Sedition in the Senate?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
http://www.bloombergview.com/articl...cans-warn-iran-and-obama-that-deal-won-t-last

It would seem to be a violation of the Logan Act.

Not the first time Republicans have pulled this sort of thing. Nixon in 1968 and Reagan in 1979 are established precedents, though by Presidential candidates, not by sitting Senators.

The Logan Act only has had one indictment (in 1803) in its two hundred plus years which is the main reason it has not been struck down by the Supreme Court.

Democrats have been in violation of this Act more often than Republicans according to the link you provided ... George McGovern being one of the latest.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not the first time Republicans have pulled this sort of thing. Nixon in 1968 and Reagan in 1979 are established precedents, though by Presidential candidates, not by sitting Senators.

That's one of the great aspects of the US National government that it's citizens and elected officials can speak out against what the government is doing in secret.

Many Democrats have had the courage to do so when it was a Republican president.

I applaud them all for helping the transparency in government.

Sportello

If only we could post in real time, instead of the dreadful queue.

Party lines are meaningless, when speaking historically.
That's one of the great aspects of the US National government that it's citizens and elected officials can speak out against what the government is doing in secret.

You forgot the /s for sarcasm.

I would love to see courage and transparency in government. More than that, I would love to see a government that wasn't bought by people who don't share my interests.

Sportello

People who share your interest don't have the money to buy influence in government.

Well, we did have substantially more votes than the opposition, but due to gerrymandering, a lot of them didn't count towards representation.

In addition to that, your statement is completely false. I think it would be more accurate to say that people who share my interests have morals.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
More than that, I would love to see a government that wasn't bought by people who don't share my interests.
People who share your interest don't have the money to buy influence in government.
I think it would be more accurate to say that people who share my interests have morals.
I simply replied to your wish that, "I would love to see a government that wasn't bought by people who don't share my interests."

Do have to try and spin everything away from the subject?

As for your last sentence, I think it is more accurate stated, "people who share my interests have my morals."

Sportello

I simply replied to your wish that, "I would love to see a government that wasn't bought by people who don't share my interests."
When the few buy the Government, the Democracy, as thin as it was, ceases to exist
Do have to try and spin everything away from the subject?
The subject was sedition in the Senate, and you spun from that immediately.

As for your last sentence, I think it is more accurate stated, "people who share my interests have my morals."
Yes, you are correct. My morals are Humanist, or Christian, or Buddhist...treat everyone as you would be treated. If that is opposed to your morals, so be it.

Sportello

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/9/8180933/zarif-cotton-letter
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif has published an official response to the Republican letter to Iran's leaders, signed by 47 Senators, warning that Congress or a future president might overturn a nuclear deal if they dislike the terms.
The Iranians have a better grasp on the Constitution than those Republican Senators.

I wish Holder would arrest them all as a final act.