school delivery

kobe144st

I'm a driver for the NYC metro area. I'm having an issue with public schools. If someone can inform what the rule is for delivering in schools as to wheather or not i have to bring the work to the floor level the school is on or if there is supoosed to be an area where i can leave the pkgs. My main concern is that they ask me to bring their packages to the third,fourth,or fifth floors with no elevators in the building. I feel It is dangerous for myself and the students around Me whIle im working in yhe schools. Please inform me of the rule so I can inform my fellow driver.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I wouldn't think there's a written "rule" for it, but if the entire building is the school, it's not like the different floors are separate consignees. I'd find a back door or maintenance bay and leave everything with them.

I have a place I deliver to where there's different suites but the one suite expects me to hunt down each individual person the packages are addressed to. I told them to sign or stick it.

ArcherUTR

Communicate with the office and ask them where their one delivery location is. Explain that you are trained to deliver to the same spot everyday to avoid missed service and lost packages. If that happens to be on the 5th floor, sorry. Ask where the service elevator is.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most schools will have a designated delivery location like the office. If they get a lot you may be able to work out an easier delivery point. Every school is different.

Foamer Pyle

We don't have any multi floor schools around here. However, in my 26 years of delivering to schools, the delivery point has always been the office, or the maintenance area. I have no problem telling a customer that I will not cart packages around to different areas, that's their responsibility.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Most schools will have a designated delivery location like the office. If they get a lot you may be able to work out an easier delivery point. Every school is different.
Every school I have ever delivered to takes everything at the office.

Granted these aren't the size of NYC public school.

BrownTexas

I've had this issue before. School received 25 boxes of paper. The proceeded to tell me," 5 go here. 5 go to the room over there. 5 to the copy room, etc." I kindly told them," Sorry ma'am/sir. Ups policy is to deliver all packages to one delivery point. I'd love to help you out but I know my management team is going to threaten me with discipline if I do what your asking." Left all boxes outside of office and rolled out.

MendozaJ

They found someone that is willing to do the job for them. It's up to you to stop it. Touch base with management so they know to expect a call. If they do call management, contact the Board of Ed and express concern over the lax security where anyone with a box can roam the halls.

UPSGUY72

Find the main office or the maintenance office and make your deliveries there. If they start telling you that that need to bring a specific package to a specific department politely tell them that not how it works there is one delivery point and everything gets delivered at that location. If they still give you a hard time and won't sign for them tell them you understand that they are refusing the packages and that you'll return the packages to the sender. If you let them customers will walk all over you because that less work they have to do.

Have you run this buy your SUP or other people that have run that route to see what they real deal is with these deliveries that are giving you a hard time????

rod

Retired 22 years
Schools can be tough. For some reason "school people" don't have much common sense. They live in their own little world. Trying to reason with Ms. Cratchity who has worked in the office since 1942 is like trying to reason with a center manager. I always had my best luck explaining the situation to the principal of the school--------either that or deliver to the janitors room---they are always hiding out there.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I got along great with the elementary school I delivered to. It was actually near the end of my day. I delivered to the office, and sometimes I'd get there late and the doors would be locked. I'd bang on the metal doors with my pocket knife till a custodian heard me, and they would even sign. Every once in a while they would get packages during spring break or even in the summer, and I delivered them to the principal's residence, who just happened to live on my area.

kobe144st

It's different schools on each floors it's hard trying to get a signature for high level floors because they want me to bring it up...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
For the most part,ups is a door to door p/u and delivery.we don't stock customers shelves.
Not for the most part, we are a front door delivery company.

Office buildings are different. Separate businesses. We are paid to deliver to each separate business. To their front door or receiving area.

A school is one business. We deliver everything to one location. To the office or other specifies receiving location.

Do you think this school would even think about asking the mailman to deliver to separate office in this school? We are the same. One location.

I have, on ocassion, helped them out by carting the copy paper to the copy room. It was usually just right next to the office.