Seasonal driver first day alone tomorow

Climbingtheladder

3 days ago I started driving with a sup learning my route. I did all my pickups with some residential left over after alone today. Tomorrow is my first day alone all day I've heard (this will be the day I love ... Lol smart ***** comments around the hub) got my route down for the most part but pretty sure I'm gonna struggle with locating packages and time management throughout the day. This is obviously a problem all new drivers will have. Any advice on keeping my cool and not getting overwhelmed ? I appreciate any pointers or advice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
3 days ago I started driving with a sup learning my route. I did all my pickups with some residential left over after alone today. Tomorrow is my first day alone all day I've heard (this will be the day I love ... Lol smart ***** comments around the hub) got my route down for the most part but pretty sure I'm gonna struggle with locating packages and time management throughout the day. This is obviously a problem all new drivers will have. Any advice on keeping my cool and not getting overwhelmed ? I appreciate any pointers or advice.

Come in early and sort your load.

Work through lunch.

Run off stops.

Clock out before you unload all your send agains, air, etc.

Above all else, work safe

Last edited:

Re-Raise

One stop at a time. Treat the back of the package car like the lane in basketball, you can't stand in there. Get the package and get out.

On the way to the delivery pick your dr spot knock and go, don't waste time second guessing yourself at the house.

Good luck and most importantly remember to be safe.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When your having trouble finding a few stops in a row. Take a 10 minute break and set your truck up. If you really feel stressed take an extra 5 go to the bathroom clean up wash your face straighten your uniform up and hit reset.

The Driver

I drive.
Sort your load often throughout the day. Keep a good pace and always check to make sure you grabbed all the packages for the address you're delivering to before you exit the package car. You don't want to get to the porch or whatever and realize there's still another package or two still back in the car! Time is money. Don't panic. Deep breaths. You'll be fine. I'm new too and finally feeling a lot more comfortable after a few weeks.

Buck Fifty

When your having trouble finding a few stops in a row. Take a 10 minute break and set your truck up. If you really feel stressed take an extra 5 go to the bathroom clean up wash your face straighten your uniform up and hit reset.

Great advise, except I would go with the starter button instead of the reset. It tends to relieve a little more stress.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its a problem all the time constantly with the loaders. SAMMY DAVIS JR. loads everyday. They know the problem and they don't care and wont do anything about it because once you leave the building its your problem to deal with not theirs.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Its a problem all the time constantly with the loaders. SAMMY DAVIS JR. loads everyday. They know the problem and they don't care and wont do anything about it because once you leave the building its your problem to deal with not theirs.

Why are you dissing The Candy Man?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
One stop at a time is right. But don't spend time looking at the whole car look at sections and its not as bad... Unless your building is nuts they wont send you out all that heavy tomorrow, my 1st day along I did a 6 hour day in 9 hours and thought I killed it. LOL

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Operation...Reload. Don't forget to tip your loader at christmas Jumpman.......or give her the whole thing! lol Dude, blind fat chicks need love toooo.....lol

Last edited:

The Milkman

Hopefully you wont be overloaded, but little by little your stop counts will increase. Once you settle in don't panic when your blown out. Take one small section at a time. Trying to obsorb every stop will waste time and stress you out. You will gain time daily as you repeat the route. Even into my 18th yr driving I would do the same thing when blown out. Can't let it stress you out. 1 stop ata time. I remember 1 peak I was in a P-500 , rural rte on paper back then. the first few hrs I delivered 50 pkgs and 48 stops..with no bulk stops it took time to geta grip on the load, you get paid by the hr, we all went through it, you will eventually figure out what works best for you. Easier now somewhat as Your stops are loaded into the Diad, try doing your route with a old map of RD #'s and misloads up the kazoo. Us old timers had to figure it out for ourselves, also don't be surprised after you do "your so called rte" that one day they yank you and put you on another rte blind..It Happens, trust me..Took me almost 9 yrs of doing Others routes before I had "MY RTE" Good Luck it can be done, just look around you, they all have been there done that.:peaceful:

cb1969

just tell yourself s$#t happens and the sun will come up tomorrow...actually no matter what you hear or are told you will get stressed and overwhelmed...just know that everybody does too and it is normal. Just keep your wheels moving and try your best...each day will get better and better....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is the second time you have used this reference, which makes no sense. Are you sure you didn't mean to say Stevie Wonder? Either way the post is insensitive and inappropriate.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is the second time you have used this reference, which makes no sense. Are you sure you didn't mean to say Stevie Wonder? Either way the post is insensitive and inappropriate.

Well Sammie WAS blind in one eye so maybe the reference halfway made sense. Still inappropriate though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
yes, i thought the same thing until I remembered Sammy had a glass eye. I don't think he means any disrespect in terms of race though....would "Helen Keller loads" be more appropriate? lol