Seasonal Newbie Question

Blexcroid

I interviewed on Tuesday for a Driver Helper job. Orientation was Friday, from 0800 - 1200, and by 1400 I was on a truck running. What they did not go over was when and how we get paid! Obviously it will be by live check, but are they mailed, picked up at the Package Center or what?

Is there an official employee website where we can log in to fin out answers to these questions? Outside of the safety briefing, we just didn't get a lot of further information.

I am a 50+ YO female who is retired from my first career. Even though I'm in good shape, I have a nice case of shin splints from running on the concrete. Fortunately I know they'll go away in about 72 hours. I actually ENJOY the physical aspects of the job. It's a nice change from the desk job I had for 25 years.

Hopefully I'll do well enough to at least be hired again next year.

UPSGUY72

Your driver will hand you your check each Friday for the week before. In order to get you last check you have to turn in the uniform they gave you.

DON'T RUN. Walk fast Nothing that we deliver is worth getting hurt over.

AssistantSanta

If you can fast walk for 20 minutes at a time with no difficulty I think you'll be fine. I find the job isn't as physically demanding as they make it out to be at interview. At least not on my route.

I do moderately high density residential stops and what helps me the most is that I spent a few hours here how to use the DIAD. I don't enjoy lifting heavy things, but I walk quicker than my driver(I don't leave for class until last minute, so fast walk is ingrained in me) and I can handle routine procedure quickly on portable computer (called DIAD) so lets me avoid very heavy stuff.

I flat out told my driver that I don't like packages over 35 lbs. One house had six 65 lbs boxes. I talked my way out of that but I took care of two driver-releases and a signature required packages while the driver was dealing with that. In the end, it still worked out since we finished up four stops at once.

AKCoverMan

Were you not told in the hire process that you would be expected to handle packages up to 150 lbs with use of a carry aid? You are basically refusing to do the work you were hired to do because you "do not like" packages over 35 lbs.

Not cool.

Obviously in resi land there can be reasons why hand carts are not much help with over 70s.. if I am delivering with a helper we usually two person carry the over 70s to the DR spot.

UPSGUY72

If you can fast walk for 20 minutes at a time with no difficulty I think you'll be fine. I find the job isn't as physically demanding as they make it out to be at interview. At least not on my route.

I do moderately high density residential stops and what helps me the most is that I spent a few hours here how to use the DIAD. I don't enjoy lifting heavy things, but I walk quicker than my driver(I don't leave for class until last minute, so fast walk is ingrained in me) and I can handle routine procedure quickly on portable computer (called DIAD) so lets me avoid very heavy stuff.

I flat out told my driver that I don't like packages over 35 lbs. One house had six 65 lbs boxes. I talked my way out of that but I took care of two driver-releases and a signature required packages while the driver was dealing with that. In the end, it still worked out since we finished up four stops at once.

Dude you have a lot of issue. The more and more you post just confirms my opinions.

If I where your driver and you refused to deliver a package that I handed you that would be the last day you where my and anyone elses helper. You'd also be walking home from that location.

You don't get to pick and choose what packages you want to deliver. You do what your instructed to do by the driver. Your not in charge.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You, my friend, would not last 15 minutes with me as a helper. In my 32 years with UPS, I've had really, really good helpers, and some like you. You do not dictate to me what you will and will not do as my helper. I will never ask you to do anything I would not do, and I will always ask you if you can handle a package that I consider to be heavy or awkward.

Give it up AsSanta, you will be lucky to make to the 23rd, let alone after.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

​I would have given you the hand truck and told you to do your job or go home.

Indecisi0n

LOL. My helper gets all the heavy packages.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

The more I think about it the more I am SOOOOO not done with you yet. You refused???? WTH? We have better people than you around here that are begging for jobs to buy their kids Christmas presents or put food on the table for their families and you refused. I would sooner go pick up an unemployed Mexican off the corner and have him jump for me rather than have you on my truck. If you can't hack keeping up with a 50 year old woman that has spent all MY LIFE working, then you don't deserve the job. To bad for TOS. :madashell:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The more I think about it the more I am SOOOOO not done with you yet. You refused???? WTH? We have better people than you around here that are begging for jobs to buy their kids Christmas presents or put food on the table for their families and you refused. I would sooner go pick up an unemployed illegal Mexican off the corner and have him jump for me rather than have you on my truck. If you can't hack keeping up with a 50 year old woman that has spent all MY LIFE working, then you don't deserve the job. To bad for TOS. :madashell:
​added

Re-Raise

Assistant Santa is not a helper, but he is yanking everyone's chain! LOL

I am starting to think the same thing. He lost me on the last post. It is one of those things where he is giving too much information to make his story believable.

Why throw in the part about walking fast because he leaves late for class unless you are going out of your way to pretend to be a student?

His questions about the DIAD are a little too in depth for any helper I know. I use the stupid thing every day I don't know or care about some of the things he was trying to do with it.

C

chuchu

I interviewed on Tuesday for a Driver Helper job. Orientation was Friday, from 0800 - 1200, and by 1400 I was on a truck running. What they did not go over was when and how we get paid! Obviously it will be by live check, but are they mailed, picked up at the Package Center or what?

Is there an official employee website where we can log in to fin out answers to these questions? Outside of the safety briefing, we just didn't get a lot of further information.

I am a 50+ YO female who is retired from my first career. Even though I'm in good shape, I have a nice case of shin splints from running on the concrete. Fortunately I know they'll go away in about 72 hours. I actually ENJOY the physical aspects of the job. It's a nice change from the desk job I had for 25 years.

Hopefully I'll do well enough to at least be hired again next year.
WHAT maroon DRIVER MAKES YOU "RUN ON CONCRETE"? OR ANYTIME AT ALL......except from a rot?

C

chuchu

:angry:

You'd be carrying the light box to your personal vehicle when you were FIRED at our center. That box is called Kleenexes (or Tamp..). Loser.

Last edited by a moderator:

capers8

I like the heavy ones. Half the reason I signed up for the Driver Helper job is so I could get a workout everyday. **** a gym membership, work for UPS.

capers8

I like the heavy ones. Half the reason I signed up for the Driver Helper job was so I could workout everyday. Screw a gym membership, work for UPS.

Blexcroid

How good of shape are you in?
I was a competitive racewalker through my 30s & 40s and still have substantial upper body strength from bodybuilding in my college years. I'm still in quite good physical condition, but I'm a natural racewalker vs runner. Friday, I was jogging, matching the behaviour of my driver, but I'd definitely prefer to briskly walk to reduce the pounding on my shin muscles.
As for packages, unless they're massively bulky, I can easily handle packages up to 50 lbs by hand. Over 50 lbs, I'd prefer to use a hand truck (work smarter & safer, not harder), but I wouldn't refuse to handle any package.
@over9five & upsguy72: Thank you for the information on paydays & paychecks.