Seasonal Shifters

Luckydip7

Hey I’m a 22.4. My work posted a bid for seasonal shifters. When my package manager found out package drivers were going to be shifting they told my union reps we are not allowed to shift only the part timers. Union didn’t agree because it violates seniority so now the bid has been shut down. Only casuals will be shifting this year.

Can we grieve casuals for shifting and not offering it to union employees? Also theses shifter are not allowed to go on public road. They never leave our Hub yard.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
here-we-go-sitdown.gif

542thruNthru

Hey I’m a 22.4. My work posted a bid for seasonal shifters. When my package manager found out package drivers were going to be shifting they told my union reps we are not allowed to shift only the part timers. Union didn’t agree because it violates seniority so now the bid has been shut down. Only casuals will be shifting this year.

Can we grieve casuals for shifting and not offering it to union employees? Also theses shifter are not allowed to go on public road. They never leave our Hub yard.
Did you ask your local?

Luckydip7

Yeah they’ll local is looking into it. I’m trying to find anything out we can argue with.

Normally it’s if you are doing the shifter job for the season you are part of the feeder program and will do your training after the season. This year we are doing it differently where it’s only a seasonal job. Separate from permanent.

I don’t see why we can’t because these casuals don’t have a class A license. The position is only offered to casuals. That’s like having trailer sweeper jobs and only casuals taking them.

Yeah they’ll local is looking into it. I’m trying to find anything out we can argue with.

Normally it’s if you are doing the shifter job for the season you are part of the feeder program and will do your training after the season. This year we are doing it differently where it’s only a seasonal job. Separate from permanent.

I don’t see why we can’t because these casuals don’t have a class A license. The position is only offered to casuals. That’s like having trailer sweeper jobs and only casuals taking them.
You don't have to have a Class A to be a shifter, because, as you mentioned previously, they do not leave the yard.

Luckydip7

You brought up casuals not having them, they don't need them.
Yes to make my argument that those casuals are being misclassified. Article 31 Section 5 of the supplement is suppose to be for extra help from people who have class A license. These people even If they do have the license, not sure if they have it or not, are not allowed to the leave yard. They have to meet the same definition as a qualified seniority employee. The way I’m understanding it they don’t qualify as a casual defined in the article and are taking full time jobs.

Yes to make my argument that those casuals are being misclassified. Article 31 Section 5 of the supplement is suppose to be for extra help from people who have class A license. These people even If they do have the license, not sure if they have it or not, are not allowed to the leave yard. They have to meet the same definition as a qualified seniority employee. The way I’m understanding it they don’t qualify as a casual defined in the article and are taking full time jobs.
Well, without context that's not how it reads, but now you wanna quote your supplement after going on this tirade and not even mentioning what local you're from.....neat.

I’ve already explained myself. I was only providing the context you said I was lacking.
You explained how you think it is "normally" done, and then provided feeder info from your supplement. If you have nothing in print, and your local has no idea, then you have nothing at all and no one here can help.

Best of luck.

Luckydip7

You explained how you think it is "normally" done, and then provided feeder info from your supplement. If you have nothing in print, and your local has no idea, then you have nothing at all and no one here can help.

Best of luck.
Yeah sounds about right. That’s why I’m asking here for anything that can help.