Seasonal Employee Info?

promyth3us

Hey so you guys know the most about UPS I need help compiling some information for seasonal employees.

- What does seasonal mean exactly?
- Do we have right as employees?
- Can we ask to talk to managers above our supervisors?
- If we are harassed by seniority can we do anything about it?
- What is the difference between us and the part-time, full-time and management?
- Can we be part of the union?
- What is the union have to do with our local management?
- Who do we call if we are let go and we know it was unfair?
- Can we file grievances?
- If we step on someone's toes and they try to fire us without cause what do we do about it?

GenericUsername

- Being seasonal means that you're hired on from October 15 - January 15, at the very latest. You're a temporary employee.
- You have whatever rights the state you work in gives you.
- You can ask but good luck getting anyone other than the preload manager. I assume you're talking about belt supervisors since you didn't provide any information.
- Please explain what you mean by harassed by seniority because it's pretty vague.
- The difference is you're temporary. Part timers work anywhere from 15-30 hours a week, full timers 40+, management... well, if you can't figure that one out, you're an idiot.
- No, you're a temporary employee so you're not part of the union.
- Pretty SOL. It's seasonal work. Find another seasonal gig.
- No, how can you file a grievance to the union if you don't belong to the union?
- If you work in a right-to-work state and they decide to let you go for looking at them the wrong way, then that's it.
- Bonus: Do I feel like this was ridiculous to post and even more ridiculous to answer? Yes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey so you guys know the most about UPS I need help compiling some information for seasonal employees.

- What is the difference between us and the part-time, full-time and management?
- If we step on someone's toes and they try to fire us without cause what do we do about it?
Omg....stop. Show up everyday on time, ready to work. End of story.

rod

Retired 22 years
For the most part you have the right to show up and see if they have work for you. You can talk to anybody you want but you should be warned that at peak no one will listen to you. (pretty much like it is all year long). The only thing the Union will do for you at this time is take a bunch of money out of your check for dues and joining fees. (it happens to everyone--nothing you can do about it). Show up on time, develop a thick skin and a sense of humor and make a few bucks (it won't be as much as you hoped for).

Babagounj

Strength through joy
There is the outside chance if you really want to continue to work for UPS after peak.
I assume you work inside , so make friends with every sup you meet and work like a mad man . Sometimes they keep people after peak and/or have a short list of people they could bring back after peak .
Don't burn yourself out by working unsafely nor by being to friendly .
And don't piss off the old guys working there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1. It means that you are their bitch for the next month or so.

2. Nope.

3. Nope.

4. Nope.

5. You are disposable labor.

6. Does not concern you as a seasonal.

7. No one.

8. Nope.

9. Not a damn thing.

Chowdy

When you are on your packet and day 30 comes following the supervisor tells me my production is not consistent so he is going to extend 15 days. I have been told I'm basically going to be seasonal and the manager is just giving me some days to earn money... what y'all think? Is he really extending or will I end up seasonal

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_0120.GIF
When you are on your packet and day 30 comes following the supervisor tells me my production is not consistent so he is going to extend 15 days. I have been told I'm basically going to be seasonal and the manager is just giving me some days to earn money... what y'all think? Is he really extending or will I end up seasonal

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby

It Means Later Tater

H

harley vulkrie

HEY there promyth3us, don't feel bad for asking those questions. They're valid questions. I had them too. I was hired November 1st and was told by HR that I WAS being hired as A Permanent Part Time Employee. I still have his voicemail saved stating that. I started becoming suspicious after every supervisor referred to me as "Seasonal" the first week. Since then I have done some research online and asked many questions of the people that have been there the longest.

Basically, Everyone except the guys that have been there 20 years will LIE straight to your face. That includes HR, Supervisors and anyone else in management. They will LIE to make you feel bad about their mess ups, they will LIE to make you come in early and work for free and they will LIE to you about time and a half. Also, Watch your hours (heard this my very FIRST day) .....they will skim time off of your hours routinely= big bucks for UPS corporate. You have ZERO rights and you're disposable. If a supervisor, driver, or any other employee mistreats me with a derogatory attitude, or comment, I either call them out on it, or give it right back. Took me a couple days to figure this one out. Don't take crap from anyone and develop a thick skin. The place sucks honestly. There's not much of a future in my opinion. The drivers are miserable, the loaders are miserable and everything is negative. I am normally a positive person, but after about 2 days I became one of the regulars hating their job. It's sad really. I thought my experience was going to be different until I learned that I was going to be mistreated, lied to and underpaid. In addition, I won't be able to take my family vacation in JULY bc HR lied to me about that when they hired me. Sorry, but I AM taking my vacation even if I have to quit, but that's provided I get hired in the first place. The place is a :censored2: show. They lie, lie, lie and dangle a carrot in front of your face while hiring you. My first week I learned that it's 5-10 years to become a driver even though HR said it was an easy process when they gave our orientation. But, honestly, why would I wanna be a driver? Those individuals are miserable every day they are working there. I don't care if they make $35 and hour. They earn that pay. Plus, the union is about worthless. If the Union really had your back then why do preloaders only make $11/hr, only get a .50 raise after a year and only get benefits after a year. SCREW UPS. Sad to say. I was disappointed for a few days after realizing all of this, but I have moved on to accept that we are disposable employees for the season and will be used and abused with NO 10 minute breaks allowed and even if you do take one a supervisor will be on your ass about it. Also, what else is BS is that you cannot transfer hubs. So if you want to relocate you start all over at the bottom again. YOU LONG TIME FORUM MEMBERS CAN CALL ME SOUR PUSS AND TO SUCK IT UP, BUT I'M AN AWESOME EMPLOYEE. It's just UPS is a lousy employer and they hide it behind a facade.....till you work there!!!!

PT Car Washer

HEY there promyth3us, don't feel bad for asking those questions. They're valid questions. I had them too. I was hired November 1st and was told by HR that I WAS being hired as A Permanent Part Time Employee. I still have his voicemail saved stating that. I started becoming suspicious after every supervisor referred to me as "Seasonal" the first week. Since then I have done some research online and asked many questions of the people that have been there the longest.

Basically, Everyone except the guys that have been there 20 years will LIE straight to your face. That includes HR, Supervisors and anyone else in management. They will LIE to make you feel bad about their mess ups, they will LIE to make you come in early and work for free and they will LIE to you about time and a half. Also, Watch your hours (heard this my very FIRST day) .....they will skim time off of your hours routinely= big bucks for UPS corporate. You have ZERO rights and you're disposable. If a supervisor, driver, or any other employee mistreats me with a derogatory attitude, or comment, I either call them out on it, or give it right back. Took me a couple days to figure this one out. Don't take crap from anyone and develop a thick skin. The place sucks honestly. There's not much of a future in my opinion. The drivers are miserable, the loaders are miserable and everything is negative. I am normally a positive person, but after about 2 days I became one of the regulars hating their job. It's sad really. I thought my experience was going to be different until I learned that I was going to be mistreated, lied to and underpaid. In addition, I won't be able to take my family vacation in JULY bc HR lied to me about that when they hired me. Sorry, but I AM taking my vacation even if I have to quit, but that's provided I get hired in the first place. The place is a :censored2: show. They lie, lie, lie and dangle a carrot in front of your face while hiring you. My first week I learned that it's 5-10 years to become a driver even though HR said it was an easy process when they gave our orientation. But, honestly, why would I wanna be a driver? Those individuals are miserable every day they are working there. I don't care if they make $35 and hour. They earn that pay. Plus, the union is about worthless. If the Union really had your back then why do preloaders only make $11/hr, only get a .50 raise after a year and only get benefits after a year. SCREW UPS. Sad to say. I was disappointed for a few days after realizing all of this, but I have moved on to accept that we are disposable employees for the season and will be used and abused with NO 10 minute breaks allowed and even if you do take one a supervisor will be on your ass about it. Also, what else is BS is that you cannot transfer hubs. So if you want to relocate you start all over at the bottom again. YOU LONG TIME FORUM MEMBERS CAN CALL ME SOUR PUSS AND TO SUCK IT UP, BUT I'M AN AWESOME EMPLOYEE. It's just UPS is a lousy employer and they hide it behind a facade.....till you work there!!!!
You learned all this in your first month working here? Took me years.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_1004.GIF