Saturday air.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like I said as others have, you don't know the variables that went on in those 15 stops. It could very well have taken 3 hours with a lot of miles, heavy traffic or long ass driveways..

The delivery area on Saturday is generally limited to the 1030 commit area so I doubt there were any "long ass driveways". 15 stops in 3 hours is a pathetic pace.

upschuck

The delivery area on Saturday is generally limited to the 1030 commit area so I doubt there were any "long ass driveways". 15 stops in 3 hours is a pathetic pace.
We have our whole delivery area for Sat air, that includes the extended areas that have no commit time on a weekday.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

That may be the case in Puppytown, but here, and in many other places it's 1 or 2 drivers per town regardless of size.

When I was doing it 12 years ago, I had all Saturday airs for one particular zip code and regularly had 30-40 stops.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I was going to make a topic on "Saturday Air", but here is probably best to post my curiosities.

What exactly is the position "Saturday Air"? Is it driving the brown package car on a much smaller scale than the normal work week?

Seniority always rules, but how long do you need to be working to be able to put your name on a list? (I know to go FT Driving, you need to be working at least a year, so that's why I ask this).

What is the pay rate like? How is the progression?

Can a regular loader work his normal M-friend work week and work this position as well?

Is the position always open or does it go by "There's no work today, you can stay home" type of deal?

Any possible information, even if not asked in my post would be greatly appreciated.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I was going to make a topic on "Saturday Air", but here is probably best to post my curiosities.

What exactly is the position "Saturday Air"? Is it driving the brown package car on a much smaller scale than the normal work week? Yes, you drive a smaller package car either a 5 or 7 cube. I usually went out with 30-40 stops over a 5 town area in a 7 cube and the air commit time in my area is 12pm.

Seniority always rules, but how long do you need to be working to be able to put your name on a list? (I know to go FT Driving, you need to be working at least a year, so that's why I ask this).
Usually a bid sheet will go up in the center. Do not think there is a waiting period like a full time bid

See article 40 under master contract
Can a regular loader work his normal M-friend work week and work this position as well? Yes, I worked 6 days a week as a pre-loader and air driver

Is the position always open or does it go by "There's no work today, you can stay home" type of deal?
There can be times where volume is light can be notified you are not needed. I'm my case it only happened twice in the year I drove air
Any possible information, even if not asked in my post would be greatly appreciated.

PT Car Washer

What exactly is the position "Saturday Air"? Is it driving the brown package car on a much smaller scale than the normal work week?

Can a regular loader work his normal M-friend work week and work this position as well?

Read Art 40 to answer most of your questions. Put your name on the Sat. list and as soon as you are qualified you will work by PT building seniority. Work your regular PT sort Mon. thru Fri. There is work every Sat. and working depends on your seniority and package volume. Go out with anywhere from 15 to 30 stops. Mostly envelopes or small packages to residential areas. Some commercial also. 2 year progression with top pay currently at $24.74 an hour. No OT unless you have worked 40 hours that week or go over 8 hours that day. I urge you to go sign up today. I don't know about your building but we are way short of PT Saturday drivers. Easiest job for the money anywhere.

AGKLM

Go in early to map out your area if the sup can print you out a manifest with your forecasted stops. I'd also prerecord all my stops before leaving the building.

Unless you know the area like the back of your hand, I think the average is around 5-10 stops per hour for a Saturday in my area. Depends on the delivery area, it's distance from the building and the type of stops (bus, resi, sig req, cod, buzz in apt etc.) .

After my first several Saturdays I'd go home and type all my stops into Google Maps on my home computer and look at how I delivered them or re-arrange them to see what may have worked more efficiently. Plus looking over the map and reading street names, seeing how roads connect etc helped me out... a little homework. I'd use google maps on my phone for speed, but you need a paper map too. Try both.

Try to learn something new every time and do not cheat or mess with the commit times by changing zip codes or DR'ing stops off area... send a message if you are going to have lates.

EmraldArcher

UPS gets enough out of me. This would be how it would go for me.

Sups: are you sure you can get these 12 stops off before noon?

ME: I think so, but it will be cutting it close.

Then return to center by 1.

Yup.

Nothing like making $100 for 4 hours of work and less deliveries then I do in half an hour during the week.

Overpaid Union Thug

Back when I had no area knowledge on Saturdays I'd look everything up on a map (pre smart phone era) and lightly mark each on the map with a pencil (so it could be erased and done again next time) and put them order according to where they are on the map. I'd right them down on a paper in order with their map grid coordinates next to them so I could quickly find them while on the road. Typing the addresses was sometimes a bitch because unless you have a DIAD that has the information for a broad area of town then not all of them would populate with only the first three letters of a street. Meaning....allot more typing. Pre-recording is always an option but I usually didn't bother with it.

I miss Saturdays. I usually work on the extremely rare occasion when they need a full-timer or two. The only thing I don't like about working saturdays now is dealing with the newbs that piss and moan about having too many stops and/or for simply having to be there. Hell most of them are already whining the Friday before. I always wonder why they even sign up for it.

PT Car Washer

Really good idea about marking the map. That way you can also see where you can use the main streets to your advantage. Our stops are more like a shotgun pattern on the map. Hard to be very efficient. We have been using a couple FT drivers last couple months as we can't get any more PTers to sign up. I always tell guys in the hub that after the 2 year progression it will be the easiest money you will ever make at UPS.

FilingBluesFL

After a couple weekends of doing Saturday airs, I threw away the paper map.

Best advice: Go to a Map store, and buy a LAMINATED map. Then buy a nice, easily visible contrasting Dry Erase marker, and use that.

You can even draw yourself a little route on how to get to and from stops.

Management will try to push you out of the building while you're "planning" your route, but that'll just end up in you taking more time out there on the road, where someone can hit you while parked.

Did Saturday air today, 19 stops in two hours. We use Diads from a different center, so nothing will populate on the boards.

Biggest challenge is not having gate codes for all the gated communities on Saturday. If you find yourself in that situation, get with the driver that covers those areas during the week and see if he/she would be kind enough to pass on the gate codes.

EmraldArcher

After a couple weekends of doing Saturday airs, I threw away the paper map.

Best advice: Go to a Map store, and buy a LAMINATED map. Then buy a nice, easily visible contrasting Dry Erase marker, and use that.

You can even draw yourself a little route on how to get to and from stops.

Management will try to push you out of the building while you're "planning" your route, but that'll just end up in you taking more time out there on the road, where someone can hit you while parked.

Did Saturday air today, 19 stops in two hours. We use Diads from a different center, so nothing will populate on the boards.

Biggest challenge is not having gate codes for all the gated communities on Saturday. If you find yourself in that situation, get with the driver that covers those areas during the week and see if he/she would be kind enough to pass on the gate codes.

19 stops in two hours? You're missing the point of Saturday air.

I did 15 stops in 4 hours.

Not having the gate codes is wonderful.

BrownChoice

Generally speaking, 15 stops in 3 hours, which works out to 1 stop every 12 minutes, is a snails pace.

Not if each stop IS 12 minutes apart, hell, some of the stops i get can be 20 minutes apart. And I dont milk the clock, I can promise you that.

I average about 60-70 miles on a light Saturday. Have had 180 miles as the most.

Like I said, I cover a large area.

FilingBluesFL

19 stops in two hours? You're missing the point of Saturday air.

I did 15 stops in 4 hours.

Not having the gate codes is wonderful.

I only had 2 Hours and 15 Minutes available due to DOT regs...

So I got as close to my max allowed hours in as possible, so... 2 hours was all I had available.

It was either that or sit at home. I can bust ass for $100, no biggie.