Saturday work with 70 hour rule

Rack em

Made the Podium
This week has been a :censored2: show for everyone I assume. I know I have had enough and there is no way I would work Saturday, but there are higher senior drivers who want the double time who volunteered and are being told they cannot work. Some have 64+ hours already and are being told they don't have enough hours to work so the company is using lower senior drivers instead.

The company is obviously doing this to avoid paying top rate double time instead of paying someone who is in progression double time. As far as I know the contract says extra work has to be offered from the top down so these higher senior drivers should be working! The only thing I can think the company can use is Article 26 where it says under the 70 hour rule the driver needs a full 8 hours. But that language is meant for if they FORCE drivers in, that in order to force them in they have to have a full 8 hours?

Thoughts? I told each and every one of them to file so they can hopefully get paid DOUBLE TIME to stay at home tomorrow.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I know that. Im just sayin, once they file on it, management will throw them in the meat grinder. Crush them with work, max hours everyday. Most are weak and cry uncle after one or two weeks
Max hours every day doesn't work with the 9.5 list.

Indecisi0n

Due to the 70 hour rule I ask everyone to be patient with us mods. There is just only so much time in a day for us to do mod work.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The only thing I can think the company can use is Article 26 where it says under the 70 hour rule the driver needs a full 8 hours. But that language is meant for if they FORCE drivers in, that in order to force them in they have to have a full 8 hours?

In the Central, they use Article 12 Section 7 to imply that if an employee does not have 8 hours available, then the Company does not have to put him to work.

Article 12

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work.

542thruNthru

This week has been a :censored2: show for everyone I assume. I know I have had enough and there is no way I would work Saturday, but there are higher senior drivers who want the double time who volunteered and are being told they cannot work. Some have 64+ hours already and are being told they don't have enough hours to work so the company is using lower senior drivers instead.

The company is obviously doing this to avoid paying top rate double time instead of paying someone who is in progression double time. As far as I know the contract says extra work has to be offered from the top down so these higher senior drivers should be working! The only thing I can think the company can use is Article 26 where it says under the 70 hour rule the driver needs a full 8 hours. But that language is meant for if they FORCE drivers in, that in order to force them in they have to have a full 8 hours?

Thoughts? I told each and every one of them to file so they can hopefully get paid DOUBLE TIME to stay at home tomorrow.

Unless your JC has something like @Mugarolla said. It sounds like a easy grievance to me.

Article 26.5 only says you can't be forced with less then 8 hours. It also says when the Company changes the sixty 60 hour rule it shall first solicit volunteers to work in excess of sixty 60 hours from all package car drivers. Then they can force after that.

Kidlogic

The way that works in my building. A driver with more then 62 hours of work on Friday and wants to work Saturday is that the driver drives until his 70 hours are up. Then washes trucks for the rest of his 8 hours.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central, they use Article 12 Section 7 to imply that if an employee does not have 8 hours available, then the Company does not have to put him to work.

Article 12

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work.
Two years ago on a Saturday during Peak, I drove 4 hours and picked up trash for the other 4, when I had 56 hours going into the day.

I would post a picture of me that day in my reflective vest, gloves, and trash picker....but I don't want to compromise my anonymity.

Over70irregs

Unless your JC has something like @Mugarolla said. It sounds like a easy grievance to me.

Article 26.5 only says you can't be forced with less then 8 hours. It also says when the Company changes the sixty 60 hour rule it shall first solicit volunteers to work in excess of sixty 60 hours from all package car drivers. Then they can force after that.
So maybe you might not want to use an 8 hr day in order to max out hours?

Ghost in the Darkness

If the company is implementing the 70 hour rule there is no way that they are honoring 8 hour requests at the same time.

True. If people put in for them and they were ok'd but not honored then grieve it.
If the company fights for 70hr weeks, they should have to honor seniority first then force if it comes to that unless prior agreements were in place.
We don't have 70hr rule here right now, they did it on a weekly basis and only for the week after black friday last year.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Two years ago on a Saturday during Peak, I drove 4 hours and picked up trash for the other 4, when I had 56 hours going into the day.

I would post a picture of me that day in my reflective vest, gloves, and trash picker....but I don't want to compromise my anonymity.

You realize your picture has already been posted?

And it happens all the time that they work drivers with less than 8 hours available, but also happens all the time that they don't work drivers because they do not have 8 hours available.

It's whether or not they need you. And no, it should not be this way. It should be one or the other....always.