Save your money for 2013

fairday

Folks start putting your money away now, ups management has got everyone p o throughout labor and supervision. Ibt better step up and get us the kitchen sink in the next contract if we gotta put up this thumb screwing forever. Just hope they are not in bed together.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the ibt is not going to bite the hand that feeds ,organized labor is weaker than ever now

badpal

Folks start putting your money away now, ups management has got everyone p o throughout labor and supervision. Ibt better step up and get us the kitchen sink in the next contract if we gotta put up this thumb screwing forever. Just hope they are not in bed together.
I dont see it happenning those of us who were around in 97 prolly dont want to live thru that again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
the ibt is not going to bite the hand that feeds ,organized labor is weaker than ever now
Basically agree. I see the the Teamsters agreeing to more concessions that will primarily affect future employees (who aren't here yet so they can't vote no). Current employees will be bought off with a raise to keep up with inflation and some increased contributions to the pension funds that are increasingly the only thing we're hanging on for. The company will probably offer to raise the pension payout in the company plan if they think they really need it to ice the deal.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Basically agree. I see the the Teamsters agreeing to more concessions that will primarily affect future employees (who aren't here yet so they can't vote no).

"The Teamsters" are you and I and every other current employee who takes the time to vote on the offer.

If you dont think the offer is fair...vote no and encourage everyone you work with to do the same.

A

anonymous6

Being realistic, it depends on several factors.

In 2 summers if the dow is still at 12000 or below it means one thing.

If the dow is say 14,15000 or more and the company is still averaging a billion in profits every quarter , it means another.

Everyone should have 3-6 months living expenses ( more would be better ) regardless in savings . just common sense.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Being realistic, it depends on several factors.

In 2 summers if the dow is still at 12000 or below it means one thing.

If the dow is say 14,15000 or more and the company is still averaging a billion in profits every quarter , it means another.

Everyone should have 3-6 months living expenses ( more would be better ) regardless in savings . just common sense.

It doesn't matter where the DOW is !
When the recession hit, routes were cut and work/area was added to existing routes. Fine, no one batted an eye.
Now, economy is coming out of it but where are the routes that were cut. THAT'S RIGHT They'd rather have us all do 15-20 more stops a day instead of bringing back FT Union jobs.
They keep on riding us like Grand Canyon mules, 1997 will feel like a picnic !!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"The Teamsters" are you and I and every other current employee who takes the time to vote on the offer.

If you dont think the offer is fair...vote no and encourage everyone you work with to do the same.
I've voted no every time bro (with the exception of the post 1997 strike contract) and I do encourage others to do the same. I think the reality is that in the current climate we will get another contract full of givebacks that will pass without a peep because people are spooked by the economy. I would love to be proven wrong on either count.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This thread reminds me of the old picture I use to see of the REA package car sitting in a field with tall grass and weeds.
The REA union employees did not recognize the economic realities of their time either.

REA Truck.jpg
REA Truck.jpg

A

anonymous6

It doesn't matter where the DOW is !
When the recession hit, routes were cut and work/area was added to existing routes. Fine, no one batted an eye.
Now, economy is coming out of it but where are the routes that were cut. THAT'S RIGHT They'd rather have us all do 15-20 more stops a day instead of bringing back FT Union jobs.
They keep on riding us like Grand Canyon mules, 1997 will feel like a picnic !!

you make a very valid point. since the union is not backing us up the answer is either change leadership or wildcat.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Basically agree. I see the the Teamsters agreeing to more concessions that will primarily affect future employees (who aren't here yet so they can't vote no). Current employees will be bought off with a raise to keep up with inflation and some increased contributions to the pension funds that are increasingly the only thing we're hanging on for. The company will probably offer to raise the pension payout in the company plan if they think they really need it to ice the deal.

^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Re-Raise

I think you are spot on. I feel a two tiered wage scale is a real possibility in our future.

John19841

I think you are spot on. I feel a two tiered wage scale is a real possibility in our future.

A two tiered wage scale would be the worst possible thing we could get in the next contract. Anyone who thinks that it doesn't really matter, because it doesn't effect them (grandfathered in) really needs to get their head out of their ass. Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. Dividing us will only hurt those already there more and more as time goes on. It will have a negative impact in two ways...

First, it will give the company incentive to get rid of us. You think they're making a big deal over every little thing...Wait until they realize they can save thousands per year by replacing you with someone who will never make what you do now.

Second, assuming they do keep us around, raises for us will pretty much become non existent. As more and more people are hired on at the lower wage schedule, our bargaining power (influence) will diminish to the point that they will not need us to vote yes on the contract. They will have no reason to make us happy, and we all know they won't spend unless they absolutely have to.

It doesn't matter what they offer, we can not even think about voting yes to a contract like that. Likewise, the union for their own good too, should not consider it in the negotiating process...

Re-Raise

A two tiered wage scale would be the worst possible thing we could get in the next contract. Anyone who thinks that it doesn't really matter, because it doesn't effect them (grandfathered in) really needs to get their head out of their ass. Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. Dividing us will only hurt those already there more and more as time goes on. It will have a negative impact in two ways...

First, it will give the company incentive to get rid of us. You think they're making a big deal over every little thing...Wait until they realize they can save thousands per year by replacing you with someone who will never make what you do now.

Second, assuming they do keep us around, raises for us will pretty much become non existent. As more and more people are hired on at the lower wage schedule, our bargaining power (influence) will diminish to the point that they will not need us to vote yes on the contract. They will have no reason to make us happy, and we all know they won't spend unless they absolutely have to.

It doesn't matter what they offer, we can not even think about voting yes to a contract like that. Likewise, the union for their own good too, should not consider it in the negotiating process...

I agree with what all of these points. It would definitely put a target on the backs of the higher scale drivers.

klein

Für Meno :)
Air Canada and their union (CAW), has just signed a 2 Tier agreement and are going back to work tomorrow morning.
Wages will stay 1 Tier, but pension for new hirees will be less.

Looks like the new trend ???!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
This thread reminds me of the old picture I use to see of the REA package car sitting in a field with tall grass and weeds.
The REA union employees did not recognize the economic realities of their time either.

View attachment 5401

Having known 2 people who actually worked for REA and both of them agreeeing that it was bad management decissions that was the downfall of that great company, I would dissagree with your statement about REA union employees being their downfall. By they way--- one of the ones who put the blame on bad management decissions was a friend who happened to be the local REA terminal manager. I still remember one of them (a friend who drove for them) telling me UPS wouldn't last because REA had been around too long and was too big to be overtaken. Just saying...............

p.s. around here I don't believe REA was unionized.