screwed or off today?

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
We we're pretty light for the past few days here in Ottawa but Thursday/Friday with the US standard shipments that are gonna be coming through.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I realize 8 hour requests are in our contract, but i can't stand them. Whenever someone in my area has one, like yesterday, it only screws the other drivers. It turns a 9 hour day into a 10 hour day.
Or, like yesterday, a 10 hour day into a 11 hour day. All because a driver knows the volume is going to be heavy, not because his kid has a game or recital or something legit that will make me feel better about carrying so much of his work.
He's probably drinking a beer while i have 50 stops to go.

8 hour requests are in the contract for a reason.

browniehound

I realize 8 hour requests are in our contract, but i can't stand them. Whenever someone in my area has one, like yesterday, it only screws the other drivers. It turns a 9 hour day into a 10 hour day.
Or, like yesterday, a 10 hour day into a 11 hour day. All because a driver knows the volume is going to be heavy, not because his kid has a game or recital or something legit that will make me feel better about carrying so much of his work.
He's probably drinking a beer while i have 50 stops to go.

I was thinking the same thing and was not going to post anything about it, but since someone already did, i'll chime in. I understand its our contractual right, but come on guys. All you're doing is screwing you fellow drivers. When I signed up for UPS there was no 8 hour letters. I go into every week with the assumption that I will have to work until 8PM every night. I think I put in 1 8 hour letter since 2002 and will probably not put another one in, ever. 8 hours does nothing for me. 545 is 8 hours for me and by the time I get home through the traffic its 715-too late to meet normal people. All this does is give the guy next to me an 11 hour day. Why would any of us do this to our fellow drivers? If I have something to do I just take the day off.

I know its in the contract but under the common courtesy rules it doesn't jive. You just shouldn't do that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing and was not going to post anything about it, but since someone already did, i'll chime in. I understand its our contractual right, but come on guys. All you're doing is screwing you fellow drivers. When I signed up for UPS there was no 8 hour letters. I go into every week with the assumption that I will have to work until 8PM every night. I think I put in 1 8 hour letter since 2002 and will probably not put another one in, ever. 8 hours does nothing for me. 545 is 8 hours for me and by the time I get home through the traffic its 715-too late to meet normal people. All this does is give the guy next to me an 11 hour day. Why would any of us do this to our fellow drivers? If I have something to do I just take the day off.

I know its in the contract but under the common courtesy rules it doesn't jive. You just shouldn't do that.

Every driver is allowed two requests per month. If you are in a small center, say 40 trips per day, if every driver requested his two per month, that would be four drivers each working day. Between this and 9.5 filings, don't you think more routes would have to be added?

Re-Raise

Every driver is allowed two requests per month. If you are in a small center, say 40 trips per day, if every driver requested his two per month, that would be four drivers each working day. Between this and 9.5 filings, don't you think more routes would have to be added?

Did you just ask that question with a straight face?

I am on the side that it only screws the guys in your loop. They don't add routes in my center, they just send the routes around the 8 hr request out heavier.

I just try to get off work early enough to catch the last couple innings of my girl's games on the radio on the way home.

bumped

I get 3 per month and take everyone of them. I take them whether I have something going on or not. I have small kids and they're still in bed or just waking up when I leave in the morning. Also, there are way too many nights that they're in bed before I come home. I'm taking my 3 just like everyone else in my center gets. I don't care if they take them or for what reasons they take them for.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I get 3 per month and take everyone of them. I take them whether I have something going on or not. I have small kids and they're still in bed or just waking up when I leave in the morning. Also, there are way too many nights that they're in bed before I come home. I'm taking my 3 just like everyone else in my center gets. I don't care if they take them or for what reasons they take them for.
exactly I never understood getting mad at someone for taking them we all get them

Re-Raise

We have a few drivers that take them and then pad their miles to get a little over 8.5 and then put in a couple more. They are the same drivers that call in sick a lot.

I show up and have to take on the extra work. I know I get paid by the hour, and my financial situation is a lot better than theirs, but it still gets a little annoying.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
everyone in my loop takes their 2 alloted 8 hour requests per month,and most are on the 9.5 list. Those who,for whatever reason are not on the list work alot of late days. I have 2 days i like to take for my 8 hour requests each month,but if one of the younger guys needs that day I'm flexible,and will take another day. It's not selfish at all, and IMO it would be stupid to not take the 8 hour requests we are entitled to

DS

Fenderbender
Your contract is so complicated.We have no 8hr requests,or 9.5 language.It's like Canada is a completely different country.
Your top rate is almost $3.00 more than we make,but we do the same job.We had a light day today because of your holiday.
They let guys go home,cut routes and stuff.I was lucky,had my minimum 74 del stops,and got in just under 9.5.
All I know is we get 30 cents every 6 months for 6 years.Our union is pretty useless here,they like the dues,but drag their feet when it comes to helping us when mngmt goes too far.Just like there,the worst part of the day is listening to the crap at the pcm ,after that,at least you get to do the near impossible every day on your own.

Re-Raise

everyone in my loop takes their 2 alloted 8 hour requests per month,and most are on the 9.5 list. Those who,for whatever reason are not on the list work alot of late days. I have 2 days i like to take for my 8 hour requests each month,but if one of the younger guys needs that day I'm flexible,and will take another day. It's not selfish at all, and IMO it would be stupid to not take the 8 hour requests we are entitled to

If they work over 8.5 and their dispatch is over 8.5 do they feel they are entitled to another 8 hr request?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If they work over 8.5 and their dispatch is over 8.5 do they feel they are entitled to another 8 hr request?

no,but the grievance for 2 hours of straight time pay softens the blow.

after filing 4 last year (and won every one of 'em) for not honoring my requests I never to seem to be OD on my 8 hours requests now

UPSmeoff

This is the case in my ctr. As somebody else said earlier, they will drag out a 7.85 plan day to over 8.5 just to put another 8 hr in for next Friday.

I understand why it's in the contract. I just don't like it very much. Probably because i don't use them.

But then again. There is a lot i don't like.