Satellite Routes?

mikeyb

Hello everyone. Can anyone point me to where the contract discusses satellite routes? I can't seem to find it in the contract book and I can't reach a steward. Basically, there is a satellite route going up that nobody wants.
At the current time, I am the lowest senior driver and was told that I'd have to take it. I was told not to sign the bid sheet because in a month, we will have another retiree which will bring in another full timer. Of course, I will no longer be the low guy and he will be forced to it. Being a new driver, he is terrified and doesn't want to drive 60 miles every day to get to the area.
I feel a little bad about bumping him. I have heard that there could possibly be a way out of it for him. So, I wanted to check it out. Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

BrownTexas

Once you are forced onto the route you can only bid off it. You can't bump off it. Had that problem at our center. Sorry champ. Have fun out there.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hello everyone. Can anyone point me to where the contract discusses satellite routes? I can't seem to find it in the contract book and I can't reach a steward. Basically, there is a satellite route going up that nobody wants.
At the current time, I am the lowest senior driver and was told that I'd have to take it. I was told not to sign the bid sheet because in a month, we will have another retiree which will bring in another full timer. Of course, I will no longer be the low guy and he will be forced to it. Being a new driver, he is terrified and doesn't want to drive 60 miles every day to get to the area.
I feel a little bad about bumping him. I have heard that there could possibly be a way out of it for him. So, I wanted to check it out. Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

Sorry bud, can't help you on this one. We are having the opposite problem at our center. Several satellite routes are opening up for bid and we are being told we cannot bid them but they are going to hire for those routes from the outside. We have been told that if we want them, we have to terminate and then reapply. Good luck and keep us posted.

scooby0048

That sucks!! Makes no sense. So a newby could get a rural easier job. While you are on a downtown route? You can't bump them off?
Nope, they claim it's a different center even though everything is run out of one building. Mind you, a building is what I said, the other 3 "centers" are nothing more than a portable unenclosed dock that has a table and some rollers. There is no walls, roof, doors, windows, or office.

I don't know shake my head daily over it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
One of our hubs up here. Is still using the extra building they used for xmas. UPS wants to split the bid. The union is fighting it still. The bid was to be held on February 1st. My bet --- UPS will win

By The Book

Sorry bud, can't help you on this one. We are having the opposite problem at our center. Several satellite routes are opening up for bid and we are being told we cannot bid them but they are going to hire for those routes from the outside. We have been told that if we want them, we have to terminate and then reapply. Good luck and keep us posted.
No, good luck to you. I don't think what you said is ok. If your supplement has route bidding procedures, follow them. If these are separate centers with their own seniority lists then they wouldn't be able to be bid from your center, right?
If you want a home and its near your home bid it. Your not bumping a guy if you own the bid, and lets remember this new full timer hasn't even been hired yet.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Whoever told you that you have to take it is a dam liar, and their lying to you. Why would you even remotely think about taking a satellite route if its nowhere near where you live, that's just stupid really. Youll probably just have to bid cover if theres nothing to bid on, usually how it works if theres really nothing left to bid on. Just don't see why a driver who lives near that satellite route wouldn't take it. All seems odd really cause I don't see how they could force the other guy into taking the satellite route if he lives nowhere near the route. Id file a grievance if I were that dude.

scooby0048

No, good luck to you. I don't think what you said is ok. If your supplement has route bidding procedures, follow them. If these are separate centers with their own seniority lists then they wouldn't be able to be bid from your center, right?

If you want a home and its near your home bid it. Your not bumping a guy if you own the bid, and lets remember this new full timer hasn't even been hired yet.

I kinda lost you the first couple sentences but I think you are responding to both myself and the OP. Our center has 3 satellites to which they consider separate centers. Each satellite center has only one driver. Each satellite is just a platform with a table and roller, no walls, no roof, no noting just a place to park the car and transfer packages. Two of the satellites are going to be coming open due to retirement and resignations. We have been told that the only way we can bid for those is to terminate and rehire otherwise they will hire two newbies to take the routes.

Right now we have swing drivers covering the routes which are both 60+ miles away. Pretty friend'ed up if you ask me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Happened here Satellite route nobody wanted 50 miles from center. They forced the Jr. Man to run it until they could hire somebody off the street. They did pay him mileage to and from since he was forced. Took about 2 months to get somebody hired.
On a side note route lasted less than 3 months then they brought it back

Rainman

Its all good.
There are a number if satellite routes out of our building. They are all considered part of the centers they originate from. If not, why would a separate center be responsible for manning and dispatching that route every day? Get the union to file on that one. There is no way those routes should be considered separate centers. Do they have separate center numbers? Sounds like management BS to me.

By The Book

I kinda lost you the first couple sentences but I think you are responding to both myself and the OP. Our center has 3 satellites to which they consider separate centers. Each satellite center has only one driver. Each satellite is just a platform with a table and roller, no walls, no roof, no noting just a place to park the car and transfer packages. Two of the satellites are going to be coming open due to retirement and resignations. We have been told that the only way we can bid for those is to terminate and rehire otherwise they will hire two newbies to take the routes.

Right now we have swing drivers covering the routes which are both 60+ miles away. Pretty friend'ed up if you ask me.
If they are covered from your center they should be bid from your center. There is a hiring ratio that they have to meet, usually a 6 to 1(6 inside employees who make seniority then 1 outside/off the street). When these satellite routes bid driver is working how do they get their packages? If their names are on your centers operating report, like in the same loop as your loops they are your centers drivers. They want to do this so they don't have to pay for travel time and possibly miles on their package cars to go back and forth. My good luck comment was for your situation as if I read the op correctly they were able to bid these routes in bfe and you couldn't.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

If that's the scenario I totally agree with ya dude, but then again nothing surprises me with these DUMBPHUQCKS anymore, these idiots could screw up a wet dream lmfao.

iruhnman630

I second the op's inquiry...where is tge pertinent language?

Clearly as bottom man, he will be buying gas for UPS and donating his time commuting to the sattellite. However....

What I don't get is why the next new low man wouldn't replace him...

By The Book

Happened here Satellite route nobody wanted 50 miles from center. They forced the Jr. Man to run it until they could hire somebody off the street. They did pay him mileage to and from since he was forced. Took about 2 months to get somebody hired.
On a side note route lasted less than 3 months then they brought it back
If no one bids these routes they should never be able to hire off the street before bringing the routes back to the building. That is if their intent is to circumvent the hiring ratio in any way.

By The Book

I second the op's inquiry...where is tge pertinent language?

Clearly as bottom man, he will be buying gas for UPS and donating his time commuting to the sattellite. However....

What I don't get is why the next new low man wouldn't replace him...
If he bids it he pays for gas, if he's forced onto the route he drives a package car to and from. I would think if he doesn't bid it he covers it until the new driver comes on board.

scooby0048

If they are covered from your center they should be bid from your center. There is a hiring ratio that they have to meet, usually a 6 to 1(6 inside employees who make seniority then 1 outside/off the street). When these satellite routes bid driver is working how do they get their packages? If their names are on your centers operating report, like in the same loop as your loops they are your centers drivers. They want to do this so they don't have to pay for travel time and possibly miles on their package cars to go back and forth. My good luck comment was for your situation as if I read the op correctly they were able to bid these routes in bfe and you couldn't.
Gotcha on the first couple of sentences, and you are correct comparing our center to the OP's ability to bid. All of our satellite centers have their stuff shuttled to them by one our swing drivers every morning.

As for the last part of your response, I have a feeling that you are right about the miles, wear and tear, and drive time. Because it has been like that for so many years, I think that UPS would win the argument as a past practice. When I say years, I'm talking like 25+ years that a driver has run that route and lived in the city where the satellite is based.