SEASONAL TEMPORARY package delivery driving position

ss37ss37

Hi,
I have an interview tomorrow for seasonal temporary package delivery and i've been reading this brown cafe for days only to be more confused so i'll just ask.They say the job goes from may 1rst to aug 31rst then possibly nov 1rst to dec 31rst.

1. If i work the summer after 30 days do you begin to have some seniority or not?And if not how do you gain it?
2. If there are so many part timers on the inside why would they want someone from the outside?
3. If they offer this to me and i take it ,when if ever does a person get to accrue some senoirity?
4. Whats the difference between a cover driver and a seasonal driver or a casual driver?
5. If i'm lucky enough to start there how do you know ranking wise where you stand?

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help answer these questions for me. From reading this brown cafe i understand about waiting in line and serving time but i want to make sure if i put in time where and when i might accrue seniority.Thank you very much!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In this area, you do not gain seniority. You are temporary and "on call" you gain seniority by sucking up, basically. Skip all of your lunches, run, make your numbers look the best in the center.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
1. If i work the summer after 30 days do you begin to have some seniority or not?And if not how do you gain it?
No, hence the term SEASONAL TEMPORARY. You only gain seniority as a permanent employee, be it part time or full time.
2. If there are so many part timers on the inside why would they want someone from the outside?
  • Then the part time inside position needs to be covered.
  • Many PT inside may have no desire to be a full time driver, or may be waiting to finish school. Of those that do, some may otherwise not qualify (not yet 21, ticket or accident on driving record, can't drive stick shift, etc.).
  • If someone is also working another job, they would have to quit it and then be stuck with only the PT inside job at the end of the seasonal periods.
  • No guarantee of work (income). I knew someone who only worked only a handful of days as a seasonal driver before coming back to the evening part time shift. I don't recall if he was offered work on the morning part time shift, but I don't think he was.
3. If they offer this to me and i take it ,when if ever does a person get to accrue some senoirity?
Only when hired as a permanent employee. As far as what time of the year, it will vary by the regional supplemental Teamster contracts. And as you may or may not have gleaned from perusing this site, there is a hiring ratio of 6 insiders to 1 outside/off-the-street/part-time supervisor.
4. Whats the difference between a cover driver and a seasonal driver or a casual driver?
The term cover driver has different connotations, depending on the regional Teamster contract. But at the risk of oversimplification, I would say cover drivers are permanent employees (some are part time, some full time-varies locally) with seniority and benefits, and a guarantee of work. A seasonal/casual works when they need another body.
5. If i'm lucky enough to start there how do you know ranking wise where you stand?
You don't. But if you do the run/skip lunch & breaks thing you might be given preference over a part-time supervisor, when the one outside hire permanent slot comes open in accordance with the 6:1 ratio. As far as how long that might be, I would caution you to take anything your supervisors or HR says with a grain of salt, and ask the other drivers in the building.

ss37ss37

Thanks hondo,

When they advertised this job it said full-time Package Delivery Drivers but when they emailed me a reminder of my appointment it said SEASONAL TEMPORARY package delivery driving position so i was not sure if there was difference.Further dowm on the web site it says

UPS is accepting applications for full-time Package Delivery Drivers. This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. A DOT physical exam is required. Package Delivery Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills, including the ability to operate a vehicle equipped with a standard (manual) transmission. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live.Package Delivery Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays.

The place i applied says full time but the email says seasonal temp so im not sure and with so many people on this site saying don't believe management that's why i am asking members here.Its hard to imagine they want you to go to intergrad school only to use you a little bit here and there.Is this the worst way to try to start a career here?

Thanks again

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
^^^^^Actually, I would it would be a good start. Do it over the summer. See what you think of it. Then hire on part time, getting a seniority date. Immediately get your name on the list for full time driver, and keep signing up to do seasonal driving. What is bad is in some areas of the country the company has 'part time cover' drivers and does a pretty good job of using them to avoid adding another regular full time driver.
Or, as I heard from a union steward in Indiana, what works there is not going seasonal driving; let the company hire seasonal(s) off-the-street. Then, after a few seasonals quit (because the workload is much more than they imagined), they (the union) gets the company to add a regular full time driver from the part-time ranks.

I would add: go ahead and get the required driver's license or at least a permit. In IL it's a class 'C', non-CDL. I think Indiana calls it a 'chauffeur' license or endorsement. Basically whatever your state requires to drive a truck weighing up to 26,000 lbs with hydraulic (not air) brakes. And a copy of your driving record (abstract).

UPS_HOPEFULL

Hi,
I have an interview tomorrow for seasonal temporary package delivery and i've been reading this brown cafe for days only to be more confused so i'll just ask.They say the job goes from may 1rst to aug 31rst then possibly nov 1rst to dec 31rst.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help answer these questions for me. From reading this brown cafe i understand about waiting in line and serving time but i want to make sure if i put in time where and when i might accrue seniority.Thank you very much!
Did you ever become a full time driver?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Did you ever become a full time driver?
He's typing his response as we speak.

upload_2017-12-27_22-25-49.png