Scanning the truck

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
My sup told me it was to check for misloads, see if drivers are telling the truth when they say something is missing. Our p/t sups just started doing about a month ago.

thebrownbox

It is a check on the driver.

Ah Ok.. I can understand now.. the person across the belt I would always see him swap boxes with the truck beside him and next day in the morning the loader would always have a misload.

I know I had a problem with that before but then they moved the guy to another belt...

no misloads since he has left.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
sometimes the supervisors scan the actual packages that make it into said truck. they say it is to make sure the driver scans all packages when delivering.

Service Failure

Yeah, i used to think they were scanning it because i was misloading but when i asked it was because my driver was missing scans quite often and told them that they can scan his truck everyday if they wanted to. They took him up on that offer. It's kind of annoying since they are in your way the whole time and you can't really load around them while they are scanning.

rocket man

Guys and gals always remember ! They can scan it all the whole car. senario. THey load scan they go to next car. IF they do not seal close doors back and bulk head. they have no case car was not secure. I DONT no where that npackage went.:surprised:

55andout?

Guys and gals always remember ! They can scan it all the whole car. senario. THey load scan they go to next car. IF they do not seal close doors back and bulk head. they have no case car was not secure. I DONT no where that npackage went.:surprised:
I know where it went, you gave it away without scanning it. The only real defense a driver may have is if the package that was scanned in the car was a misload. If this is the case the driver may have taken it out of his car before he left the building and the package never was scanned by anyone else. This is rare. Really the only one who needs to worry about the scan check is the one who is not doing his job.

outta hours

"Let he who hath no missed scans throw the first package".

Man you guy's need to lay off the Hateraide. I'm not saying to help the guy get out of trouble for not scanning pkgs. Just let him know he is being watched. We all make mistakes it happens. Maybe the "extra attention" will help him focus on scanning and improve his frequency.

mikestrek

"Let he who hath no missed scans throw the first package".

Man you guy's need to lay off the Hateraide. I'm not saying to help the guy get out of trouble for not scanning pkgs. Just let him know he is being watched. We all make mistakes it happens. Maybe the "extra attention" will help him focus on scanning and improve his frequency.
LOL :wink2: You da man.

TSup

What's the point in scanning them when they have already been scanned by PAS?

As stated above, even if it gets scanned in PAS, that doesn't mean the Preloader put it in the correct truck. This is probably a driver who is having Delivery Scan problems all the time, and they are auditing his truck as a catch-all.

Our drivers must call in every missing package, we visit many of those accounts, and 75% of the time find the package they claim was not there. Often the driver scans an old label and misses the correct one. So they count 10 packages, EDD says 10, but one still shows in EDD as not delivered or missing.

Mike Hawk

If the system is designed to catch a driver missing one or two packages than I could see it working, but I got the impression it was to catch drivers missing a lot more, which would be evident by looking at what got scanned by PAS. Also they guy that does it at our building does it about half way through, and even then goes through quickly scanning only what has the label easily visible (not bulk stops).

PS bonus question!(you seem to be in the know about computer tech.) Since (almost)every package in a trailer has been scanned and linked to the trailer, why isn't that data sent to the center it's going to so they know exactly what is coming? All our trailers are at the building by 6:00 which means they had to have left the hub before 5:00. If every split was done at 5:00, like cutting routes in/out the preload would wrap up much faster. The earlier the splits are done the less packages have to be moved by hand, the future packages in the splits get SPA'd to the right truck. It looks like a software issue, so they can have TSG or w/e do it and it would just cost hours, not any actual facility expansion.

Last edited:

TSup

Since (almost)every package in a trailer has been scanned and linked to the trailer, why isn't that data sent to the center it's going to so they know exactly what is coming? All our trailers are at the building by 6:00 which means they had to have left the hub before 5:00. If every split was done at 5:00, like cutting routes in/out the preload would wrap up much faster. The earlier the splits are done the less packages have to be moved by hand, the future packages in the splits get SPA'd to the right truck. It looks like a software issue, so they can have TSG or w/e do it and it would just cost hours, not any actual facility expansion.

Yes we do know how many pieces are in a trailer because the tracking numbers are scanned on the origin side(at least most). The difference, is that we only know about the shipping information if the shipper uploads his/her information. Also important is ASD, and SRM sheets that are pulled by drivers at pickup. If you pull a shippers sheets (from blue book) and forget to turn them in that night, suddenly anything in the 1 day territory will be unknown to the receiving centers. Many may not know, but each one of the sheets is keyed in after they are electronically scanned into a system. So making sure ASD's and SRM's are legible and turned in each day is very important. This is also why it is so important for shippers to properly do an end of day on Online systems. When they do an end of day that info is basically sent to UPS's servers and available later on. I can run bulk reports up to 5 days out and see large stops I will get in the future. So when we dispatch we use and average growth rate for that day when planning. In our center it is usually 3-7%. Problem is it doesn't fall evenly on each driver each day. Also things that can destroy dispatch is situations like the flooding in IL, IA that caused CACH to run 100's of loads behind for many days. Then it's like chucking darts to guess what to plan for. Hope this helps.....

Last edited:

nobber

Its called a scan check. Hoping to improve missing delivery scans. We come and go with this. Like most things we do

Mike Hawk

Yes we do know how many pieces are in a trailer because the tracking numbers are scanned on the origin side(at least most). The difference, is that we only know about the shipping information if the shipper uploads his/her information. Also important is ASD, and SRM sheets that are pulled by drivers at pickup. If you pull a shippers sheets (from blue book) and forget to turn them in that night, suddenly anything in the 1 day territory will be unknown to the receiving centers. Many may not know, but each one of the sheets is keyed in after they are electronically scanned into a system. So making sure ASD's and SRM's are legible and turned in each day is very important. This is also why it is so important for shippers to properly do an end of day on Online systems. When they do an end of day that info is basically sent to UPS's servers and available later on. I can run bulk reports up to 5 days out and see large stops I will get in the future. So when we dispatch we use and average growth rate for that day when planning. In our center it is usually 3-7%. Problem is it doesn't fall evenly on each driver each day. Also things that can destroy dispatch is situations like the flooding in IL, IA that caused CACH to run 100's of loads behind for many days. Then it's like chucking darts to guess what to plan for. Hope this helps.....

Perhaps UPS should set up DECAP(not sure if it's the correct term, where you manually type in the address in the "package" program) at the origin hubs, it's gotta be done somewhere and the more consolidated it is the more efficient it would be, also the centers would have much more accurate info on their day long before the unload finishes.

PS "HD maintenance" is a large UPS shipper and their packages almost never have the address info linked, they have to be entered by hand. Why don't they have an end of day report?

PPS I was told the dartboard method was just for doing splits, it is the whole dispatch now?
:happy-very: