Schools = prison?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This over protection at schools is getting out of Hand. I had to sign in grab a visitor pass and sign out to use a bathroom 10 ft away.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This over protection at schools is getting out of Hand. I had to sign in grab a visitor pass and sign out to use a bathroom 10 ft away.
That's the way it's been at public schools here for at least 20 years. While it may not be convenient, do we really want random people wandering into school bathrooms. I get that the uniform should clearly indicate that you're not just some random person, but the protocol is justified if you think about it.

Sign in and out. Not quite as bad as working at UPS, I've gotta empty my pockets, go through metal detectors and open my bag or cooler. And that's just to get in, add on taking off your hat, belt, and shoes to get out. Sometimes I feel like I work at a prison....

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's the way it's been at public schools here for at least 20 years. While it may not be convenient, do we really want random people wandering into school bathrooms. I get that the uniform should clearly indicate that you're not just some random person, but the protocol is justified if you think about it.

Sign in and out. Not quite as bad as working at UPS, I've gotta empty my pockets, go through metal detectors and open my bag or cooler. And that's just to get in, add on taking off your hat, belt, and shoes to get out. Sometimes I feel like I work at a prison....
That's not to mention the haughtiness/arrogance and controlling mentality of operations supervisors and management (Aka guards) ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I deliver to 3 public schools. Each of them has controlled entry. Once in I have to go directly to the office----they don't want me or anyone else wandering the halls. Of the 3 schools only 1 would be a convenient place to use the rest room----I am already in the controlled area and the rest rooms are 20' or so from the main office. I try not to use the rest rooms at any of the schools.

Brownslave688

Here is the thing if I'm going to kidnap a kid or shoot up the place I'm not going to friend'ng sign in. There is already a camera with a buzzer outside to let me in. How many schools are shot up buy strangers no one knows? If a crazed looney wants to kill people they will. The windows aren't bullet proof u could take out plenty of people with out ever stepping foot in the school.

There is one way to keep these things from happening. Put a large fence around all schools and u must pass thru a metal detector to get in. Aka make it a prison. Me I would never want that for my kids. By being so overprotective with our children we are creating very weak minded young adults who have no idea what the real world is like.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"The same argument could be made for "participation awards" and sports in which they don't keep score...." (Dave)

You posted this statement, and it reminded me of undeserved awards which is what participation awards are to me. It's your statement I was commenting on.......So you can comment on participation awards under the School=Prison thread, but I can't ?
Undeserved awards only makes me think of the pres.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My comment was in reference to the one made by Brownslave in which he said that our children will not be ready for the real world. "Participation awards" and sports in which they don't keep score don't teach kids the value of competition. Yes, there are "winners" and "losers", whether in sports, the debate team or, more importantly, in real life.

Your comment was yet another in an endless list revealing your utter and complete disdain about anything related to Obama. There was no relevance to the discussion on hand.

Brownslave688

Non competitive sports? What's that? Lol. My wife and I almost didn't married over a "friendly" game of air hockey before the movies. In my defense I told her not to talk **** until it was over. I win far more often than I lose.

​T ball around here u bat around every inning no one gets out and they all get to run all the way around the bases. What's the point? I can teach my kid far more in the back yard.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My comment was in reference to the one made by Brownslave in which he said that our children will not be ready for the real world. "Participation awards" and sports in which they don't keep score don't teach kids the value of competition. Yes, there are "winners" and "losers", whether in sports, the debate team or, more importantly, in real life.

Your comment was yet another in an endless list revealing your utter and complete disdain about anything related to Obama. There was no relevance to the discussion on hand.
I guess relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Getting something for nothing....like trophies for the losers......is exactly what my example shows. The Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing!!!...That's not a real life example for kids either. So my point IS relevant.....maybe you don't like my example....too bad!

wkmac

Moreluck verses Upstate or Upstate verses Moreluck.

The stars and planets have re-aligned and all is back to normal at BC. Does this leave RoadRunner odd man out or will this become a 3 some?