Savannah or St. Augustine?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
So... My wife and I are planning a weekend away, sans children, and she's charged me with choosing the destination.

I'm thinking either Savannah GA or St. Augustine FL. I'm reaching out for ideas on places to stay and things to do that will knock her socks off.

Sent using a Potato

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
St. Augustine. Neat town, great restaurants and bars. The waterfront is awesome, and it has the oldest Catholic church in the new world. If you stay downtown, you can walk everywhere.

I've been through Savannah, but never stayed there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Savannah is not a knock your socks off place.
Beautiful town with good eating (Old Pink House is my fav) along the Riverfront which is a touristy but cool area.
Nice view of bridge at night.
The Historic area is cool. There are over 20 parks/squares which are all pretty (Sherman did not burn Savannah) but it's more about history and architecture.
Bonaventure Cemetery is a great place to experience ... it is a good example of Southern Gothic with a strong hint of Victorian style thrown in.
Nice views of the water from many area.
Wormsloe is a good example of pre-antebellum architecture and a famous overhanging oaks tree road.

I am a photographer so I see Savannah through the eyes of a photographer although I have got wasted there a few times.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Savannah is not a knock your socks off place.
Beautiful town with good eating (Old Pink House is my fav) along the Riverfront which is a touristy but cool area.
Nice view of bridge at night.
The Historic area is cool. There are over 20 parks/squares which are all pretty (Sherman did not burn Savannah) but it's more about history and architecture.
Bonaventure Cemetery is a great place to experience ... it is a good example of Southern Gothic with a strong hint of Victorian style thrown in.
Nice views of the water from many area.
Wormsloe is a good example of pre-antebellum architecture and a famous overhanging oaks tree road.

I am a photographer so I see Savannah through the eyes of a photographer although I have got wasted there a few times.

St. Augustine felt like a small (expensive) town to me. Kind of a friendly vibe.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As a once upon a time, pretty good photographer, St. Augustine would also rate pretty highly.
Hard to believe it but I have never been to St Augustine.
That is why I did not compare the two.
Been to Savannah a couple dozen times.
Savannah has Tybee Island which is not much.
It also has Fort Pulaski which is kinda cool.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

Have you ever been to Charleston, Hoax... ahem, Photog?

Beautiful city, wonderful sites, and great restaurants. That's sort of what I'm looking for, only farther away from home.

Sent using a Potato

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why not Cleveland? We got beer and umm, let me think, it'll come to me, oh yeah, we got beer and more beer.

oldngray

nowhere special
18d046790119dd9b129ee36a90905e43.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

C'mon, tie-die, beard, long hair.

You should fit right in on Tybee!