Saturday UPS Ground

It will be fine

There's a million ups threads about this, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any chatter on how this will affect Fedex? No one in management around me has said anything and I get blank stares when I ask. We see a lot more Target freight on Saturdays and I'm guessing that'll disappear when ups gets going full swing.

Anyone heard about potential impacts?
How many HD shippers are with us because of sat delivery?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There's a million ups threads about this, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any chatter on how this will affect Fedex? No one in management around me has said anything and I get blank stares when I ask. We see a lot more Target freight on Saturdays and I'm guessing that'll disappear when ups gets going full swing.

Yeah, between Ground taking all of our non-priority freight (per bacha) and UPS going Saturday, Express will quickly fade into the sunset and become a footnote in the history books.

bacha29

It will probably mean another player in an already crowded weekend delivery space meaning more capacity with the only question being can growth in the E-commerce sector absorb all of it?

Oldfart

It will probably mean another player in an already crowded weekend delivery space meaning more capacity with the only question being can growth in the E-commerce sector absorb all of it?
Already crowded? USPS and Fedex is a crowd?

I don't think the growth of E-commerce has even reached its midpoint. It is getting bigger every day. There is plenty of freight for everyone and more to come.

Star B

White Lightening
Fragmented network?
UPS is UPS. It doesn't matter if your dealing with Ground or Air. When you call the 800 number at UPS, you don't have to ask for the 'Ground Division', and get transferred over there for a pickup. You put something small in a UPS dropbox, it goes on its merry way, not back to the station for a day waiting for the "Other Company" to move.

I mean, either UPS is giving away the farm with ARS or we're doing something totally wrong. I'm personally frustrated at the fact that I see us deliver so much freight, only for it to be handed to UPS for the ARS return. Maybe this will change with the Walgreens partnership... I don't know.

No you don't understand, every thread needs to turn into "the sky is falling, express is over" when in reality at this point in time every opco has plenty to do.
I agree there are too many "Sky is falling" posts, but, this one seems to be a legit question. Other than the post office, FXHD was the only major delivery company running a Saturday ground operation. Yes, it was resi only but it was a major ground operation. Businesses that ran a 6 day operation were locked to either using UPS Saturday AM, FXE SDR, or the post office. While I think that we may lose some SDR... I can't see any major drops in volume for Express because, well, if they wanted it to go ground, they would have shipped it ground. I can see, however, the shift from FXG/HD to UPSG because of the network integration I mentioned earlier.

Purplepackage

UPS is UPS. It doesn't matter if your dealing with Ground or Air. When you call the 800 number at UPS, you don't have to ask for the 'Ground Division', and get transferred over there for a pickup. You put something small in a UPS dropbox, it goes on its merry way, not back to the station for a day waiting for the "Other Company" to move.

I mean, either UPS is giving away the farm with ARS or we're doing something totally wrong. I'm personally frustrated at the fact that I see us deliver so much freight, only for it to be handed to UPS for the ARS return. Maybe this will change with the Walgreens partnership... I don't know.

I agree there are too many "Sky is falling" posts, but, this one seems to be a legit question. Other than the post office, FXHD was the only major delivery company running a Saturday ground operation. Yes, it was resi only but it was a major ground operation. Businesses that ran a 6 day operation were locked to either using UPS Saturday AM, FXE SDR, or the post office. While I think that we may lose some SDR... I can't see any major drops in volume for Express because, well, if they wanted it to go ground, they would have shipped it ground. I can see, however, the shift from FXG/HD to UPSG because of the network integration I mentioned earlier.

I agree, it could have a major impact on Home delivery. Quite frankly express barely has a Saturday operation, if you call doing 20 or so stops and working 4-5 hours an operation

It will be fine

UPS owns us on the return business. Shippers can make a return label linked to the original shipment so customers can track their inventory easily on its way out and way back in. We can't do that for some reason.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from their local management. If it weren't for this board I wouldn't even know that UPS was going to be running Saturday Ground here. I know it's been a big selling point for HD for the last decade.

bacha29

UPS owns us on the return business. Shippers can make a return label linked to the original shipment so customers can track their inventory easily on its way out and way back in. We can't do that for some reason.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from their local management. If it weren't for this board I wouldn't even know that UPS was going to be running Saturday Ground here. I know it's been a big selling point for HD for the last decade.
As everyone on this thread knows the business is driven by one thing and one thing only.....consumer discretionary spending. As long as that pipeline remains full of cash things will likely continue as is but eventually that pipeline as it invariably does will begin to dry up as consumer debt starts trending upward and cheap and easy credit gets harder to come by. The worst it could mean for an express grunt is getting laid off . For a contractor however the consequences are much more impactful because of a contractors broader economic obligations especially for the ones who are heavily leveraged . In the meantime X will continue to do whatever it damn well pleases and contractors will continue to be dragged along behind.

Star B

White Lightening

We can. If people use the website, there is an option to create a return shipment and it links together. You can even have it go out Express and come back via ground. So... the technology is there.

What gets me is Dell and Verizon. Phones, printers, monitors go out Express.... and then I see them in the UPS pile with an ARS tag the next day at the pack'n'ship place. I even experienced that myself with a Dell printer. All the printers (with standard shipping) came Express and then when it was time for them to go back because Dells firmware sucked... UPS was at my door with the call tags. soo... wtf?

Oldfart

I agree, it could have a major impact on Home delivery. Quite frankly express barely has a Saturday operation, if you call doing 20 or so stops and working 4-5 hours an operation
LOL Not in my area. Even though Amazon went way down, our SDR freight is still strong. I still get called about twice a month to see if I want to run some overflow. Our routes all run 40 or more P! stops and then have to run an E2 cycle.

Purplepackage

LOL Not in my area. Even though Amazon went way down, our SDR freight is still strong. I still get called about twice a month to see if I want to run some overflow. Our routes all run 40 or more P! stops and then have to run an E2 cycle.

I genuinely would like to know what area you work in

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Same here. 15-20 routes going out with 50 or so stops each. Guess we're both in hotspots. And BTW, ours is considered a medium sized station.

McFeely

Huge Member
I'm in a smaller station and our SDR routes are still plenty busy. 8-10 routes with 30-40 stops each with 12:00 commits. Super chill day for some easy OT hours.

Our station has roughly a good 30% more employees than we did 3 years ago. This area is growing pretty steadily.

Purplepackage

I'm in a smaller station and our SDR routes are still plenty busy. 8-10 routes with 30-40 stops each with 12:00 commits. Super chill day for some easy OT hours.

Our station has roughly a good 30% more employees than we did 3 years ago. This area is growing pretty steadily.

The growth out here is crazy, lots of young people moving out west