Saving Christmas

Babagounj

Strength through joy

One of several issues with this is most ships are to big to use the canal.
Another is there enough railroad capacity to handle the new influx or is FL just going to be used as a parking spot?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Another is there enough railroad capacity to handle the new influx or is FL just going to be used as a parking spot?
“With the new locks, the Panama Canal is able to handle vessels with overall length of 366 m (1201 feet), 49 meters beam (increased by the Canal Authority effective 1 June 2018 to 51.25 meters, to accommodate ships with 20 rows of containers) and 15.2 meters draft, and cargo capacity up to 14,000 twenty-foot equivalent”

PT Car Washer

“With the new locks, the Panama Canal is able to handle vessels with overall length of 366 m (1201 feet), 49 meters beam (increased by the Canal Authority effective 1 June 2018 to 51.25 meters, to accommodate ships with 20 rows of containers) and 15.2 meters draft, and cargo capacity up to 14,000 twenty-foot equivalent”
Yeah retailers are the true meaning of Christmas.

rod

Retired 22 years

Duluth, Mn. could probably handle a few of the medium size cargo ships. They handle 1,000 foot iron oar ships every day. Next year bigger cruise ships are suppose to make their way there.

PT Car Washer

Duluth, Mn. could probably handle a few of the medium size cargo ships. They handle 1,000 foot iron oar ships every day. Next year bigger cruise ships are suppose to make their way there.
How many more months until they shut the lakes down? Called Iron Ore "Boats". Always enjoy visiting Duluth and the North Shore.

Serf

This would be an interesting take. Of course It would get political. Regardless if it works or not. Eff Christmas for retailers. Worry more about things like car tires, diapers for babies, coffee…..

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Screenshot-2021-10-28-212157.png

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This would be an interesting take. Of course It would get political. Regardless if it works or not. Eff Christmas for retailers. Worry more about things like car tires, diapers for babies, coffee…..
I would agree except most retailers rely on the Christmas season to make they’re profit for the year. This is going to stress them even more than they are, some will probably go bankrupt. More drag on the economy. Eventually it will touch everyone.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

My brother works for the South Carolina Port Authority and he was saying this is one of the main issues, as well the price that is charged for a ship to even go through the canal. Then there is also the factor that most ports are shorthanded already. I love DeSantis, but it isn't that easy to just reroute large, overloaded shipping vessels.

vantexan

My brother works for the South Carolina Port Authority and he was saying this is one of the main issues, as well the price that is charged for a ship to even go through the canal. Then there is also the factor that most ports are shorthanded already. I love DeSantis, but it isn't that easy to just reroute large, overloaded shipping vessels.
The Panama Canal can handle a lot of those ships waiting in the Pacific. They recently upgraded their lock system. Probably not the very biggest, but pretty big. Instead of giving a billion dollars to illegals the Biden Administration should pay the fees to get ships through who can get through.