saturday driving

ok here's a new one on me, I am a saturday air driver for my center for the last year and a half, I'd say i have drove about a total of 20-25 times and as for the rest of the year i was on call, not fun wasting every saturday waiting for ups to call and also the fact i could be making money else where on a saturday instead of wondering if im gonna make money, i do realize im on bottom of list and also have been told i would drive for the last 2 seasons which did not happen, so anyway i got a full time job to go along with my ups job which requires to work every saturday, i took the job, i told my manager im not driving saturdays no more, i can't live off of 20 hours a week i need 2nd job, im now told that i will not EVER be allowed to drive again if i quit, is this possibly true???????????????

QKRSTKR

U do Sat. air in addition to another part time job at UPS? If yes, then no. Full time driving jobs go by senority, period. As far as air goes, I don't know how you would go about getting back on Sat. air list or how long you would have to wait.

see thats what i believe, i thought fulltime driving jobs go by seniority, im not interested in driving on saturdays right now due to the fact that i need to make more money right now and also cause we are easily 5-8 years away from me actually driving, i work in a small building with alot of younger drivers and i also got about 6-7 people in front of me, so i gotta make certain choices at this moment

QKRSTKR

If you have other things to do right now bro, then do them. UPS loves to have people at their beckon call. They don't care about you or how many hours you need or how much money u need. All they care about is you being available on a Saturday IF they need you. And full-time jobs do go by senority. So staying on Saturdays gets you no closer. It is good experience though.

It sounds like your center manager is the type that might hold this against you and remember these people make the decisions on whether or not you qualify when a full-time spot comes up.

QKRSTKR

Yes, BUT were talking 7-8 yrs. How many center managers have u had in 7-8 years. I've had about 6.

Also costs the company $$$ to train. They don't want to waste $$$ training people they have no intent of keeping.

Also, welcome to Brown cafe. Hope your screen name holds true for me.

OICU812

I am a TCD and a Saturday Air driver. I was told by my Union steward that in order to get out of Saturday driving, I had to write a letter disqualifying myself as a Saturday Air driver. This only applies if you are a TCD. I have no idea if your are not. I was told by one Saturday Air driver/non-TCD, the Center Mgr. told him if he disqualified himself from driving on Saturdays, he can look for another job because the company invested money and time in his training.

Yes, BUT were talking 7-8 yrs. How many center managers have u had in 7-8 years. I've had about 6.

Also costs the company $$$ to train. They don't want to waste $$$ training people they have no intent of keeping.

Also, welcome to Brown cafe. Hope your screen name holds true for me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I drove on sat for over 20 yrs, there was a constant turnover of drivers.
Guys and gals worked when they wanted to, some held other sat jobs and a few who only worked for UPS on sat.
If we were short, there was a full time driver's list to call from.
It is a money maker for UPS, and an good training for anyone who wanted to become a full time driver.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Saturday Air is an interesting job. It was great training for me. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to go full time. You can't be a diva.

Last edited:

QKRSTKR

I am a TCD and a Saturday Air driver. I was told by my Union steward that in order to get out of Saturday driving, I had to write a letter disqualifying myself as a Saturday Air driver. This only applies if you are a TCD. I have no idea if your are not. I was told by one Saturday Air driver/non-TCD, the Center Mgr. told him if he disqualified himself from driving on Saturdays, he can look for another job because the company invested money and time in his training.

But is he doing extra work on Sat. in addition to his normal Pt job at UPS? A center manager can't fire a person from their inside job for not wanting to drive on saturdays anymore. It goes back to UPS wants everyone at their beckon call.

When I was PT I needed the little extra money and it was so easy why not? I will say again though it is great experience for anyone wanting to go into a FT pkg job. You learn the diad and how to drive. Lot less stressful with 10 stops than 110.