9/8/14. I would be a little hesitant about LV, because moving 30 routes over to my hub. My guess would be not all 30 drivers are coming so that would leave a lot of drivers over there.. Just my 2 cents.

Sent using BrownCafe App

This is year has been, and seems to continue to be, the only year in decades where it is actually more lucrative to be hired into a hub rather than an extended center.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I was asking because when I was at fedex I had to pre and post and log it in the book. Are you guys required to have a CDL or just regular license?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

A regular license (and D.O.T card) is all you need to be a delivery driver, a CDL is required for feeders.

Pre/post trips are required in both delivery AND feeders, although some drivers who claim to be rushed sometimes skip them :o

antho1

Sent using BrownCafe App

Would you happen to know how long it is taking PT to get into driving there?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

d1994

2-3 months. My loader is a good worker and wants to drive but he is lacking one skill.. He doesn't know how to drive stick

Sent using BrownCafe App

antho1

2-3 months. My loader is a good worker and wants to drive but he is lacking one skill.. He doesn't know how to drive stick

Sent using BrownCafe App

Really? That's fast. Looks like I will be accepting whatever they give me. I work hard, learn quick, and have a great memory. School was just not my thing. Never did homework but aced tests. I am very hopeful now. How long to become FT?

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

pickup

At some point, this current fast track to going to ft from the hub is going to be shut down. This current trend can't go on forever. The economy is good right now, but it looks like Europe is going to go into a triple dip recession. Since we are a global market, troubles there will probably slow us down here. So if you, the original poster make this move , just remember , that hiring surge can become a hiring freeze. It's happened before and can happen again. Anyone remember 2008?????

P

pickup

I'm going to disagree with you here, quite strongly. The economy is still crap. The hiring bonanza is due to
A) Retirees
B) Firings
C) Trying to avoid a repeat of last peak.

It's got nothing to do with a "strong economy"

You know what , you're right. Let me rephrase my statement. Economic activity is slightly better right now than it was in 2008. The hiring bonanza is indeed due to those three things you listed. I would add, the continued push to e commerce is adding to volume.

Take a look at Best Buy. In store sales are down but its online store sales are way up. Macy's and Bed , Bath and Beyond are other examples of the traditional brick and mortar businesses increasingly selling their stuff online. Volume benefits from that. But if this crap economy got worse (and it can) volume can decrease and that would not bode well for any low seniority hub part timer trying to make a quick transition to full time driving.

We've had hiring sprees in the past only to be followed by hiring freezes. Just like in musical chairs, the music doesn't go on forever, and somebody ends up without a seat. Just wanted to let the OP be aware of this.

Overpaid Union Thug

You know what , you're right. Let me rephrase my statement. Economic activity is slightly better right now than it was in 2008. The hiring bonanza is indeed due to those three things you listed. I would add, the continued push to e commerce is adding to volume.

Take a look at Best Buy. In store sales are down but its online store sales are way up. Macy's and Bed , Bath and Beyond are other examples of the traditional brick and mortar businesses increasingly selling their stuff online. Volume benefits from that. But if this crap economy got worse (and it can) volume can decrease and that would not bode well for any low seniority hub part timer trying to make a quick transition to full time driving.

We've had hiring sprees in the past only to be followed by hiring freezes. Just like in musical chairs, the music doesn't go on forever, and somebody ends up without a seat. Just wanted to let the OP be aware of this.
If he opts for the hub and becomes a fulltime driver and the bottom falls out like you say (and I agree it could) at least there he could get his 8 hours on two consecutive shifts. Such as twilight/ midnight or midnight/sunrise. Even noonday (if they have it) and twilight. The Leon Valley extended center probably only has reload and preload. If he goes there and goes fulltime and the economy tanks he'd have to work split shifts to get his 8 hours. Waking up at 2:30am for preload and then having to be back for reload around 6pm is tough. That's something to consider.

If he's still part time when the hiring frenzy ends and/or the economy tanks again he'd be better off in the extended center. That's because once the hiring frenzy ends the ridiculously long wait times to go fulltime in the hubs will be back again. For example.... my extended center's average wait time is around 4.5 years. The hub we are extended from is 10 years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

antho1

I will find out soon. Would the person doing the walk through know wait times? Is it a normal question new hires or potential employees ask?

I wouldn't mind waiting a few years. But 5-10, no thanks. I am starting late as it is.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

I will find out soon. Would the person doing the walk through know wait times? Is it a normal question new hires or potential employees ask?

I wouldn't mind waiting a few years. But 5-10, no thanks. I am starting late as it is.

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App
They know but they are likely going to try and persuade you to opt for wherever they are the most understaffed. That's normally the hub. HR has been known to lie for that reason. They'll knowingly hire someone that lives 5 minutes from one building to work at the hub that's 30 minutes away. Hopefully you will have an honest HR rep. Ask any question you have. It's their job to answer.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Doubt if the people conducting the tours can give you an accurate answer. They usually are PT HR who just recite a speech during the tours.

antho1

Just got done. It is for regular not seasonal. Starting pay is $10/hr. The HR guy said that 6-8 months maybe sooner till either full time driver or TCD. They are building more centers here and that will be done in November. Just more opportunity to advance. Can't wait! 2nd interview is tomorrow night.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

Just got done. It is for regular not seasonal. Starting pay is $10/hr. The HR guy said that 6-8 months maybe sooner till either full time driver or TCD. They are building more centers here and that will be done in November. Just more opportunity to advance. Can't wait! 2nd interview is tomorrow night.

Sent using BrownCafe App
For which building?

Also...... if they are adding centers some people from one of the current buildings will probably be forced to move to them. That's what happened here decades ago. And anyone that isn't forced to move can follow their work if they want to. It's starting to look like the San Antonio area is a good area to get hired in right now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

antho1

For which building?

Also...... if they are adding centers some people from one of the current buildings will probably be forced to move to them. That's what happened here decades ago. And anyone that isn't forced to move can follow their work if they want to. It's starting to look like the San Antonio area is a good area to get hired in right now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The main hub. They have two buildings going up. One on each side of the street. It's on the same street as the main hub. It's about a 40 minute drive from my house. All freeway though. If I can get into driving quick it will be worth it. I can always move closer to work.

They are setting up a day sort from 10-4 starting nov 1. I will be training at night till then. I think me having prior experience package handling and being a driver made him jump to the 2nd interview real quick. He did say during his spiel that at 6 months is when you can start bidding. If they have a need sooner with they promote sooner?

Anthony

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nike

I dont live to far away from the alamo city, actually lived there for many years as a kid...
San Antonio or rather central Texas is blowing up like crazy, OP don't let any of these yankees from up north on this forum tell you otherwise. There are indeed new UPS facilities opening up around San Antonio, probably another one for the New Braunfels and Canyon lake area as well in the not to distant future. There is just so much new business moving out here, from Amazon, to the oil boom down south in the Eagle Ford UPS cant ignore this regions vast growth, as much as it wants too I might add.

A completely temporary driver was delivering to my dads business down there near WW White road, a major industrial area in SA. In 4 months him and his temporary replacement driver both had permamant full time driving positions within the company. The area where near I live happens to be one of the fastest growing towns in the US right now just outside SA. If you can drive/drive stick and keep your nose clean YOU WILL be driving in the next 6 months