Seasonal Driver Helper - No call to meet up with Driver

DeliciousDave

So I technically just started yesterday but they didn't have a route for me. Today at 9 I get a call asking if I'm available for a 5 hour route in my area. I tell them yes and ask when to expect a call from my driver. I was told 30 minutes and now it's almost noon with no info on whats happening.

Does this kind of thing happen a lot? I don't mind too much it's just I'd rather not be ready to go for 2-3 hours with a job that's not going to happen

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So I technically just started yesterday but they didn't have a route for me. Today at 9 I get a call asking if I'm available for a 5 hour route in my area. I tell them yes and ask when to expect a call from my driver. I was told 30 minutes and now it's almost noon with no info on whats happening.

Does this kind of thing happen a lot? I don't mind too much it's just I'd rather not be ready to go for 2-3 hours with a job that's not going to happen
if you want regularly scheduled hours...I suggest you get a job in retail or fast food.

P

pickup

This unfortunately happens quite often.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Communication is not UPS' strong suit. I'm not surprised they pulled that on you. Then they wonder why no one wants to jump out of a package car 150 times a day for 10 dollars an hour.

walk it off

There have been over 2,000,000 helpers who have asked the exact question. Some will work every day and some will never work or maybe 2 days. Unfortunately UPS has only been in business for 5 years and are not quite used to the Christmas volume increase. I'm quite sure plans will be implemented by 2017 or 2018 at the latest for a smooth and efficiently peak season. Just hang in there and don't call us we'll call you. In other words welcome to crisis mgmt. We wait until it breaks before we do anything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I empathize with you as there is no excuse for this. I hope that this is an isolated incident and that you will be working on a daily basis for the remainder of Peak.

Savvy412

Maybe they called you because the previous helper flaked, then they called you, and then the other helper called back and they went with him.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
In my area, if the coordinator calls you, you are going out on a route. They tell you where the meet point is and what time to be there. The driver may or may not call you after that to confirm that you are going to be there. Most drivers usually do call.

In the future UPS may be using the UPSers website to dispatch helpers. Although at the moment it is experimental and not in use this year. As I understand it, you log in and flag yourself as available and you get sent out.

barnyard

KTM rider
The 1st day, the helper goes out, meets the coordinator and driver together. After that, the driver calls daily with the meet time. That's the way we do it at my center. Once a helper starts, they work everyday unless the driver says, "get me another."

The helper I have this year is a 10 year preloader and has helped for at least 8 seasons. He works at the perfect pace and needs no coaching at all. Other than my PC blowing out with stops, it has been going smooth for me.

Going to make a lot of money this peak.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I was supposed to have a helper today. Time card gave me a meet point and start time of 10:30. Was still loading at meet time and got to the pick up point about 20 minutes late. No helper around so I grabbed a cup of coffee and went solo.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Communication is not UPS' strong suit. I'm not surprised they pulled that on you. Then they wonder why no one wants to jump out of a package car 150 times a day for 10 dollars an hour.

I was given a helper today for .83 hrs. (50 minutes) WTF is 50 minutes going to do for me or the helper who just wasted 40 minutes driving to and from work. It's this kind of crap that drives people away and why no one wants to be a helper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was dispatched with 9.2 helper hours which was later reduced to 7. Used him for 6.99.

I felt bad for the guy. He is in mid to late 40's and has to ride his bike wherever he goes anywhere. He rode it to the meet point, locked it up and hopped on the car. He was a bit slow to catch on to the DIAD and was a bit overwhelmed at the pace. Dropped him off at his apartment building, which is on my route. I would pick him up there in the morning but it is 3-4 miles from my first stop and my air is already tight.

I wrote down my name and phone number and gave him $10 for taxi fare for this morning. I told him that, in lieu of the usual tip and lunch that I provide to my helper, that I would pay his taxi for the duration of Peak.

I was dispatched with 9.2 helper hours which was later reduced to 7. Used him for 6.99.

I felt bad for the guy. He is in mid to late 40's and has to ride his bike wherever he goes anywhere. He rode it to the meet point, locked it up and hopped on the car. He was a bit slow to catch on to the DIAD and was a bit overwhelmed at the pace. Dropped him off at his apartment building, which is on my route. I would pick him up there in the morning but it is 3-4 miles from my first stop and my air is already tight.

I wrote down my name and phone number and gave him $10 for taxi fare for this morning. I told him that, in lieu of the usual tip and lunch that I provide to my helper, that I would pay his taxi for the duration of Peak.
Did he remember his bike?

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I was given a helper today for .83 hrs. (50 minutes) WTF is 50 minutes going to do for me or the helper who just wasted 40 minutes driving to and from work. It's this kind of crap that drives people away and why no one wants to be a helper.

The driver I am with now told me that the sheet said to use me for about three hours. He said that he doesn't even pay any attention to that. He'll use me for however long he needs me for.

I wish my bike was working. I'd ride it to the meet point as it's not far from here.