Scratch by June

menotyou

bella amicizia
Re: Loyalty is Laid to Rest; Grave is Next to Partnership’s; RIP My Old Friends

Scratch by June...baahaahaa
I'll be scratching the sand off my butt when I'm hitting the beach. I'm trying to find the silver lining of being on comp. :winks:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

This is my first ever post on the Brown Cafe....hello everyone. I just wanted to let you that you should KEEP posting your concerns about the new pay plan. Corporate is reading your posts. They monitor this website regularly. I can't say if they will make any changes but keep letting them know your dissatifcation with it.

Encourage your fellow UPSers to sign up and post as well. There is much concern about an unhappy frontline management team as we move into negotiations with the Teamsters. They know they need you to get the 2013 contract ratified.

We should tell Atlanta if they want us to do anything other then the bare minimum they should reconsider giving salary increases to all the loyal UPS management people they screwed. They should also improve management working conditions. Stop asking us to do the impossible, (scratch by June) stop abusing us, stop reducing management staffing, stop retaliating against us for voicing concerns, stop working us 12 to 15 hours a day with no lunch or breaks. Start being fair astart promotions, start treating us with respect! Life since "Transformation" has been miserable. Now is the time for our management team to stand up and tell Atlanta the enough is enough.

What was it ?

This is the context.
I think you can take it from here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

why do you laugh dragon, per ups methods every route should be able to scratch doing all of the ie ups proper methods, and you dont have to be the fastest driver either..its all based off an average meaning that the folks in the bottom part of the average should still be running right around scratch and the faster ones making some bonus. And with all of the excellent tools like keyless entry and EDD, it makes running "scratch" that much easier. I mean if a sup can go out on a route cold with a hub worker or new hire and run scratch never being out on an area before the regulars who do the route should be at a bonus level...right. Even though I have heard center managers go out on routes and complain on how that route could be "so overallowed"...I believe it wasnt in my place to tell him that if he was doing all of the proper methods that the route could indeed be run scratch.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

why do you laugh dragon, per ups methods every route should be able to scratch doing all of the ie ups proper methods, and you dont have to be the fastest driver either..its all based off an average meaning that the folks in the bottom part of the average should still be running right around scratch and the faster ones making some bonus. And with all of the excellent tools like keyless entry and EDD, it makes running "scratch" that much easier. I mean if a sup can go out on a route cold with a hub worker or new hire and run scratch never being out on an area before the regulars who do the route should be at a bonus level...right. Even though I have heard center managers go out on routes and complain on how that route could be "so overallowed"...I believe it wasnt in my place to tell him that if he was doing all of the proper methods that the route could indeed be run scratch.

This is just one way I can tell a driver is overallowed :

At the drivers first stop, customer tells me the driver is a great guy/gal....

I have never had a customer tell me that the driver has too much work or I am working them to hard, hmmmm go figure...

We may not get to scratch but we might see it in the distance...:bag:

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I have never had a customer tell me that the driver has too much work or I am working them to hard, hmmmm go figure...

I really doubt that most drivers complain about ups politics to their customers. If I had a dollar for every time I showed up at my first stop and the truck was so packed that I had to ask the customer to help lift the door because the load had fallen against the door. Or how many customers have commented on how crappy my load is and how I would ever find anything in that mess. If there was an outside company that could come in and do their "own" time study in the working condition of my route, with all variables that I come in contact with each day I would have no problem with running scratch because I would bet the bank that most drivers would see considerable time given to their routes that they dont have a chance in he!! of getting through a ups standard in 2012.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

You were the one laughing at the scratch thing....right.

tourists24

Waaaaaayyyyyyy in the distance

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Bring it..just get some outside entity to do their own studies route specific..not the "average" that is in play now...most would gain good time

DS

Fenderbender

You speak as from behind a desk somewhere in Atlanta.
There are far too many variables that you have failed to include.
Load quality,misloads,and overdispatching,make the methods next to useless.
How can you explain 1.50 over with a sup with me all day saying I had great methods?
Hmmm maybe it's reality.

tourists24

Bring it..just get some outside entity to do their own studies route specific..not the "average" that is in play now...most would gain good time
We dont need an outside entity.... they cannot get your job for going too overallowed.... they can play the games with you but so what

Coldworld

60 months and counting

We dont need an outside entity.... they cannot get your job for going too overallowed.... they can play the games with you but so what

Im just saying that if an outside company went out and timed us and everything we did we would probably gain time..not like that would EVER happen in 100 years since ups has a world class IE department that has won numerous awards and are top in their field...ok im starting to sound like the upstate guy.

menotyou

bella amicizia

True enough except for the "raise" comment....Davis and the rest got a raise while you matched inflation. and stayed flat. I suggest people consider the time value of money and go to an inflation calculator. The sad fact is that most management will be taking a yearly pay cut. While you are at the inflation calculator and plugging in your pay do the same with the stock price, house prices, college costs etc....You will easily see why the old time ups management loved ups. There is an incredible negetive difference between the two companies of United Parcel Service and ups. At what pay grade are you a partner ? It will be interesting to see what the union people at ups will negotiate in their next contracts, The money will be coming from the no "raises" of certain levels of management. Thats a weird partnership.
The money will come from the record profits Scotty is making for us. Just because Scott has screwed management, doesn't mean we should allow him to screw us.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The money will come from the record profits Scotty is making for us. Just because Scott has screwed management, doesn't mean we should allow him to screw us.

It's not record profits. The profits have never recovered to the pre-2007 levels.

This sounds a bit like the Obamanites saying "The rich need to pay their fair share."

Just curious, "What is the total Union employees' Fair Share?"
Whatever that fair share is has to be split up amongst all Union employees.
I think that is the poster to whom you replied was speaking to this aspect of contract negotiations.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I don't think anything should be taken from management. I don't think anything should be taken from us, either. I see my 'fair share' every time I get an x-ray and see the drywall screws and piano hinges on either side of my esophagus. We pay with our bodies, also. I would love to find a way to calculate that factor. As far as negotiations, I think those in management that have this need to stop the us vs them attitude. When negotiating, we are trying to get what we think we should have. I wish someone could explain why that is a bad thing?

curiousbrain

[...] When negotiating, we are trying to get what we think we should have. I wish someone could explain why that is a bad thing?

There's nothing "bad" about it, in an absolute sense. And, this is just my opinion, obviously, but ...

... as far as I can tell, "might makes right" in the world that we live in, and, as an extension, at UPS. What you and others think they deserve is irrelevant, in some sense - it is only what you can get; and, it works the other way - what UPS thinks, as an entity, it deserves, is irrelevant - it is only what it can get. In that sense, what "is right" is an ethereal target that never really materializes, except in brief moments of contract agreement; after that, for UPS it becomes what can we get away with, and for the union it becomes what can we enforce.

It is for smarter people than me to decide whether this is a good state of affairs or not, and if contract agreements should be concrete or fluid after the fact, but when faced with the overwhelming "dog eat dog" world of self interest that we all live in, I think this is the best we can hope for.