Seasonal Feeder Questions

mmroadster

Hey guys I was hired this past peak (started Nov.17th) as a seasonal feeder driver and have still been getting a little work and was wondering what my status is now? The feeder supervisor at my center is new to the position and hasn't been able to answer any of my questions, I've got a copy of the contract but I haven't been able to find any answers there either. I've read online that peak ends Jan.15th so what do you think my status is now? How many days do you need to work to get seniority status, do days worked during peak count if you work past peak date?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If you know which regional supplement (and possibly local rider) you're under, that would help a lot to give you an accurate answer.

Is there a 'Seniority' or 'Probationary' heading in your contract?

Anyway, in general, it will be something like 30 or 40 days worked in a 90 calendar day period.

SafeYARDdog

Hey guys I was hired this past peak (started Nov.17th) as a seasonal feeder driver and have still been getting a little work and was wondering what my status is now? The feeder supervisor at my center is new to the position and hasn't been able to answer any of my questions, I've got a copy of the contract but I haven't been able to find any answers there either. I've read online that peak ends Jan.15th so what do you think my status is now? How many days do you need to work to get seniority status, do days worked during peak count if you work past peak date?
Would you please tell me how to be HIRED as a seasonal FEEDER? Thank you very much.

supreme7

I was a seasonal hire as well,I worked until the last week of January and was let go because "the union" said they had to let us go

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I was a seasonal hire as well,I worked until the last week of January and was let go because "the union" said they had to let us go
I'm guessing "the union" said they had to follow the contract, and add more permanent feeder drivers as needed under the agreed upon process instead of abusing seasonal drivers by stringing them along without giving them benefits.

You do want a steady full time job with benefits, don't you?

supreme7

I'm guessing "the union" said they had to follow the contract, and add more permanent feeder drivers as needed under the agreed upon process instead of abusing seasonal drivers by stringing them along without giving them benefits.

You do want a steady full time job with benefits, don't you?

Sure do, sorry if my statement offended you, I was told many things while I was there, never got clarity until that last week, so understand my frustration.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I think they can work a seasonal to the second full week in jan. If you work after that you are automatically hired. You then have to complete a probationary period

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Sure do, sorry if my statement offended you, I was told many things while I was there, never got clarity until that last week, so understand my frustration.
No problem. Just wanted to make sure you understood there's very little chance of good full time jobs if they can just use seasonal or 'casuals', for 5, 10, or more years before hiring. Which apparently they can, under certain supplements.

supreme7

I think they can work a seasonal to the second full week in jan. If you work after that you are automatically hired. You then have to complete a probationary period

I was told that as well, I'm just patiently waiting to apply for a full time position, miss the job, cool people at every center, just a great job

mmroadster

If you know which regional supplement (and possibly local rider) you're under, that would help a lot to give you an accurate answer.

Is there a 'Seniority' or 'Probationary' heading in your contract?

Anyway, in general, it will be something like 30 or 40 days worked in a 90 calendar day period.
I only have the national agreement but I believe it's the Upstate/West NY Supplement I'm working under. I've been a Teamster for almost thirty years and most definitely want to abide by the contract. Guess I need to call the hall, our local meetings are on Sundays and I worked every Sunday during peak and was out of town the last meeting so I haven't been able to ask at a meeting.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I only have the national agreement but I believe it's the Upstate/West NY Supplement I'm working under....
The Upstate/West New York rider is available at Teamster.org, it looks like there are several specific Local amendments included. I think you definitely need to call your Local Hall or ask at the next meeting.

barnyard

KTM rider

Not true.

If a seasonal works past the 'free period', a FT position must be created. If the spot should be filled by an outside hire, than the seasonal may get the job, if not, then it goes up for bid.