Security Officer Bother. Will it escalate?

brob5111

Yesterday I was leaving work and there was a car flashing their emergency lights, barely moving, blocking the right turning lane to leave so I went around this vehicle. As soon as I went around the vehicle, I look to left and see a security guard SUV trying to drive up on me to block from turning right. I was confused, so I stopped and tried to let him go as if he was trying to get in front of me to turn right before I was for whatever reason. I look over and see him yelling at me through the window. Since he wasn't going, I turned right and left the facility. He followed me out of the facility and pulled up next to my car at my next red light. He started harassing me, yelling at me and asking what my problem was. Claiming that I could cause an accident with my actions. I have no idea what he was talking about because alls I did was go around somebody who had their emergency lights on and I think he failed to notice that. Anyway, the person in my passenger seat who is a friend that I work with started yelling back at the guy and they were arguing. The security guard started saying "Im not a rent a cop I will lock you up", "I will knock you out", and at the end he told me "On Monday you will be in the LP explaining yourself". I have no idea what the LP is, but moments after I turned on the highway and the confrontation was over. The whole time I was just trying to eliminate the situation but him and my friend were arguing. What are the chances he really follows up with this situation? I didn't do anything wrong, and the guy claimed I will have to explain to "LP" how my friend was being an ":censored2:" (for yelling back at the guard). He told me "you will be in the LP on Monday I guarantee it" and he has my plates. My question is is this guy serious? what are the chances hes going to follow up? If he wanted to get my friend in trouble for arguing back with him wouldn't he have done it right then and there? Is the guy even suppose to follow me out of the facility? I did nothing wrong whatsoever

TheKid99

The security guy may be a sworn officer with a second job as a security officer.

If that's the case lol idk what to say.

And LP is loss prevention/security I think don't quote me on that

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Yesterday I was leaving work and there was a car flashing their emergency lights, barely moving, blocking the right turning lane to leave so I went around this vehicle. As soon as I went around the vehicle, I look to left and see a security guard SUV trying to drive up on me to block from turning right. I was confused, so I stopped and tried to let him go as if he was trying to get in front of me to turn right before I was for whatever reason. I look over and see him yelling at me through the window. Since he wasn't going, I turned right and left the facility. He followed me out of the facility and pulled up next to my car at my next red light. He started harassing me, yelling at me and asking what my problem was. Claiming that I could cause an accident with my actions. I have no idea what he was talking about because alls I did was go around somebody who had their emergency lights on and I think he failed to notice that. Anyway, the person in my passenger seat who is a friend that I work with started yelling back at the guy and they were arguing. The security guard started saying "Im not a rent a cop I will lock you up", "I will knock you out", and at the end he told me "On Monday you will be in the LP explaining yourself". I have no idea what the LP is, but moments after I turned on the highway and the confrontation was over. The whole time I was just trying to eliminate the situation but him and my friend were arguing. What are the chances he really follows up with this situation? I didn't do anything wrong, and the guy claimed I will have to explain to "LP" how my friend was being an ":censored2:" (for yelling back at the guard). He told me "you will be in the LP on Monday I guarantee it" and he has my plates. My question is is this guy serious? what are the chances hes going to follow up? If he wanted to get my friend in trouble for arguing back with him wouldn't he have done it right then and there? Is the guy even suppose to follow me out of the facility? I did nothing wrong whatsoever

Um, yeah he is a rent-a-cop and has no authority to do anything other than wand your nutsack. I would have kept on driving and just laughed it off. LP aren't cops either. If they call you in, go with your steward and tell them his actions. I would call the UPS hotline too. Really make a point!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Um, yeah he is a rent-a-cop and has no authority to do anything other than wand your nutsack. I would have kept on driving and just laughed it off. LP aren't cops either. If they call you in, go with your steward and tell them his actions. I would call the UPS hotline too. Really make a point!

LP may not be cops but they are certainly not rent-a-cops either.

brob5111

I did nothing wrong with my vehicle. The only thing that could possibly be an issue is the fact that my friend argued back with him.

FilingBluesFL

Sounds like you should have just left him a nice smokey burnout.

That's what I would have done.

Tires on the PUBLIC right of way, of course. Not on UPS property.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
LP is loss prevention, low level corporate security paid directly by UPS. Corporate security investigators are often retired state troopers, whereas LP are usually entry level corporate security, usually hired off the street into that roll or laterally from an entry level management position. The security guy you encountered with the car with the amber lights is not a ups employee, works part time for an outside company and usually makes just over minimum wage. He has no authority to lock anything up other than his bicycle to the bike rack. The only way he has arrest powers is if he is also a police officer, in which case if he was working as a security guard and effected an arrest in that capacity he'd likely be in trouble with the department and the security company. Now that being said UPS requires that we cooperate with security and I've been approached by LP when I had a robust debate with an overzealous security guard and they weren't thrilled with me.

Overpaid Union Thug

Unless its illegal to pass a car that's barely moving in a passing lane then I don't see the problem with what you did and also don't see why the renta cop would give a crap. How far from the actual turn was the car when you passed it?

clean hairy

Shoulda turned your phone on to at least get voice recording. Then, you eliminate "he said, he said"
And as soon as you get home make copies of the recording, just in case in gets deleted off your phone by "accident" if you play it for the company reps.
Also, buy a dash cam, that way, in the fute, it is video proof of what happened as well.