Saturday routes are Depressing!

JustDeliverIt

They actually paused Saturday delivery at my hub for the next 6 weeks. All drivers working close to 70 hours, 6 days a week was getting everyone on edge. Today was the first Saturday they had off, only running some air routes. Not 100% sure how the company and/or union pulled it off, but good for those guys. Hopefully they go the full 6 weeks but not a lot of guys are counting on it.

Est.1998

Unless it’s NYC or similar. Double park and load up the hand truck from the rear door. We didn’t even have keys for the bulkhead doors on most trucks. Spent most of the day just sorting through the truck and figuring out the best sequence to load up the hand truck in. Then walked off with 20-30 stops (often in a single doorman drop), almost always pre-recording as they’re stacked onto the hand truck.
How did you get away with double parking?
Everytime i pull up, the car I'm blocking all of a sudden needs to go somewhere.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
image-asset.gif

Exiting the truck at every stop

PPH_over_9000

Sorry but what did you expect? The union folded like a deck of cards and allowed UPS to hire second class citizens. The only reason you’re even here is because the union is in the companies pocket. How long have you been here? Guarantee you were thrilled when they hired you, but now it’s nothing but complaining about Saturday routes. Suck it buttercup.

You're 100% right, but in my center there's no way to become an RPCD without bidding from a 22.4 position first. That's what they tell us anyways.... I watched the interest lists for a year or two waiting for an opportunity to jump from the preload to RPCD, finally got tired of waiting and just signed one of the several 22.4 lists that go up every week in my center.

I may've been conned but I definitely agree with you on one thing-- it's not the company's fault, it's the union's.

Either way, though, today was only my 4th day running a route by myself and Saturday's my new favorite day to hate.

ManInBrown

You're 100% right, but in my center there's no way to become an RPCD without bidding from a 22.4 position first. That's what they tell us anyways.... I watched the interest lists for a year or two waiting for an opportunity to jump from the preload to RPCD, finally got tired of waiting and just signed one of the several 22.4 lists that go up every week in my center.

I may've been conned but I definitely agree with you on one thing-- it's not the company's fault, it's the union's.

Either way, though, today was only my 4th day running a route by myself and Saturday's my new favorite day to hate.

PPH_over_9000

Huh? I made a post apologizing to you because I didn’t know you were an inside employee that put your time in, and then I realized you weren’t the OP, so there was no reason to apologize. You OK?

Heyyy, I can't see edit history or even the fact that that post was edited.

But yeah, I'm good. I'm used to vague and dismissive posts from the internet, so much so that I've come to expect them. Lemme apologize without the sarcasm, because that first one was a little insincere. Sorry, man.

I really was just trying to add to the discussion, I'm not here to start :censored2:.

542thruNthru

Heyyy, I can't see edit history or even the fact that that post was edited.

But yeah, I'm good. I'm used to vague and dismissive posts from the internet, so much so that I've come to expect them. Lemme apologize without the sarcasm, because that first one was a little insincere. Sorry, man.

I really was just trying to add to the discussion, I'm not here to start :censored2:.

You're good man. Its the internet. Hard to read emotions over text.

But yeah... shut up and don't respond to me because you're not allowed to talk to me. ;)

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
How did you get away with double parking?
Everytime i pull up, the car I'm blocking all of a sudden needs to go somewhere.
The only cardinal offenses were bus stop and fire hydrant... all other tickets are cost of doing business and get dropped in a wooden box labeled by Center near the clerk.

21Savage

Saturday's here been chill lately. Everybody(guys with hours) been getting done around 7:30 ish.

It's just those UPS Store pick ups that kill me. Those have been so freaking heavy lately. Like today, bricked myself out with one of the heaviest UPS Stores in our center and still had 55 stops left, which isn't shiiet but still... UPS Stores need to swept by mooses/post office guys.

The Monday through Friday guys either get a Post Office or full route with help from another guy with 5 hours, or PVD help.

Last edited:

JustDeliverIt

They are promoting that way in my center as well. They're hiring the max 25% of 22.4 guys and it's a FT position and a stepping stone to RPCD as people retire/leave.