Searching for Trailer mechanic daily duties/routine.

Ace2169

Greetings to all. I am Seriously concidering joining the team. I been a trailer mechanic for 10+ yrs with tractor experience.. I am wondering as a trailer mechanic at UPS what is it like in daily? Is it some what laid back or hammer and nails?
Specifically at the Palatine IL, Hodkins IL, & Addison IL, or anywhere else helps... Thank you.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Most like to work nights ,, will be doing brake tire light repairs , a lot of pmi work and will be pre tripping air port trailers daily

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Greetings to all. I am Seriously concidering joining the team. I been a trailer mechanic for 10+ yrs with tractor experience.. I am wondering as a trailer mechanic at UPS what is it like in daily? Is it some what laid back or hammer and nails?
Specifically at the Palatine IL, Hodkins IL, & Addison IL, or anywhere else helps... Thank you.
Well Hodgkins only has tractor-trailers there, with separate tractor and trailer shops. I'm pretty sure the "trailer" mechanics are paid less. As far as Addison & Palatine, most likely you would have to start by primarily working on the step vans on an overnight shift, only doing minor, quick repairs as needed on the tractor-trailers. Does your experience include pups/dollies for doubles?

The mechanics are in IAM (mechanics) Local 701. I think once you get hired, you can bid into vacant positions in any of the other buildings (by seniority) like Franklin Park, Northbrook, Bedford Park, and downtown Chicago. Any questions you have that aren't answered in a help-wanted listing or HR, you might want to call the union office in Countryside and ask. They also have a website.

Ace2169

Thanks for the input Cove. How about repairs likes Landing .leg replacement, broken door panels, excessive exterior body damages handled? Im use to doing Everything here!

Ace2169

Well Hodgkins only has tractor-trailers there, with separate tractor and trailer shops. I'm pretty sure the "trailer" mechanics are paid less. As far as Addison & Palatine, most likely you would have to start by primarily working on the step vans on an overnight shift, only doing minor, quick repairs as needed on the tractor-trailers. Does your experience include pups/dollies for doubles?

The mechanics are in IAM (mechanics) Local 701. I think once you get hired, you can bid into vacant positions in any of the other buildings (by seniority) like Franklin Park, Northbrook, Bedford Park, and downtown Chicago. Any questions you have that aren't answered in a help-wanted listing or HR, you might want to call the union office in Countryside and ask. They also have a website.

Lots of dolly work. Pmi, 5th wheel rebuild, bushings,alignment, Everything, Except certifiable welding.
Also Experienced with Anthony and Maxon liftgates. Rail lifts and tuck away. Service ThermoKing and Carrier heater units seasonaly.

*If i may, can i ask the ultimate question... How much does a trailer mechanic with 10yrs experience
starting pay at? At Palatine,addison,or hodkins.

Ace2169

Wow, sounds like "the grass Is greener on side".. Everything sounds great. Is there anything that any one would say is negative about there job??
I trust it wont be any worst than what im use to here..

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Wow, sounds like "the grass Is greener on side".. Everything sounds great. Is there anything that any one would say is negative about there job??
I trust it wont be any worst than what im use to here..
it depends on what kind of boss you get. at our hub the trailer guys have a quota on so many inspections/pmi they do a month. not sure if that is everywhere.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Trailer mechanics are paid 85% of power mechanics. Upside is that the hours of the day are way better and allow you to still live like a normal human being. When I was I that position, first item of business was to select and thoroughly pretrip a set of 28 footers to run to Denver. After that, it was all PMI and repairs. Start at 1pm and leave at 9:30.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Thanks for the input Cove. How about repairs likes Landing .leg replacement, broken door panels, excessive exterior body damages handled? Im use to doing Everything here!
Leg replacements are done in house (or at least they were). More serious things like hanger replacement or body work is farmed out. Thank God there are no more hydraulic landing legs and the old 28 foot drop-floors any more. Big PITA when they were so old at the time.

Ace2169

Trailer mechanics are paid 85% of power mechanics. Upside is that the hours of the day are way better and allow you to still live like a normal human being. When I was I that position, first item of business was to select and thoroughly pretrip a set of 28 footers to run to Denver. After that, it was all PMI and repairs. Start at 1pm and leave at 9:30.
Can i ask if the start pay is close to 26$.. ?? After all, my family and I have to beable to afford the transition.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
If it's IAM, it should be in that range after a year. Can't remember how it really should be before that because I reached seniority at the same time as the new contract changed the percentages for new hires. 80% of that 85% of power maybe?

Gear

Parts on Order
In Mid Atlantic trailer guys start off at $19 an hour. Have a 1 year progession to top rate which is 85% of top rate. That would put trailer top rate at around 29.50.

Your years of experience will help you get the job, it will not effect your starting wage. Everyone starts at the starting wage. Mechanic here start at 21.92. So if you were under the Mid Atlantic Agreement you would start at 19.

Ace2169

Thank you everyone for your for your input. It greatly appreciated! ...
i Dont know much about the whole "Union" thing. all this talk about Contract and things goes over my head.
Over Here, saying the word "union" is not allowed. Its like saying Bomb! on a plane.
I was wondering do you all like it?? If not whats not so good about it?

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Thank you everyone for your for your input. It greatly appreciated! ...
i Dont know much about the whole "Union" thing. all this talk about Contract and things goes over my head.
Over Here, saying the word "union" is not allowed. Its like saying Bomb! on a plane.
I was wondering do you all like it?? If not what sucks about it?
Well, I'm pretty sure the wages and benefits are better than you get as a non-union trailer mechanic. Do you even get benefits? Do you have any idea of if or when you will get a raise? The union mechanics know, it's in their contract. If you do have benefits, do you know if the cost is going to go up or the benefits decreased? The union mechanics know, it's in their contract. If there is a different shift or job site to work at; do you have the opportunity to bid on it by seniority, or does it go to the best brown nosed butt kisser? If you get hurt on or off the job, are you depending on the good will of your employer and how good of a lawyer you can afford, or is there an additional layer of help with things like disability insurance and protection of seniority rights? How about saving for retirement? Do you know what a pension is? Local 701 members get 2 pensions (their pension contributions are split between the National fund and their Local fund).

What sucks about it? Well besides the fact that you pay union dues (which should be more than offset by the better wages and benefits), it might occasionally require some additional effort on your part. If the boss wants to cut your wages/benefits/etc, you might have to file a grievance, or stand in solidarity with your coworkers. You might want to attend a union meeting, to see how your union leaders conduct themselves and the business of the union (paid for by your dues).