Say goodbye to bottled water and coffee machines

rushfan

In order to reduce operating costs, there's a center in our area that is getting rid of the water cooler (the local water tastes like S%^T). I understand getting rid of the coffee/cocoa machines, but water? I understand the floor mat service (there is a lot of grease that gets tracked into feeder dispatch) too will be canceled.

Yet we have a feeder driver who almost lost a "set" in the local river, he destroyed a tractor when he laid down a triples set (inattentive driving according to the police report), has damaged landing gear beyond repair (dropping the trailers), and the latest he had a roll away which hit a parked passenger truck. All within 4 years. The Union doesn't like him-which would help UPS terminate him. IMHO he has lost more than what it costs for a coffee/cocoa machine. In due time, he'll end up killing someone.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
the contract does say that if the quality of water is not acceptable in the building then the company must provide bottled water IIRC.

JonFrum

ARTICLE 5. SANITARY CONDITIONS
. . .
Where the Employer and the Union agree that the local water is not suitable for drinking, the Employer will provide bottled drinking water.

You can also grieve the removal of coffee machines and such as a violation of both the Maintenance of Standards clause and Past Practice.

What happened to the safety campaign to stay hydrated?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
We have been told that ANYONE who has a vendor contract for servicing UPS whether it be coffee,office supplies,cleaning services,etc....will be scrutinized on whether their services can be pared down or eliminated completely.

One question.....FEDX express driver told me they don't charge customers when they order supplies...do we do the same? or do you see us charging our shippers for ordering supplies? I have no idea if we pass the this cost to the shipper.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ARTICLE 5. SANITARY CONDITIONS
...Where the Employer and the Union agree that the local water is not suitable for drinking, the Employer will provide bottled drinking water.

Heres my prediction;

The company will not "agree" that the local water is unsuitable to drink...

So a grievance will be filed....

And many hours will be spent in meetings to process, argue and debate the merits of the grievance.

The total cost of resolving this grievance will by far exceed the minor expense of simply continuing to provide the bottled water.

Regardless of the outcome...the mid-level management dweeb who came up with this bright idea will justify his continued employment with UPS by pointing to how much money he tried to "save" the company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One question.....FEDX express driver told me they don't charge customers when they order supplies...do we do the same? or do you see us charging our shippers for ordering supplies? I have no idea if we pass the this cost to the shipper.

We do not charge customers with UPS shipper numbers for supplies.

QKRSTKR

We gave up paper towels in the restrooms. Anyone else? Sucks if you want to wash up your arms and legs. Next it'll be toilet paper. They'll tell us hold it till your first stop or wait till you get home. Or bring in some leaves from a tree next time.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
You can also grieve the removal of coffee machines and such as a violation of both the Maintenance of Standards clause and Past Practice.

That was last month...Time to move on to whatever it is this month :happy2:

We gave up paper towels in the restrooms. Anyone else? Sucks if you want to wash up your arms and legs. Next it'll be toilet paper. They'll tell us hold it till your first stop or wait till you get home. Or bring in some leaves from a tree next time.
Can't use leaves from a tree. After all, UPS is going green(Nevermind the fact that they slash and burn a rainforest every time they make us take one of their silly tests/quizzes). We'll just have to recycle toilet paper from home.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Can't use leaves from a tree. After all, UPS is going green(Nevermind the fact that they slash and burn a rainforest every time they make us take one of their silly tests/quizzes). We'll just have to recycle toilet paper from home.

Just use last year's calenders
Some have them left over in their trucks

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In most of our building, we have water coolers and ice machines hooked up to the water lines. With the proper filters, your water quality should not be an issue.

Obviously, the centers have to buy the proper coolers. But in the long run, they dont have to pay 7.99 a bottle that most people pay for the service.

beentheredonethat

I do agree that removing water is pretty shortsighted.
However, it's funny to see a lot of different topics here on browncafe. On this one and many others, folks keep bringing up past practice and how they'll grieve due to past practice. Then on other topics people will be amazed UPS won't do what's in the contract since either it doesn't cost that much, they think we should do it. etc etc. People, this is why UPS is reluctant to give stuff outside of contract, because if for some reason we stop, you grieve it.

BrownArmy

In most of our building, we have water coolers and ice machines hooked up to the water lines. With the proper filters, your water quality should not be an issue.

Obviously, the centers have to buy the proper coolers. But in the long run, they dont have to pay 7.99 a bottle that most people pay for the service.

That sounds a heck of a lot cheaper than bringing in bottled water.

My center has an ice/water machine. The water doesn't taste terrible, but it's not great either...

What happened to the safety campaign to stay hydrated?[/QUOTE]

Bring in your own damn water.

I do agree that removing water is pretty shortsighted.
However, it's funny to see a lot of different topics here on browncafe. On this one and many others, folks keep bringing up past practice and how they'll grieve due to past practice. Then on other topics people will be amazed UPS won't do what's in the contract since either it doesn't cost that much, they think we should do it. etc etc. People, this is why UPS is reluctant to give stuff outside of contract, because if for some reason we stop, you grieve it.

So true, it doesn't pay to go beyond the contract. The company needs to put in a clause stating that employees need to maintain standards above the the contract if the company chooses to eliminate them.