SCAM ALERT: New Jersey UPS driver identified odd Eau Claire package, cash scam averted

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
SCAM ALERT: New Jersey UPS driver identified odd Eau Claire package, cash scam averted - News 8000

A UPS driver in Newark, New Jersey, questioned an odd package sent from Eau Claire, which turned out to be a part of a cash scam.

According to a post on the Eau Claire Police Department’s Facebook page, the driver identified the odd package and worked with Eau Claire authorities to return the funds. The victim was tricked into thinking a relative was in jail and wouldn’t be released until she sent $8400 in cash.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's sad just how gullible some elderly people are. If you are lucky enough to catch some relative falling for this crap it's time to take their finances away. We did it with my mother-in-law when she ordered a couple hundred dollars worth of magazines to supposedly have a better chance of winning the Readers Digest Sweepstakes. Sadly they weren't even magazines she (or anyone else) would enjoy.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
SCAM ALERT: New Jersey UPS driver identified odd Eau Claire package, cash scam averted - News 8000

A UPS driver in Newark, New Jersey, questioned an odd package sent from Eau Claire, which turned out to be a part of a cash scam.

According to a post on the Eau Claire Police Department’s Facebook page, the driver identified the odd package and worked with Eau Claire authorities to return the funds. The victim was tricked into thinking a relative was in jail and wouldn’t be released until she sent $8400 in cash.
Great article! Very informative.

That's why I'm not a reporter, I would have wasted space by identifying the driver. I would have also noted what tipped him off about the package, how he "worked" with the Eau Claire PD, and how they re-connected the victim with her money.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

That's why I'm not a reporter, I would have wasted space by identifying the driver. I would have also noted what tipped him off about the package, how he "worked" with the Eau Claire PD, and how they re-connected the victim with her money.
That would be too much like good news reporting now. I don’t know why they bothered with the article because it was just a repeat of the headline.

rod

Retired 22 years

In my "brief" experience with college life I was studying journalism. The FIRST thing they pounded into your head was when getting a story get the "who, what, when, where and why facts correct". Pretty basic stuff. As with everything now - it is done as shoddy as you can get away with now.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That would be too much like good news reporting now. I don’t know why they bothered with the article because it was just a repeat of the headline.
In my "brief" experience with college life I was studying journalism. The FIRST thing they pounded into your head was when getting a story get the "who, what, when, where and why facts correct". Pretty basic stuff. As with everything now - it is done as shoddy as you can get away with now days.

I expect this kind of stuff from Yah.. not BC or ABC. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: