Seasonal Driving

Dillinger4

I have an interview next week for a seasonal driving position. When you are hired to drive seasonal is this to cover vacations for full time permanent drivers or are these just routes that UPS has no drivers for?

PT Car Washer

I have an interview next week for a seasonal driving position. When you are hired to drive seasonal is this to cover vacations for full time permanent drivers or are these just routes that UPS has no drivers for?
At my building they usually are on the same training route all summer. They use the bid driver to cover vacations and open routes that day. Too much trouble to teach a seasonal a lot of different routes.

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
30 probation period on a training route to qualify for a position. Then you may or may not cover that route when that driver is on vacation OR they'll call you in when they put in extra routes.

Dillinger4

At my building they usually are on the same training route all summer. They use the bid driver to cover vacations and open routes that day. Too much trouble to teach a seasonal a lot of different routes.

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought that would be the case. Trying to teach someone multiple routes in my area would be extremely difficult.

PT Car Washer

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought that would be the case. Trying to teach someone multiple routes in my area would be extremely difficult.
And at the end of the season after being used and abused, if you do a really good job, you can expect to be offered a PT job on the preload for $10/hr. for 3 1/2 hours a day.

Box Ox

At my center, off street seasonals are only used if there aren't any permanent part timers who are also seasonal drivers available. HR won't tell you that. They'll just tell you your hourly rate (when/if you do work) and that it's full time (because it IS full time.....for the days you're called in). Don't expect much work outside of the holiday season. Sure, there's summer vacations. But management doesn't need so many extra drivers that they're pulling off streeters very often. There's a limit to how many drivers can vacation simultaneously.

Might sound strange , but you'd probably be better off landing a permanent part time spot now so you can start accruing seniority and also be ahead of any off street seasonals instead of taking the off street gig now and possibly waiting by the phone for work.

Dillinger4

At my center, off street seasonals are only used if there aren't any permanent part timers who are also seasonal drivers available. HR won't tell you that. They'll just tell you your hourly rate (when/if you do work) and that it's full time (because it IS full time.....for the days you're called in). Don't expect much work outside of the holiday season. Sure, there's summer vacations. But management doesn't need so many extra drivers that they're pulling off streeters very often. There's a limit to how many drivers can vacation simultaneously.

Might sound strange , but you'd probably be better off landing a permanent part time spot now so you can start accruing seniority and also be ahead of any off street seasonals instead of taking the off street gig now and possibly waiting by the phone for work.
Thanks for the info. One of the questions I will ask HR is if the position is on call. They should be able to give me the frequency of days worked per week based on past seasonal drivers but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Box Ox

Thanks for the info. One of the questions I will ask HR is if the position is on call. They should be able to give me the frequency of days worked per week based on past seasonal drivers but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Probably. Full time driver preferred days of the week and weeks of summer off can tend to follow patterns.

ManInBrown

The first 30 days you drive you will be placed on what they call a training route. If you qualify you will then help cover summer vacations. And then you will drive at peak. And then after peak if you hit Powerball you MIGHT be hired permanent

ManInBrown

Here they never work Mon or Fri. But they still show up every day, and then are sent home. About a month before XMAS they work every day

Dillinger4

The first 30 days you drive you will be placed on what they call a training route. If you qualify you will then help cover summer vacations. And then you will drive at peak. And then after peak if you hit Powerball you MIGHT be hired permanent
Perhaps, though it wouldn't make much sense to have a temp run a new route every week.

ManInBrown

Perhaps, though it wouldn't make much sense to have a temp run a new route every week.
True. But what they do here is, if they have any ability whatsoever they will move them around within 1 or 2 different loops. If they are just a body to get them thru peak, they will cover a route of someone who is out long term. Either disability or a retiree whose route hasn't been posted yet. No matter what they can't stay on the training route more than 30 days. The bid driver will grieve it.