Self driving truck makes delivery

brett636

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned over this as a feeder driver, but I should put emphasis on the "little" part. If you watch the video the driver lets the system take over after he has it safely on the interstate and in the center lane. Just like the autonomous Freightliner that was debuted in the summer of 2015 this truck cannot do much on its own and requires lot of human input to do much beyond keeping the truck in the lane. I have 25 years of driving left in me and I feel pretty confident that I will get to finish out all 25. These systems will allow us as drivers to be safer and to drive longer, but to replace us is an entirely different matter. Too many variables on the roads these days for even the best A.I system to master. I won't even get into the malfunctioning part of vehicles where something can go wrong and someone needs to be there to take control if and when it does. In the short term this won't affect my job at all, longterm this will make my job much easier, and maybe it will be my replacement. By then I hope to have the title "retiree" that we all look forward to having one day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem is that if this does go full scale, UPS will expect a pay cut from all drivers across the board.
This would affect retirees when the amount of money going into the pension fund gets slashed huge.

As of right now, I don't see the government allowing it for a long time.
Planes can fly all by themselves with computers , but FAA still require 2 qualified pilots to be on there.
You would still need drivers for rural routes where driveways are used all the time.
I don't see anyone in the North being impacted since I don't know how a computer could see through a snow covered road, let alone lens being covered in ice.

Will be hard to implement it to package. Too many scenarios and decisions.
But isnt that why we have Orion now? So an ignorant multi billion dollar computer system can make the decision to have me deliver my commercial at the end of my day when i make my pickups?? All in the interest of trying to save miles.... lets keep those customers happy

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Does the robot know to use the side door because Mom is in a wheelchair and can't use that door? How about bagging because it might rain later and you know Mr Jones works late?

jaker

trolling
I don't think we will see full automation until you can get everyone to have one

So until they figure out how to give away cars to everyone or force everyone to buy one then it will be awhile