Sat Air driver pay confusion

hyena

Im an exception sat air driver. On my last paycheck they only paid me air rate for half the day the other half they have me on carwash and they want to pay me inside rate. Has anyone else had a problem with this. Thanx for everyones input.

hyena

So after two years they just decide to start paying me different? Hmm could it have something to do with the fact I went to top rate? Also I thought when I worked on sat It was as an air driver no one ever said im also coming in to preload. The point is when I first started I was told on sat I would be paid air driver rate not my inside rate!

UPSGUY72

Im an exception sat air driver. On my last paycheck they only paid me air rate for half the day the other half they have me on carwash and they want to pay me inside rate. Has anyone else had a problem with this. Thanx for everyones input.

Did you ask your SUP why they did that? Did you do anything else besides deliver air on sat ? If not I'd file a grievance. UPS is probably trying to pull a fast one thinking that you won't do anything about it and they save a couple of bucks.

chopstic

So after two years they just decide to start paying me different? Hmm could it have something to do with the fact I went to top rate? Also I thought when I worked on sat It was as an air driver no one ever said im also coming in to preload. The point is when I first started I was told on sat I would be paid air driver rate not my inside rate!

Yep... Its not like driving ground as an air driver, where you get bumped up to top wage ground driver pay for all shifts performed that day. They only pay you air driving wages for the time you work as an air driver. If you've gotten away with air driver pay for inside work before you should feel lucky.

bingbing

if they are paying you for a pre-load shift before you actually drive then tell them you want your guarantee for the shift 3.5 hrs. they will stop the nonsense. i did this on a holiday Friday, there was about 1.5 hrs of pre-loading due to all the airs that day. they changed my code to diminish my pay rate. i filed for my guarantee for this supposed pre-load shift . they ended up saying they didn't know how the time code was "accidentally" change and cut me a green check for the difference in time.

hyena

if they are paying you for a pre-load shift before you actually drive then tell them you want your guarantee for the shift 3.5 hrs. they will stop the nonsense. i did this on a holiday Friday, there was about 1.5 hrs of pre-loading due to all the airs that day. they changed my code to diminish my pay rate. i filed for my guarantee for this supposed pre-load shift . they ended up saying they didn't know how the time code was "accidentally" change and cut me a green check for the difference in time.
Yea I didnt think of that plus they would have to pay me overtime for sat is my 6th day of work.

rebel

The company did this in our center last year. It was grieved and won. You will be paid as an air driver for all ours worked on saturday including the sort. Ask for back pay in your grievance and the penalty pay. Get with your steward if you need help. This grievance was settled and paid without going to the panel.

Last edited:

chopstic

The company did this in our center last year. It was grieved and won. You will be paid as an air driver for all ours worked on saturday including the sort. Ask for back pay in your grievance and the penalty pay. Get with your steward if you need help. This grievance was settled and paid without going to the panel.

I would appreciate more info on this, as I perform a lot of air driving duties sporadically during my shift everyday throughout the week. Am I entitled to air driver pay for all hours worked inside during the shift, sinced I mixed in a bit of air driving? If so, this would make my paycheck much happier.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would appreciate more info on this, as I perform a lot of air driving duties sporadically during my shift everyday throughout the week. Am I entitled to air driver pay for all hours worked inside during the shift, sinced I mixed in a bit of air driving? If so, this would make my paycheck much happier.

As a 22.3 inside/outside, you are. If you are driving during your inside hours, you can certainly claim the higher pay rate with a grievance. Just be warned, they will ride you to hell and back after that grievance.

rebel

An exception air driver has no guarantee. I am thinking you are talking about driving air during the week after or before your regular shift, preload or local sort. It would not apply.

rebel

As a 22.3 inside/outside, you are. If you are driving during your inside hours, you can certainly claim the higher pay rate with a grievance. Just be warned, they will ride you to hell and back after that grievance.

There was not any retaliation in our center. However, we did settle for only the pay correction and not the back pay. We had multiple grievances on this from all affected employees.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There was not any retaliation in our center. However, we did settle for only the pay correction and not the back pay. We had multiple grievances on this from all affected employees.

Chopstic to my knowledge is not a PTer, but an inside/outside 22.3 air. That is addressing the first post.

As far as retaliation, I agree, it would be less chafing to only grieve for a pay rate correction. But then again, if it is just one person filing and that person was making deals to do air driving instead of inside work (two halves air driving instead of combo), then they will likely be targeted for "misbehaving". Just IMO

chopstic

Chopstic to my knowledge is not a PTer, but an inside/outside 22.3 air. That is addressing the first post.

As far as retaliation, I agree, it would be less chafing to only grieve for a pay rate correction. But then again, if it is just one person filing and that person was making deals to do air driving instead of inside work (two halves air driving instead of combo), then they will likely be targeted for "misbehaving". Just IMO

sorry... I should have clarified. I'm part-time working as a revenue recovery auditor, and I do exception & saturday air driving. There really isn't much difference between air driving on saturday as opposed to air driving EAM during the week. So I'm guessing the contractual rules would be the same for both.

An exception air driver has no guarantee. I am thinking you are talking about driving air during the week after or before your regular shift, preload or local sort. It would not apply.

Most of the time I drive before my regular shift. But sometimes I do a little exception air work during my rev-recovery shift, would this bump my whole shift to air driver wages?

rebel

Most of the time I drive before my regular shift. But sometimes I do a little exception air work during my rev-recovery shift, would this bump my whole shift to air driver wages?[/QUOTE]

No

rebel

then they will likely be targeted for "misbehaving". Just IMO[/QUOTE]

If they are misbehaving they should be targeted

UnconTROLLed

perfection
then they will likely be targeted for "misbehaving". Just IMO

If they are misbehaving they should be targeted[/QUOTE]

I agree, but filing a valid grievance is not misbehaving to anyone except management who tries everything to flex and break the contract their way wherever and whenever possible.

rebel

If they are misbehaving they should be targeted

I agree, but filing a valid grievance is not misbehaving to anyone except management who tries everything to flex and break the contract their way wherever and whenever possible.[/QUOTE]

Some people will be scared all of their life......... MAN UP