Scheduled draft

DeliveryException

Our station(Express) is going to start scheduling the draft list instead of using the list. Has this started anywhere else? I don't see how this is going to work out well at all. I don't know the ins and outs yet but I suppose if you don't get used the day you are scheduled you roll to the next day.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Draft list?
Every employee's name is written on separate little strips of paper, which are then put in a shoe box and shaken vigorously by the senior manager. He then balances the box on top of his head, whereby the ops managers commence to take turns removing the strips of paper one by one from the box and reading off the lucky lottery winners' names through a huge purple megaphone while wearing bright orange, 3 ft. tall pope-style hats.

It's a fair and balanced way of doing it, promotes esprit de corps amongst the troops, and everyone has copious amounts of fun.

!Retired!

Never fails to see the PP message "If we don't get enough volunteers for Sat we'll have to use the draft (force) list" on a Friday afternoon when you're almost done for the day
Not sure exactly how the policy reads. But, you must be give at least 24 hours notice.

McFeely

Huge Member
Never fails to see the PP message "If we don't get enough volunteers for Sat we'll have to use the draft (force) list" on a Friday afternoon when you're almost done for the day

I'm generally not one to call in sick, but I just might be ill on a Saturday morning if they pulled this stunt on me on a Friday afternoon.

I'm curious if the policy does state 24-hour notification is required.

Oldfart

We always have way more people sign up to work Saturday than needed. Guess that is a benefit of working at a larger station.

Sparky

My old station ran a draft list but it was written down and based on seniority and they just went down the list until the end and started over.

Serf

We have a reverse seniority list for any "operational need" that arises. Hence, if you're low on the totem pole and FT, you'll be working.

MassWineGuy

I've never seen this used at my station. If they tried forcing me to work if I didn't want to, I'd just say that I have a medical test scheduled. That's one advantage of beating cancer.

dezguy

I still don't see how they can force you to work on a day off. I have never seen that happen any station I've worked at up here.

The rule here is, they can force you to work one extra hour a day as ft but I've never heard of a forced day on your day off. Something like that would start a war at my station. I honestly can't think of anyone who would put up with it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I still don't see how they can force you to work on a day off. I have never seen that happen any station I've worked at up here.

The rule here is, they can force you to work one extra hour a day as ft but I've never heard of a forced day on your day off. Something like that would start a war at my station. I honestly can't think of anyone who would put up with it.
The only draft lists I know about are to force people to work splits. Unless other stations also use theirs for Saturdays.

Rhoderunner

My station has in the past used them for pickup route coverage and Saturdays both. As described earlier it goes reverse seniority up the list to the top then starts over again. The only advantage is you will usually have a few days advance notice to plan your excuse.