Saturday Air Grievance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was asked to work this morning by my on-car. As I am pulling out of the building to head to the airport a casual driver pulls in and asks me where I am going. It turns out he was also asked to work this morning. I could have played the seniority card but instead let him work as he didn't get his 40 hours this week. My question is this--am I entitled to the four hour minimum as I was asked by management to work this morning or did I forfeit that when I let the junior employee work?

I was asked to work this morning by my on-car. As I am pulling out of the building to head to the airport a casual driver pulls in and asks me where I am going. It turns out he was also asked to work this morning. I could have played the seniority card but instead let him work as he didn't get his 40 hours this week. My question is this--am I entitled to the four hour minimum as I was asked by management to work this morning or did I forfeit that when I let the junior employee work?
No you went home on a voluntary basis not a lay off. You helped out a young lower senority Teamster. I would pat yourself on the back because you did a nice thing.

Big Babooba

In my opinion, you don't have a leg to stand on. You were asked to work. You showed up to work. You volunteered to go home. Enjoy the day off.

Raw

Raw Member
I should file a grievance on you for wasting my time reading this question! LOL ( just kidding) Thx for helping a junior employee!!:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I knew the day would come when Upstate and the word grievance would be used together by him! I would gladly file this on your behalf.

Ps its a losing grievance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's what I thought. Now, let me ask you this--had I decided to play the seniority card, would the junior employee be justified in filing a grievance for the four hour minimum?

Big Babooba

That's what I thought. Now, let me ask you this--had I decided to play the seniority card, would the junior employee be justified in filing a grievance for the four hour minimum?
You said that he was a casual. What is the definition of a casual employee in your supplement? Do your casuals get seniority? Are casuals guaranteed work? Ours don't get seniority and are not guaranteed work.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You said that he was a casual. What is the definition of a casual employee in your supplement? Do your casuals get seniority? Are casuals guaranteed work? Ours don't get seniority and are not guaranteed work.
I think "Casual" means they can come to work whenever they like.:wink2:

JonFrum

Your Supplement and local practice and the details of the situation may change how this case is handled, but according to Article 40, additional Saturday Air Work is intended first for part-timers . . .

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Section 1 - Air Drivers

(k) Saturday or Sunday Air Work
(1) To perform Saturday or Sunday air work the Employer and the Union recognize the need for air drivers other than those regularly scheduled. Qualified part-time employees who are interested in performing this work will so notify the Employer, be certified and be placed in seniority order on a posted qualified air driver list. Such work will be first offered in seniority order to employees on the qualified list who have not worked more than thirty-seven (37) hours in the current week. This work shall then be offered in seniority order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time employees in reverse seniority order.

(2) These employees shall be paid at the air driver’s straight-time rate of pay in accordance with Section 6 below. Time and one-half (1-1/2) will be paid after eight (8) hours per day or after forty (40) hours per week.

(3) All employees working as an air driver on Saturday or Sunday under this Section shall have a three (3) hour guarantee.

over9five

Staff member
You both could have demanded to work as you both were told to report. You both could have gotten paid if you hadn't have volunteered to go home.

UPSGUY72

You both could have demanded to work as you both were told to report. You both could have gotten paid if you hadn't have volunteered to go home.

only UPstate would have been guranteed work or pay not the casual driver. Casual driver don't have the same rights as regular drivers

over9five

Staff member
Upstate was already on the clock driving away. Did they have different start times? Too bad the casual didn't start first, then they both would have had to be paid!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Upstate was already on the clock driving away. Did they have different start times? Too bad the casual didn't start first, then they both would have had to be paid!
I think Upstate would only have chosen to "get paid", if they actually needed his services. He doesn't strike me as someone that would push the issue, but I could be wrong.

I'm still confused as to what constitutes "casual" employment.

over9five

Staff member
I think Upstate would only have chosen to "get paid", if they actually needed his services. He doesn't strike me as someone that would push the issue, but I could be wrong.

If I showed up as directed, I'd be getting paid.

Me too. HERE, you can only have casuals certain times of the year, and this aint it!

UPSGUY72

We still have casuals we had them all sumer. they get laid off the last two weeks in Sept or they gain there senority. Then they get hired back starting in OCT.

over9five

Staff member
We still have casuals we had them all sumer. they get laid off the last two weeks in Sept or they gain there senority. Then they get hired back starting in OCT.

HERE, too. I didn't think it was quite time to have them back. Too early in October.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

You're such a kind soul. You let a junior person get hours. What an honorble and caring person.

This is what you made this thread for, right? :dead: