Seasonal start date vs. permanent start date

McKinney94

I started 12/01/2021 as a seasonal dockworker and was “rehired” 01/17/2022 even though I never stopped coming to work. Which would be my true start date?
0A938A08-B81C-4837-B45E-FDE5E7439943.jpeg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Don't feel so bad, I had several started dates.
Back when I first started everything was on paper and nobody could recall where those papers were kept.

He still got boned they waiting until the middle of January to make him permanent when he never stopped working.
He was hired during the free period.
It was kind of like a pre-trial run

It also says a company of boatload of money on benefits.
So he will not get any paid holidays till next year anyway or vacations and will not be eligible for healthcare until the middle of September.

But at least he got his foot in the door.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
He was hired during the free period.
It was kind of like a pre-trial run

It also says a company of boatload of money on benefits.
So he will not get any paid holidays till next year anyway or vacations and will not be eligible for healthcare until the middle of September.

But at least he got his foot in the door.
I was hired during peak too. My seniority date is January 2nd. I know it happens but they usually give you seniority the first of the next year.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I started 12/01/2021 as a seasonal dockworker and was “rehired” 01/17/2022 even though I never stopped coming to work. Which would be my true start date? View attachment 380994
@McKinney94 : both of those can be considered "start" dates. Why do you want to know about a "true start date"? Perhaps a more meaningful date would be your "seniority date"; which is used for things such as applying pay raises, paid time off, other benefits eligibility, etc.

It appears the company considers 01/17/2022 is, or will be, your "seniority" date. (The 12/01/2021 is a Seasonal hire date, 01/17/2022 is a Permanent hire date) I suggest you check with a knowledgeable coworker, union shop steward, or someone at your Local Union office for 2 reasons:
  1. find out what the probationary time period is where you are (if you work XX days in YY time period, outside of a "seasonal" or "free hire" period, and you keep working working after that, you are now a permanent "seniority" employee. XX and YY are different depending on where you are in the country)
  2. Plot twist: at least where I am, if you did in fact work uninterrupted between your "seasonal hire" period and your permanent hire (Continous Service) date; it means the company screwed up and your "seniority date" should actually be 12/01/2021. So it would be a really, really good idea to talk to your Union Shop Steward or Local Union Office ASAP (do not ask your supervisors/manager about this until you have first checked with your Union).

@McKinney94 : both of those can be considered "start" dates. Why do you want to know about a "true start date"? Perhaps a more meaningful date would be your "seniority date"; which is used for things such as applying pay raises, paid time off, other benefits eligibility, etc.

It appears the company considers 01/17/2022 is, or will be, your "seniority" date. (The 12/01/2021 is a Seasonal hire date, 01/17/2022 is a Permanent hire date) I suggest you check with a knowledgeable coworker, union shop steward, or someone at your Local Union office for 2 reasons:
  1. find out what the probationary time period is where you are (if you work XX days in YY time period, outside of a "seasonal" or "free hire" period, and you keep working working after that, you are now a permanent "seniority" employee. XX and YY are different depending on where you are in the country)
  2. Plot twist: at least where I am, if you did in fact work uninterrupted between your "seasonal hire" period and your permanent hire (Continous Service) date; it means the company screwed up and your "seniority date" should actually be 12/01/2021. So it would be a really, really good idea to talk to your Union Shop Steward or Local Union Office ASAP (do not ask your supervisors/manager about this until you have first checked with your Union).
Nobody hired in December gets that as his seniority date that's the free period

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Nobody hired in December gets that as his seniority date that's the free period
Like I said, where I am, if you are not "laid off" for at least one day between your seasonal/free period and the "permanent" start date, that is a violation of the contract and a valid, winning grievance. And, at least around here, the company does regularly offer the option of permanent or seasonal employment to Peak season hires, with no objection from the Local Union.

Like I said, where I am, if you are not "laid off" for at least one day between your seasonal/free period and the "permanent" start date, that is a violation of the contract and a valid, winning grievance. And, at least around here, the company does regularly offer the option of permanent or seasonal employment to Peak season hires, with no objection from the Local Union.
They are not going to give him his Peak seniority date

Steamer

I never really got hired on as an RPCD. I just hung around long enough to grow on everyone. Months later after a summer seasonal run my ORS walked by and said you're hired, you made it. LOL

Commercial Inside Release

Yep, seasonal period is until the 2nd week in January. Been that way for a long time. The actual date varies year to year, but Monday of the third week in January is the earliest your seniority date would be.