Saturdays

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There was a recent thread where someone heard a rumor from a "reliable source" that they were going to start invoking the Tuesday-Saturday schedule option the company has in the contract.

I just found the following in the New England supplement
Section 3.
(a) Any employee who is called or reports as scheduled shall be
guaranteed a minimum of eight (8) hours’ work or pay.
(b) All employees required to report on Saturday, as such, shall be
guaranteed a minimum of eight (8) hours’ work at their applicable
premium rate of time and one-half (1-1/2).
Any time worked in
excess of eight (8) hours on Saturday shall be paid for at one and
one-half (1-1/2) times the applicable premium rate

I don't see them making us work Saturdays if they have to pay us OT rate to do so and if we go over 8 hours it's 1.5 times the OT rate.

iruhnman630

It will take a major change in services offered on Saturdays to reach a point where we see a significant move to Tue-Sat workweek.

Having said that, USPS is currently running ads promoting their great new Sunday delivery option.

Overpaid Union Thug

This sounds like an attempt to counter FedEx Ground HD. FedEx is advertising on their website (or were a few days ago) that their ground service is faster to more areas than UPS ground. Their HD service is the primary factor in that because Saturday service is an option where as the same package would sit in a UPS building over the weekend until Monday unless the customer/shipper is willing to pay extra for Saturday delivery. From what I understand HD doesn't deliver on Tuesdays so I'm not sure how they make up for the shortfall that happens when an order is placed and the package is still in transit on a saturday. That could cause the package to be delayed until Tuesday. Well, what happens on Monday? Do they give it to FedEx Ground?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There was a recent thread where someone heard a rumor from a "reliable source" that they were going to start invoking the Tuesday-Saturday schedule option the company has in the contract.

I don't see them making us work Saturdays if they have to pay us OT rate to do so and if we go over 8 hours it's 1.5 times the OT rate.
In this local, we've got T-S drivers already. As a 6th punch, yes it's OT..but T-S is not 1.5x.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are cherry-picking that portion of the supplement that supports your argument. I'll bet if you look further you will find provisions for an alternate work schedule.

iruhnman630

Only drivers hired after 8-1-13 can be forced on a tue-sat schedule I believe.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Not true.

I have worked 4 tue-sat weeks to cover mother's days and a valentines day.

UPS is only required to provide a 5 day week as we so disappointingly found out.

I hope it never becomes a regular thing but I expect it to happen. Not looking forward to needing permission from UPS to do the things I currently enjoy doing on Saturdays.

Saturdays (with rare exceptions) and Sundays belong to me.

iruhnman630

How many think we will be working Saturdays this peak to make sure what happened last Peak doesn't happen again?
If we have dot hours available, I would not be surprised. 6th punch $$$$

Eta...ups is required to post start times the week before, so no 5pm messages on Fri saying we're working Saturday.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You are cherry-picking that portion of the supplement that supports your argument. I'll bet if you look further you will find provisions for an alternate work schedule.

Nope, your rider and supplement has that language that we simply don't have. The following is in the upstate rider and does not exist in NE:
nasup.jpg

The following is in the upstate supplement and does not exist in NE:
e00fvr.jpg

Last edited:

iruhnman630

Remember, if the bid does not specify the work days ups can schedule you any 5 days they please, even Sunday if necessary.

Our current services don't require that, yet. But the industry is changing.

scoutlover

If we have dot hours available, I would not be surprised. 6th punch $$$$

Eta...ups is required to post start times the week before, so no 5pm messages on Fri saying we're working Saturday.
Good luck with that. There were several drivers that were notified at 7:30 pm on a Friday night during peak last year they were being forced to work on the next day. If we didn't show up, they would terminate us under refusal to work. We got diad messages saying this. The union took their side on the issue and we were helpless. After working, 3 of us filed grievances about it. All 3 have disappeared. One of the affected is a steward, and he has spent the last year trying to find out how those grievances got swept under a rug but with no luck.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If we didn't show up, they would terminate us under refusal to work. We got diad messages saying this.
Hilarious. They can't stop you from booking off sick regardless of the day. You could have booked off sick that next day and if they attempted discipline you'd win at panel and they know it.

The union took their side on the issue and we were helpless. After working, 3 of us filed grievances about it. All 3 have disappeared. One of the affected is a steward, and he has spent the last year trying to find out how those grievances got swept under a rug but with no luck.
The local can't refuse to file a grievance, but there is nothing saying they can't later withdraw the grievance if they feel there is not sufficient merit in the grievance. You could always sue the local under their duty of fair representation, but you'd have to prove they didn't fairly represent you.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have been short drivers for Saturday air and they have asked for volunteers, but have to have at least 6 hours available. Last peak, there was not any weeks that I had 5 hours available after Friday. I cannot imagine that this years peak will be any different.