Seasonal Employess NOT REQUIRED to pay union dues!

pappyj

I was a seasonal helper for past 5 years in Hagerstown, MD. First 4 years no dues was withheld, last year dues was deducted. All helpers were impacted. No helper had any prior knowledge that this would happen, nor did they sign any authorizations for dues.
I filed a complaint with National Labor Relations Board, region 5 for my area. Both UPS and Teamsters were wrong. They agreed to a settlement in which ALL seasonal helpers working under the Local 992, nearly 500 employees, will get ALL DUES AND INITIATION FEES RETURNED, PLUS INTEREST! This will be finalized in the next 14 days, as I have just returned the signed documents to NLRB this moring.

If you were a seasonal helper, you must contact the NLRB for your region to file a complaint. It is free, but they can only act when charge is filed locally. You will get your money back, if the same thing happend to you.

HubBub

Or you could just look at it like a charitable donation to the IBT. Seasonal employees are probably rolling in cash anyways, you shouldn't miss it much.

Avalon

Avalon
I don't feel bad for seasonal drivers where I am. They make 5$/hour more than I do. They should pay dues to work in a union position.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

I don't feel bad for seasonal drivers where I am. They make 5$/hour more than I do. They should pay dues to work in a union position.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Will they let you apply for the position? I assume you are a PT inside package handler. Have seen many PTers do seasonal. Great way to find out if you would like the job FT.

upschuck

Don't forget to add in the value of your benefits that they don't get. I know it stinks that they "make" more, but you are in much better position to earn a lot more than they are. Look long term.

upschuck

I was a seasonal helper for past 5 years in Hagerstown, MD. First 4 years no dues was withheld, last year dues was deducted. All helpers were impacted. No helper had any prior knowledge that this would happen, nor did they sign any authorizations for dues.
I filed a complaint with National Labor Relations Board, region 5 for my area. Both UPS and Teamsters were wrong. They agreed to a settlement in which ALL seasonal helpers working under the Local 992, nearly 500 employees, will get ALL DUES AND INITIATION FEES RETURNED, PLUS INTEREST! This will be finalized in the next 14 days, as I have just returned the signed documents to NLRB this moring.

If you were a seasonal helper, you must contact the NLRB for your region to file a complaint. It is free, but they can only act when charge is filed locally. You will get your money back, if the same thing happend to you.
Good for you. UPS only takes out what the union tells them too. They only take them out for temp drivers here.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

At least you won't have to worry about having to work as a seasonal.... ever again.

-Bug-

mike1646

Here they only take union dues if you join the union, which you can't you unless you are a permanent employee.

Sent using BrownCafe App

pappyj

Just to clarify to all you haters. I was a peak season driver helper, helping a buddy on his route. I don't seek full time work as I run my own lawn maintenance business, and have for 10 years now.
And yes, I do intend to go back next holiday season. You see, smart :censored2:, since I have worked each year, 5 years in a row, if they don't take me back now because of the charge, then they're really in trouble with the NLRB. This coming straight from the NLRB attorney!
I wouldn't mind paying my share if I was in fact represented by the union, but working only 4 weeks each year, I will never be protected. How can the union even think they have the right to take my money, and do it without even having me sign a dues card, or any authorization of any kind? And they did it to nearly 500 employees, who now will all get their money back because I did something about it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just to clarify to all you haters. I was a peak season driver helper, helping a buddy on his route. I don't seek full time work as I run my own lawn maintenance business, and have for 10 years now.
And yes, I do intend to go back next holiday season. You see, smart :censored2:, since I have worked each year, 5 years in a row, if they don't take me back now because of the charge, then they're really in trouble with the NLRB. This coming straight from the NLRB attorney!
I wouldn't mind paying my share if I was in fact represented by the union, but working only 4 weeks each year, I will never be protected. How can the union even think they have the right to take my money, and do it without even having me sign a dues card, or any authorization of any kind? And they did it to nearly 500 employees, who now will all get their money back because I did something about it.

What is the case number ??

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

They don't have to hire you or anyone else that applies for a seasonal job they can pick and choose who they hire. Just because you went to the NLRB and complain about something doesn't mean UPS has to hire you back as a SEASONAL EMPLOYEE.

Maryland is a at will state.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wpatwill.shtml

In Maryland, employees work "at the will" of their employers. This means, in the absence of an express contract, agreement or policy to the contrary, an employee may be hired or fired for almost any reason -- whether fair or not -- or for no reason at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They don't have to hire you or anyone else that applies for a seasonal job they can pick and choose who they hire. Just because you went to the NLRB and complain about something doesn't mean UPS has to hire you back as a SEASONAL EMPLOYEE.

Maryland is a at will state.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wpatwill.shtml

In Maryland, employees work "at the will" of their employers. This means, in the absence of an express contract, agreement or policy to the contrary, an employee may be hired or fired for almost any reason -- whether fair or not -- or for no reason at all.

His beef was not with his employer----it was with the union for taking funds for services not provided. I agree 100% with his decision and applaud him for following through on it.