Seasonal Driver Qualification

seekz

Maybe someone with some in depth knowledge can help me here or might be an obvious answer.

Possible loop-hole?

Got hired on as a seasonal, told I was top of the list for permanent full time. Does the qualification start when you drive by yourself or when you are earning the driver pay? I started earning driver pay October 31st technically before the November-December rule. So if that's the case am I technically earning my 30 day qualification days?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Maybe someone with some in depth knowledge can help me here or might be an obvious answer.

Possible loop-hole?

Got hired on as a seasonal, told I was top of the list for permanent full time. Does the qualification start when you drive by yourself or when you are earning the driver pay? I started earning driver pay October 31st technically before the November-December rule. So if that's the case am I technically earning my 30 day qualification days?

Maybe, maybe not.

Find your steward and ask.

Box Ox

You're not going permanent full time. Sorry.

Purple2Brown

You're not going permanent full time. Sorry.

Whats your reasoning behind that statement? I was told exactly the same thing as this guy, makes me wonder if its what they tell everyone as a sort of "carrot on the stick" so people will work their asses off.

PT Car Washer

Whats your reasoning behind that statement? I was told exactly the same thing as this guy, makes me wonder if its what they tell everyone as a sort of "carrot on the stick" so people will work their asses off.
I have seen this happen before where seasonal driver was kept on after Peak was over and hired FT. Very rare and yeah it mostly is a carrot to keep seasonal employees to show up everyday. Likely scenario is working PT inside after Peak and then given a chance to qualify in the Spring.

Box Ox

wonder if its what they tell everyone as a sort of "carrot on the stick" so people will work their asses off.

Performance expectations for seasonal drivers are not high. Nor should they be. And I don't think management is THAT interested in trying to drive up an inexperienced/seasonal driver's numbers when whining about numbers isn't really a thing during this time of year anyway. Everything just needs to get delivered. Without injuries or accidents.

The big interest is probably more in seasonals not quitting. We lose a few right off the top on day 1 every year when they realize what they've gotten themselves into. You're being sold hope so your location isn't short a body to deliver packages tomorrow, the day after, etc.

The vast, vast majority of FTers had to work their way up through the part time ranks. You might get lucky, but where I am, the line for the next FT outside hire is a mile long and mostly consists of management that wants out and onto the road.

Purple2Brown

The big interest is probably more in seasonals not quitting.

I see your reasoning, but its harder than you think out there to find a job that pays 19 an hour starting with a 35 dollar an hour guarantee within 4 years. A lot of people spend their lives working for minimum wage because they can't get anything else either through some sort of fault they may have or truly no fault of their own, it could just be the economy sucks and 80% of jobs out there pay you nothing because they can. Who the :censored2: can reasonably survive on 9.50 an hour? Even if it were absolutely guaranteed that the permanent possibility were not there, people who are used to working for less than half of what this job will pay you would still gladly work ~2 months to equate to 4 months of getting paid what they might be used to. They have me on a route ranging in the last week from 120 - 150 stops, planning on putting a helper on me and boosting the number of stops. In the meantime the majority of the other seasonals seem to be driving straight trucks and doing 40 stops a day with half of those being pickups. I honestly swing back and forth between pessimism and optimism about what the outcome may be after the seasons over, because I will be screwed without a job with pay at very minimum like this. It is what is though, all I can do is bleed myself of everything I've got and hope for the best.

The most money I ever made before this was 17.54 when I worked for FedEx.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
I've seen a couple people get hired full time a couple years after they do seasonal driving. Management does notice if you're a hard worker who knows what you're doing.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I see your reasoning, but its harder than you think out there to find a job that pays 19 an hour starting with a 35 dollar an hour guarantee within 4 years. A lot of people spend their lives working for minimum wage because they can't get anything else either through some sort of fault they may have or truly no fault of their own, it could just be the economy sucks and 80% of jobs out there pay you nothing because they can. Who the :censored2: can reasonably survive on 9.50 an hour? Even if it were absolutely guaranteed that the permanent possibility were not there, people who are used to working for less than half of what this job will pay you would still gladly work ~2 months to equate to 4 months of getting paid what they might be used to. They have me on a route ranging in the last week from 120 - 150 stops, planning on putting a helper on me and boosting the number of stops. In the meantime the majority of the other seasonals seem to be driving straight trucks and doing 40 stops a day with half of those being pickups. I honestly swing back and forth between pessimism and optimism about what the outcome may be after the seasons over, because I will be screwed without a job with pay at very minimum like this. It is what is though, all I can do is bleed myself of everything I've got and hope for the best.

The most money I ever made before this was 17.54 when I worked for FedEx.

What happened to fed ex? No full time there.

Ups is not an easy company to get full time. It takes 95% of the time, 10-15 yrs for that to happen. There are some who get in as little as a few months. It is rare. But it works out. Best bet is to find out where the progression for full time is. Its 6-1 now I think. Maybe the one will be you?