Seasonal Package Car Drivers Until 2021?

browned out

What if the Teamsters/UPS propose a memorandum of understanding regarding summer vacation replacement (seasonals) until 2021; instead of ending at Labor Day? Some locals are incompetent, inept, and utterly useless when it comes to crafting the language in these contractual additional agreements.

Good Locals secured Time and a Half for drivers forgoing their vacations and working those vacations to help UPS with excess volume. Garbage locals got straight time.

Now; many locals are winning 9.5 grievances. Hooray.

The bad news is that UPS arbitrarily decides when they want to go to a 70 hour DOT work week.

9.5 language and rights are clearly not open to interpretation.

The concern of RPCD's and 22.4's is that UPS will continue to use Personal Vehicle Drivers (PVD) and extend the seasonal period to eliminate the "need" for 70 hour work weeks and eliminate the opportunity for RPCD's and 22.4s, etc. the opportunity to earn double time after 60 hours by UPS staying on the 60 hour DOT week.

Any memo of understanding regarding the extension of vacation replacement drivers past labor day should include UPS having to hire these drivers and count their seniority starting the day after Labor Day.

The Union should not agree to any extension of the seasonal/vacation driver Labor Day cut-off without securing language stating that ALL RPCD's 22.4's, PT Air Drivers, etc HAVE THE RIGHT TO UP TO 70 hours per week. A bid sheet should be put up every Monday for the next week for drivers requesting the extra work. The Teamsters can not force UPS to agree to 70 hour work weeks. UPS can not force the Teamsters to accept a new language allowing increased or extended use of PVD's or Seasonal Replacement Drivers.

9.5 language protects drivers forced to work excess hours...or at least forces UPS to pay a penalty.

Many UPSers want all the OT they can get. Some have spouses who have lost their livelihoods due to Covid 19.

C'MON Hoffa/Hall/Taylor. Let the hard working UPSers who want the OT have a right to it. We are capped at 60 Hours in our Local. Many Drivers want the opportunity of up to 70 hours. Yet UPS is using PVDs to avoid the double time.

No Extra Work Rights & Bid Sheet for up to 70 hours. THEN: NO PVD/SEASONAL EXTENSION.

Last edited:

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
If you want 70 hour weeks be my guest. Ill stick to my 45 and grieve if I'm over 9.5 outside of peak. I am willing to go above and beyond during peak but my life doesn't revolve around this place. I'm sorry your spouse lost his/her job but be realistic how long do you think all of you can last in a 70 hour a week high intensity job?

542thruNthru

What if the Teamsters/UPS propose a memorandum of understanding regarding summer vacation replacement (seasonals) until 2021; instead of ending at Labor Day? Some locals are incompetent, inept, and utterly useless when it comes to crafting the language in these contractual additional agreements.

Good Locals secured Time and a Half for drivers forgoing their vacations and working those vacations to help UPS with excess volume. Garbage locals got straight time.

The bad news is that UPS arbitrarily decides when they want to go to a 70 hour DOT work week.

The concern of RPCD's and 22.4's is that UPS will continue to use Personal Vehicle Drivers (PVD) and extend the seasonal period to eliminate the "need" for 70 hour work weeks and eliminate the opportunity for RPCD's and 22.4s, etc. the opportunity to earn double time after 60 hours by UPS staying on the 60 hour DOT week.

Any memo of understanding regarding the extension of vacation replacement drivers past labor day should include UPS having to hire these drivers and count their seniority starting the day after Labor Day.

The Union should not agree to any extension of the seasonal/vacation driver Labor Day cut-off without securing language stating that ALL RPCD's 22.4's, PT Air Drivers, etc HAVE THE RIGHT TO UP TO 70 hours per week. A bid sheet should be put up every Monday for the next week for drivers requesting the extra work. The Teamsters can not force UPS to agree to 70 hour work weeks. UPS can not force the Teamsters to accept a new language allowing increased or extended use of PVD's or Seasonal Replacement Drivers.

9.5 language protects drivers forced to work excess hours...or at least forces UPS to pay a penalty.

Many UPSers want all the OT they can get. Some have spouses who have lost their livelihoods due to Covid 19.

C'MON Hoffa/Hall/Taylor. Let the hard working UPSers who want the OT have a right to it. We are capped at 60 Hours in our Local. Many Drivers want the opportunity of up to 70 hours. Yet UPS is using PVDs to avoid the double time.

No Extra Work Rights & Bid Sheet for up to 70 hours. THEN: NO PVD/SEASONAL EXTENSION.

Going off my region in the west. Our LOA (letter of agreement) was negotiated with all locals and JCs involved. I'm assuming yours will be also if it were to happen.

Though to be honest you sound like a OT whore and really are only worried about that.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you want 70 hour weeks be my guest. Ill stick to my 45 and grieve if I'm over 9.5 outside of peak. I am willing to go above and beyond during peak but my life doesn't revolve around this place. I'm sorry your spouse lost his/her job but be realistic how long do you think all of you can last in a 70 hour a week high intensity job?
I give the same effort during peak as any other time of they year. I'm not killing myself because the company can't plan and staff properly for the busiest time of the year. I get that there was a time where it would have been prideful to go above and beyond during peak because it meant getting Christmas gifts to people on time. But now that peak consists of people just shopping for deals on amazon non stop, screw that. The whole season has lost it's spirit and now it's just all about consumerism. I'll do my 180-200 stops in 12+ hours and the company can :censored2: off if I have more work to do past that.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Going off my region in the west. Our LOA (letter of agreement) was negotiated with all locals and JCs involved. I'm assuming yours will be also if it were to happen.

Though to be honest you sound like a OT whore and really are only worried about that.
Did we get a new LOA or is the original one? Did they extend it through the entire :censored2:ing year!?

542thruNthru

Did we get a new LOA or is the original one? Did they extend it through the entire :censored2:ing year!?

Are you part of it now?

It gets extended every 2 weeks. They did add to the PVD language a little and yes its still going.

My steward filed a grievance on the PVDs. They are using outside hires but pretending they are inside hires by putting 1 min of preload time.

Of course UPS is denying this and taking it all the way to panel. So nothing has changed.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Are you part of it now?

It gets extended every 2 weeks. They did add to the PVD language a little and yes its still going.

My steward filed a grievance on the PVDs. They are using outside hires but pretending they are inside hires by putting 1 min of preload time.

Of course UPS is denying this and taking it all the way to panel. So nothing has changed.
Doesn't surprise me one bit. It is my understanding that August 31st is the last day our center is using PVDs.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What happened with all those NLRB charges you filed against Local 243 ?

Over70irregs

I give the same effort during peak as any other time of they year. I'm not killing myself because the company can't plan and staff properly for the busiest time of the year. I get that there was a time where it would have been prideful to go above and beyond during peak because it meant getting Christmas gifts to people on time. But now that peak consists of people just shopping for deals on amazon non stop, screw that. The whole season has lost it's spirit and now it's just all about consumerism. I'll do my 180-200 stops in 12+ hours and the company can :censored2: off if I have more work to do past that.
Regular season same pace. Christmas season same pace. 70 hour weeks will rob your body down the road. It’s called pre-existing condition. You will be stuck on your own dime. Long $ is the best way.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Regular season same pace. Christmas season same pace. 70 hour weeks will rob your body down the road. It’s called pre-existing condition. You will be stuck on your own dime. Long $ is the best way.

Couldn't agree more. I smell the roses during peak and make sure and get an extra long whiff during peak. Im not killing myself just to get more and more each day. I'm not ending up like the jackals runner gunner in my center that had 530 stops across 2 trucks.

browned out

There should be a clear cut, not open to interpretation agreement regarding all extra work up to 70 hours per week. 9.5 ers are protected already. They are collecting on their grievances.

Drivers who want up to 70 hours a week should have that right. There are many drivers here who are not getting close to 60 hours; let alone 70 hours. Many drivers want these hours. Give them the opportunity at least. The 60 or 70 hour DOT work week is arbitrary and UPS can change their DOT hour limit at will. It should be 70.

If UPS/Teamsters Union agree to extending the seasonal period, extending the use of PVD's or utilizing helpers; It will cost drivers who want the OT thousands of dollars.

PVD or Seasonal 40 hours X $20 an hour = $800.

If RPCDs were offered this work that is rightfully theirs: 40 hours at time and a half ($57.93) = $2317.20.

40 hours times at Double Time. ( $77.24) = $3089.60 .

$800, $2317.20 or $3089.60. What do you think UPS mgmt will choose?

Recap:

$800 or less for Seasonals or PVDS performing 40 hours of package car work.

Costing RPCDs who should obviously have a contractual right to the extra work anywhere from $2317.20 to $ 3089.60.

Simple solution for inept locals: A bid sheet every week for all RPCDs, 22.4s, PT air drivers, etc to sign if they want the extra hours up to 70 hours.

Otherwise; no agreement or memorandum of understanding extending the seasonal period, extending the use of PVDs or the early use of driver helpers.

Hoffa/Hall/Taylor; Don't defraud the hard working drivers. It is Dishonest.

9.5 is great for those who desire those hours. Up to 70 hours is great for those who desire that extra $. Both can and should be easily accommodated.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There should be a clear cut, not open to interpretation agreement regarding all extra work up to 70 hours per week. 9.5 ers are protected already. They are collecting on their grievances.

Drivers who want up to 70 hours a week should have that right. There are many drivers here who are not getting close to 60 hours; let alone 70 hours. Many drivers want these hours. Give them the opportunity at least. The 60 or 70 hour DOT work week is arbitrary and UPS can change their DOT hour limit at will. It should be 70.

If UPS/Teamsters Union agree to extending the seasonal period, extending the use of PVD's or utilizing helpers; It will cost drivers who want the OT thousands of dollars.

PVD or Seasonal 40 hours X $20 an hour = $800.

If RPCDs were offered this work that is rightfully theirs: 40 hours at time and a half ($57.93) = $2317.20.

40 hours times at Double Time. ( $77.24) = $3089.60 .

$800, $2317.20 or $3089.60. What do you think UPS mgmt will choose?

Recap:

$800 or less for Seasonals or PVDS performing 40 hours of package car work.

Costing RPCDs who should obviously have a contractual right to the extra work anywhere from $2317.20 to $ 3089.60.

Simple solution for inept locals: A bid sheet every week for all RPCDs, 22.4s, PT air drivers, etc to sign if they want the extra hours up to 70 hours.

Otherwise; no agreement or memorandum of understanding extending the seasonal period, extending the use of PVDs or the early use of driver helpers.

Hoffa/Hall/Taylor; Don't defraud the hard working drivers. It is Dishonest.

9.5 is great for those who desire those hours. Up to 70 hours is great for those who desire that extra $. Both can and should be easily accommodated.

What happened with all of those NLRB charges.... you filed against Local 243 ?

UPSnBrowns

Ok now as a personal who considered doing PVD I see both sides and understand your position no extra help should get the work before you having the opportunity to 70+.

If not what good would your seniority be.

browned out

I can see his side also it’s an addiction of its own some the money, some the workout.

That would be a minority of the employees who want this work. It's not an addiction to $ or a workout. It is a simple seniority based contractual obligation that has been a pillar of union membership for decades. Extra work offered by seniority.
If a RPCD, 22.4, Air Driver, etc wants the available work; they obviously should have the right to that work.