Seasonal Hire - Advice

NRDan06

Hey I was hired on at UPS as a seasonal package handler (preload). Got hired on the 24th of October. Great job, love it etc. However recently (last Sunday night to be exact) I received an injury to my figure (got sliced really bad) that required me to go to the emergency room. I received medical care etc and they informed me that I would require to take two days off work (as well as giving me a note saying so).

So I go into work Monday with my finger bandaged (actually planning on working and not mentioning anything about the injury - hoping for the best) and my supervisor asks me what's wrong. So I explained to him and showed him the doctors note etc. He talked to the center manager and the center manager told me it would be best to take the time off as to not risk further injury. I asked my supervisor if this would effect my employment status and he informed me it wouldn't, that it was due to medical reasons and that I would be fine.

So I take the time off and as well go to the doctors for a follow up. Doctor says I'm good to go and gives me note to return back to work. Wednesday rolls around, I go to work on time and am informed that "We will call you when we have work for you". So it's been a week now and I just got off the phone with them (I called them) and was told "I can't give you a time frame. We are pretty people heavy right now and it depends on how volume is".

I am completely lost. Not fired, yet not working? I mean it's not like I wanted to take the time off - they recommened that I did. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance

evilleace

No just wait volume will pick back up but I would call befire shift every day. You are not fired just on call you are seasonal that means no seniority no company time som anyone with seniority is called first. If you didn't work at all for an month there really isn't anything you can do as you are seasonal and all employees with seniority work first. Good Luck and things should pick up in the next week.

(also wear gloves helps prevent the cuts)

NRDan06

Thanks for the response evilleace. I talked to another co-worker and he had said that he is sure I would be back by Monday, we'll see. However even considering being seasonal, I just feel if I hadn't got this injury I wouldn't of been off.

I guess with me having to take the two days off work they had to bring someone back in or what not therefore voiding my position (or at least until there is a need for me again).

evilleace

I dont think there is any seniority among seasonal workers so yes your time could have put someone else in your position, but when you get back work hard and safe show up on time and they usually will keep you instead of laying you off but with the economy the way it is you might be out after peak until volume picks up but don't get discouraged just keep calling and they will hire you back eventually.

NRDan06

Thanks once again evilleace. When I was working I was there every day on time, worked hard and even stayed for add-cuts when no one else wanted to. So I don't think it's a matter of work ethic - just an untimely injury.

I guess I will just continue to call everyday to see if they need me and hope for the best. Thanks.

Indy135

Hey I was hired on at UPS as a seasonal package handler (preload). Got hired on the 24th of October. Great job, love it etc. However recently (last Sunday night to be exact) I received an injury to my figure (got sliced really bad) that required me to go to the emergency room. I received medical care etc and they informed me that I would require to take two days off work (as well as giving me a note saying so).

So I go into work Monday with my finger bandaged (actually planning on working and not mentioning anything about the injury - hoping for the best) and my supervisor asks me what's wrong. So I explained to him and showed him the doctors note etc. He talked to the center manager and the center manager told me it would be best to take the time off as to not risk further injury. I asked my supervisor if this would effect my employment status and he informed me it wouldn't, that it was due to medical reasons and that I would be fine.

So I take the time off and as well go to the doctors for a follow up. Doctor says I'm good to go and gives me note to return back to work. Wednesday rolls around, I go to work on time and am informed that "We will call you when we have work for you". So it's been a week now and I just got off the phone with them (I called them) and was told "I can't give you a time frame. We are pretty people heavy right now and it depends on how volume is".

I am completely lost. Not fired, yet not working? I mean it's not like I wanted to take the time off - they recommened that I did. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance

dan, it is possible that the injury had nothing to do with this at all......i work at ups freight and we recently had 4 guys put "on call" status, meaning they use to work mon-friday, now they only get called in when we need them (that was a month ago and not one has been back since)

so it might just be volume is light or you are overstaffed

NRDan06

Hey guys just wanted to update you and let you know I was called back into work this week.

It is possible that it wasn't the injury, just a coincidence with the timing of it and light volume (I know they did have a later start time the week I was off).

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can get back on after season.

Thanks again guys and Happy Thanksgiving

UnconTROLLed

perfection
dan, it is possible that the injury had nothing to do with this at all......i work at ups freight and we recently had 4 guys put "on call" status, meaning they use to work mon-friday, now they only get called in when we need them (that was a month ago and not one has been back since)

so it might just be volume is light or you are overstaffed

What do you think he said originally?

"we are people heavy right now" aka TOO MANY COOKS IN THE KITCHEN

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hey guys just wanted to update you and let you know I was called back into work this week.

It is possible that it wasn't the injury, just a coincidence with the timing of it and light volume (I know they did have a later start time the week I was off).

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can get back on after season.

Thanks again guys and Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Volume has been lower, unusually low for late November, but this week has been and will be higher and you will likely get hours from here out.

Much of it is online shopping for the Holidays, too. That has begun , albeit stunted due to the economy as you know. This week is the starting point for all of that goodness and thus "peak" season begins if not delayed a bit.

The package volume is up about 20-25% from 2 weeks ago, in our building, on the two shifts I work.

Enjoy!